Thread: Greta Thunberg

Hybrid View

Mentioned
    304 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Samson View Post
    No one? Underage popstars are constantly criticized for being "pimped." Check out the shit Bieber's mother had to endure - not saying she does or doesn't deserve it.

Greta is a popstar alright: starring in the greatest circus of all.
    yeah, what about the other 13 people I've mentioned? the last thread about eilish i've seen here has never mentioned that she was being pimped.

Mentioned
    155 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ooo View Post
    yeah, what about the other 13 people I've mentioned? the last thread about eilish i've seen here has never mentioned that she was being pimped.
    Using children as a tool to promote political stances is a new phenomenon, people are not as used to it.

Mentioned
    304 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Armalite View Post
    Using children as a tool to promote political stances is a new phenomenon, people are not as used to it.
    why is she being used, by whom? I recall she decided by herself to stop attending school, appear infront of the parliament, attend the protests, go vegan, convert her parents to her views, travel the world... it's true that nothing she's saying is new, yet since she's around green politics has never seen this exploit.

she's a little weirdo and people are more used to see hyper-sexualized kids with no contents than a weirdo with strong opinions... what a sad world.

Mentioned
    155 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

why is she being used, by whom? I recall she decided by herself to stop attending school, appear infront of the parliament, attend the protests, go vegan, convert her parents to her views, travel the world... it's true that nothing she's saying is new, yet since she's around green politics has never seen this exploit.
    Yeah, cuz any 16 year old could do that all on their own, everyone knows that

Mentioned
    155 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Btw I don't think she's a weirdo, just the whole way it's presented seems a bit off to me

Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Btw I don't think she's a weirdo, just the whole way it's presented seems a bit off to me
    Everything she says is right. But just because you are right doesn't mean you are right. You know? The energy economy isn't going anywhere and she preaches austerity, when you get right down to it.

Pretty much she, and many others like her, believe with utmost conviction that we should stop using fossil fuels altogether, right now. This is simply impossible. Civilization would collapse. There is no other energy source like fossil fuels that is logistically feasible.

And there never will be. So we will use it all up no matter what Governments enforce.

imo this is all a character study in youthful idealism. I think everyone goes though an age and stage where the greater world becomes important and your ideals are born at about 16 years old.

The trick is to live long enough to watch your idealism die. No country for old men.

Mentioned
    304 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, cuz any 16 year old could do that all on their own, everyone knows that
    hm? I'm not getting it. what couldn't she do on her own? I've done most of those things myself at her age, and of course, my parents would help and support me where they could.

pierre casiraghi didn't pop up to accompany me around the world with his supersonic yacht, I'm not sure I'd have refused his offer though... lol

there's one thing that goes into Greta's favor, her autism. one feature of autism is the obsession over some things, why many autistics have OCD and other side effects. I think obsession is the word here. 'cause obviously this girl didn't do it all alone, but behind her there's her obsession over something very important, that is shaking the world.

other people are obsesses about music and their own image, and they're not even autistic, they are obviously pimped, they have all the respect they deserve.

TIM
    psyche 4w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    1005 Post(s)
    Tagged
    42 Thread(s)

she's a little weirdo and people are more used to see hyper-sexualized kids with no contents than a weirdo with strong opinions... what a sad world.
    The issue I see here is this kid is running on pure fear. Her emotional pleas even got under my skin, for different reasons. I am also concerned about climate change for my own reasons. Her pleas broke my heart. Yes, I turned it off. There was real pain and anxiety in her voice which is sad. It should be adults dealing with this stuff and allowing kids to be kids. If it was my kid I would make sure they got the help they needed to live a more balanced life while pursuing whatever goals they have. I would not let them quit school so young. Kids need some boundaries. It is fine she is trying to speak on climate change but like I said in my other post, I think there is much more going on here than what we see.
    Last edited by Aylen; 09-24-2019 at 06:23 PM.

“My typology is . . . not in any sense to stick labels on people at first sight. It is not a physiognomy and not an anthropological system, but a critical psychology dealing with the organization and delimitation of psychic processes that can be shown to be typical.”​ —C.G. Jung

YWIMW

Mentioned
    304 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Aylen View Post
    The issue I see here is this kid is running on pure fear. Here emotional pleas even got under my skin, for different reasons. I am also concerned about climate change for my own reasons. Her pleas broke my heart. Yes, I turned it off. There was real pain and anxiety in her voice which is sad. It should be adults dealing with this stuff and allowing kids to be kids. If it was my kid I would make sure they got the help they needed to live a more balanced life while pursuing whatever goals they have. I would not let them quit school so young. Kids need some boundaries. It is fine she is trying to speak on climate change but like I said in my other post, I think there is much more going on here than what we see.
    well I don't know of the dark plots behind her image. I think her voice has all the right reasons to be heard, as she has all the right reasons to be scared, as other kids who became heroines for social causes (Malala, Tamimi, Khatun and many others) felt the right to speak, to voice their fears, yes, but with the will to change the future, too.

I wouldn't make it too big a deal about her quitting school, I agree it's not the best, but she has an history of bullying at school, which I know you don't really care about unless it addresses sexual identity causes that are dear to you, but they're definitely harming for a kid. better home schooling, which I'm pretty sure she's attending, than dealing with harassment.

we all have our burden of causes dear to us, we just can't condemn some girl for having a higher sensitivity to some cause than us...

TIM
    psyche 4w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    1005 Post(s)
    Tagged
    42 Thread(s)

well I don't know of the dark plots behind her image. I think her voice has all the right reasons to be heard, as she has all the right reasons to be scared, as other kids who became heroines for social causes (Malala, Tamimi, Khatun and many others) felt the right to speak, to voice their fears, yes, but with the will to change the future, too.

I wouldn't make it too big a deal about her quitting school, I agree it's not the best, but she has an history of bullying at school, which I know you don't really care about unless it addresses sexual identity causes that are dear to you, but they're definitely harming for a kid. better home schooling, which I'm pretty sure she's attending, than dealing with harassment.

we all have our burden of causes dear to us, we just can't condemn some girl for having a higher sensitivity to some cause than us...
    You made some valid points but not sure where you get that I only care about sexual identity causes since I said nothing like that and it is far from true. You missed my point. I didn't condemn her and I didn't say she didn't have the right to speak either.

Home school is a valid option for continuing her education. There are two kids (my brother's gf's) who live in my home and have always been home schooled even before they moved here. I am sure they will be home schooled after they move out too.

Edit: Maybe it was before your time on the forum but the cause I have mentioned most in my posts was homelessness and poverty. I helped the homeless in the areas I lived in the best ways I could.

Edt2: From talking to the homeless in various towns and cities I lived in I discovered mental health issues were at the root of most of their problems when it comes to individuals, not families. You can also add mental health issues to my list of causes. I don't really consider these causes. It's just being a decent human being to those society generally ignores as they walk past them texting on their $$$ phones.
    Last edited by Aylen; 09-25-2019 at 02:08 PM.

“My typology is . . . not in any sense to stick labels on people at first sight. It is not a physiognomy and not an anthropological system, but a critical psychology dealing with the organization and delimitation of psychic processes that can be shown to be typical.”​ —C.G. Jung

YWIMW

Mentioned
    304 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You made some valid points but not sure where you get that I only care about sexual identity causes since I said nothing like that and it is far from true. You missed my point. I didn't condemn her and I didn't say she didn't have the right to speak either.
    I was making a remark about your mod attitude of the last times: letting streams of shit go and only taking action for sexual identity silly remarks.

I know you're better than that. but it makes me wonder... (I've addressed other mods too, so I guess I'm being fair saying this.)

Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The issue I see here is this kid is running on pure fear. Her emotional pleas even got under my skin, for different reasons. I am also concerned about climate change for my own reasons. Her pleas broke my heart. Yes, I turned it off. There was real pain and anxiety in her voice which is sad. It should be adults dealing with this stuff and allowing kids to be kids. If it was my kid I would make sure they got the help they needed to live a more balanced life while pursuing whatever goals they have. I would not let them quit school so young. Kids need some boundaries. It is fine she is trying to speak on climate change but like I said in my other post, I think there is much more going on here than what we see.

I think that it is a kid is what makes this quite poignant. That she is triggering people based on her age is exactly what the movement needed and this was only going to come from a Child character.

Not some sterile scientist, or Government official, but a youth young child on the verge of womanhood, begs for her future.

That is kind of the whole point of Greta. An articulate young girl pleads with Humanity. Its poetry, or puppetry. Same difference really.

Everything is both authentic and window dressing at the same time.

Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not really. Nothing new here.