Quote Originally Posted by jason_m View Post
I should give more background as to why I made the above post.

This thread was actually inspired by this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_YT-MtAvbR8

I'm sorry, read between the lines here. What is this video (and therefore the MBTI) actually saying? It is implying that people who give to charities have a nice heart, but they don't have strong enough logic to see that what they are doing isn't rational. I.e., they are really good people at heart, but they are logically inept. And what is it implying about thinking types? It is saying that they are logically smart, but in some way actually like 'Scrooge' about money, giving to others, etc. I find this message idiotic. Even the ideas that the 'ENTP' was using as criticism against giving to charities were dumb. This seems to be the whole message about thinking and feeling in the MBTI. And then I realized if this applies to the MBTI, it probably applies to socionics as well. And if it applies to both, it is relevant to the people of this forum. Then there are therefore dark undertones to certain types and how they should act. I am sorry, I am good enough critical thinker to not buy into at least this notion of both theories. I honestly hope you would agree...
Well the problem is observing a certain trait in people, and extrapolating to all of their personalities. You can't know 100% of their personality traits, unless you observed 100%, which is practically impossible.

The fact is that people are logical some of the time, people are feeling some of the time, but definitely not all of the time. It depends on the appropriateness of the situation, etc. It's very doubtful that someone will be emotional when he's trying to solve some logical problems, and it's very doubtful that someone will be logical when he's listening to some music.

Stereotypes of "ENTP" and "ISFJ" can exist. But it's doubtful that that's how they act all of the time. They may change their minds, they may change over time, they may learn new things that make them see things in different ways. The most important of all, it doesn't explain why they're behaving that way.

My personal view is that people don't differ in their ability to be logical and rational. But some people may have less feelings, or even are just less aware of their own feelings and the feelings of others.