Quote Originally Posted by coeruleum View Post
Of course you can engage a culture without belonging to it. Open cultures exist. What do you define ethnicity as? "Ethnic food" is a common way to refer to the food of other cultures and the term clearly has nothing to do with people's race. Eating a ton of Italian food won't make me Italian, but moving to Italy could make me Italian, and I wouldn't change my ancestry in either case.
Exactly, the fact of the matter is the vast majority of 1st generation immigrants will never fully integrate into the nation they move in aside from a small minority (if they immigrated to the country at under age 10 or so) and the vast majority of 2nd generation immigrants will fully integrate into the nation they move in to. The solution is obvious if the goal is striving for a multi-ethnic/monocultural society and that is cut down immigration in half at some point in the near future (to let in only highly skilled professionals) rather than a good percentage of it being comprised of cheap labor and eventually bringing it down to zero some time within this century.

Continuing with this current trend of mass immigration in Europe and high legal immigration into Canada and high illegal immigration into the US is a recipe for disaster. In order for 1st world nation to retain their high standard of living and their culture then the number of 1st generation immigrants needs to be far lower than 2nd generation immigrants, which cutting down immigration in half would do and eventually there needs to be near zero immigration in order to retain the current standard of living and culture. Even if we assume the genetic differences between different groups of people are too minor to make a difference then this still needs to be done IMO.