Thread: What's Wrong with Socionics - Take Two

Hybrid View

Mentioned
    264 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Myst View Post
    You can classify the entire population and cognition in various ways. That's not the problem. The problem is that the way it's done in the model is no good yeah. The only thing I am arguing with you about here is that it does have explanations and these can be checked in a scientific way (and yes I do think it would disprove the model pretty goddamn fast lol) while you think it's just categories...
    Okay, then show me where the explanations are, and show me how it can be tested in a scientific way.

When people think of making Socionics "objective" or "scientific", they just think, "Oh, we should just find a way to make typing objective!". But that's not the point.

That's like saying we should make taxonomies in biology objective. But if we were to do that, we'd need to analyze the DNA and things like that. And in order to do that, we'd need an explanation of the Darwinian theory of evolution. We'd need to understand that all organisms have a common ancestor, and that things gradually evolved over time, and each species diverged at some point by the pressures of the environment.

And Socionics... doesn't have that kind of theory or an explanation that makes classification possible or "objective".

TIM
    LSI-Se sx
    Mentioned
    510 Post(s)
    Tagged
    25 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Singu View Post
    Okay, then show me where the explanations are
    Please reread my earlier post for reference to the explanations. This one: https://www.the16types.info/vbulleti...=1#post1351032

and show me how it can be tested in a scientific way.
    For example: after operationalising the definitions, have some people typed (according to operationalised criteria) and check interactions between people (again according to operationalised criteria) to see if there is any difference in the interactions between different types according to Socionics ITR predictions. We would not expect it to predict precisely, as many other factors will always be at play too, but we would expect to see significant enough differences. And so you can say if they are there or they are not there.....

Have these people typed independent of the above checking so there is no bias influencing anything.

I was originally also interested in conducting EEG or brain imaging experiments according to predictions of Socionics regarding cognition (this part isn't about ITR). I did devise some experiment design for EEG, I didn't try to do that though. And now I'm no longer interested in the original form... I am still very interested in doing the experiment in another form, i.e. a similar idea, without using any Socionics related model whatsoever, either the original Socionics one or mine or *anything* related whatsoever. I am past that.

When people think of making Socionics "objective" or "scientific", they just think, "Oh, we should just find a way to make typing objective!". But that's not the point.
    Well Singu darling you are talking to someone who has done actual scientific experiments

That's like saying we should make taxonomies in biology objective. But if we were to do that, we'd need to analyze the DNA and things like that. And in order to do that, we'd need an explanation of the Darwinian theory of evolution. We'd need to understand that all organisms have a common ancestor, and that things gradually evolved over time, and each species diverged at some point by the pressures of the environment.

And Socionics... doesn't have that kind of theory or an explanation that makes classification possible or "objective".
    Again, see my earlier post I linked to above.

By the way, evolution theory is way past the Darwinian version now.

Mentioned
    264 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Please reread my earlier post for reference to the explanations. This one: https://www.the16types.info/vbulleti...=1#post1351032
    Ok... and what is it explaining?

The entire point of "typologies" and "personality theories"... is that it's about classification of people...!

For example: after operationalising the definitions, have some people typed (according to operationalised criteria) and check interactions between people (again according to operationalised criteria) to see if there is any difference in the interactions between different types according to Socionics ITR predictions. We would not expect it to predict precisely, as many other factors will always be at play too, but we would expect to see significant enough differences. And so you can say if they are there or they are not there.....
    Then that's just correlation, not causation. There's no way of knowing whether the interaction has to do with "types" or not.

I mean look, the Socionics ITR is basically just statistics, and making it more statistically rigorous isn't going to be the answer.

Have these people typed independent of the above checking so there is no bias influencing anything.
    How do you know what's the "correct" way to type, or not?

Well Singu darling you are talking to someone who has done actual scientific experiments
    Well no offense but you're not very good at it.

By the way, evolution theory is way past the Darwinian version now.
    Yes I am aware of that.

TIM
    LSI-Se sx
    Mentioned
    510 Post(s)
    Tagged
    25 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Singu View Post
    Ok... and what is it explaining?

The entire point of "typologies" and "personality theories"... is that it's about classification of people...!
    Not my problem if you can't read

Then that's just correlation, not causation. There's no way of knowing whether the interaction has to do with "types" or not.

I mean look, the Socionics ITR is basically just statistics, and making it more statistically rigorous isn't going to be the answer.
    Read up on how scientific experiments are done and why

How do you know what's the "correct" way to type, or not?
    Read up on what operationalising means in science and in scientific experiments

Well no offense but you're not very good at it.
    No offense but you are an idiot.

If you think you can judge this better than actual scientists I've worked with lol.

Yes I am aware of that.
    Now you are that I let you know about it....

And with that, I'm done, I lost my last shred of respect and goodwill for you lol. I can't even find the arguing entertaining anymore, you are too below my level for that