Quote Originally Posted by jason_m View Post
Honestly, I don't like it because, if I come to the conclusion that I'm thinking type, I have to admit that I'm some sort of miser with giving to charities, etc. If I come to the conclusion that I'm feeling type, I have to admit that I'm illogical, weak critical thinker, etc. I don't like either conclusion.
Hmm as far as I recall, Jung described Feeling types as being able to think and use logic just fine, otoh their Thinking is usually kind of borrowed rather than truly creating them with own Thinking. Tho' ofcourse they can create some too, it's just not their real mode of being. Also, their Thinking is subjected to adjustment to Feeling values, so, a Feeling type would not like to think about cold inhumane thoughts / it feels cold to them in a way it does not feel to a Thinking type. This does mean they are less of a truly critical thinker than a Thinking type but a Feeling type would not actually want to be as much of such a critical thinker since again, they'd find that too cold and not humane enough / the criticality would feel overdone to them. This is how the theory goes. Modern scientific studies have shown that Jung was correct as far as neuronal networks for mechanical logic will end up inhibiting the networks for the social (humane) approach and vice versa, under the right circumstances. They also show that the two approaches of rationality and emotionality intertwine in a crucially important way for much of basic functioning / executive functioning too, which way can be viewed as compatible with some of Jung's ideas again.

If we go by this theory, then I do think you'd be a Feeling type btw because you focus more on human and personal factors in evaluating this issue. As far as the theory is any good, aside from scientific results, you can definitely see distinct preferences for some people. Not necessarily an easily visible preference for all people and I wouldn't be able to tell you why - the theory could be wrong with the idea that everyone has a distinct preference, or it's hard to detect with some bc they are close to being fully balanced.

But you're right - there are probably several factors that are conflated that's causing it. My theory:

1) You either like giving to charities or you don't.
2) If you give, you either give in a rational/calculated way, or you do not.

- I like giving, but I prefer to give in a way that is calculated - having certain principles of giving, limits to what I give, etc.

Those two are probably conflated and cause a problem...
I agree, these are two different things in your list. 1) Whether someone likes to give barely depends on the Thinking/Feeling preference really. As for 2)... Well like I said Feeling types have logic too according to the theory

I also can't come to a conclusion, because, at the back of my mind, I feel that anything is possible - "in principle, even some of the best theories can be overturned." That makes it very hard to come to a solid conclusion.
That's true, they can be overturned with new data. But I do think there is a real world so some statements we make are connected with how things actually are... it can't all be randomly changed around