Banned
    TIM
    Heretic
    Mentioned
    151 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ashlesha View Post
    I do have trouble seeing the threat of left wing extremism if anyone (like @Raver, who I think is decent and not a right wing nutjob) wants to explain how my own freedoms are threatened, I've historically seen the anti-SJW thing as a laughable internet phenomenon targeting college kids and other inconsequential people but now and again I see them getting someone fired and im like, ah ok. And I saw they attacked that journalist and he got a brain injury (which im obviously sensitive about) but I don't see mass shooters and real fuckin weirdos like on the right. (But my views, I guess, are biased towards right wing views being weird, I'll concede that..a lone shooter is objectively weirder than window smashing in a group tho, I think)
    The problem is it's being normalized. When ****** had his brownshirts there was lots of window-smashing and no lone shooters, and it wasn't because brownshirts were just angsty teens with blue hair who listened to punk and wanted a group to break windows with.

If I go to a college class and say something like "Shakespeare is great" someone will say I'm oppressing them and I should join them in replacing Shakespeare with some whiny radical feminist author who no one's ever heard of because their writing simply isn't very good. Having a common culture of some form matters a lot because without it we'll go to the Stone Age. People don't have to love Shakespeare and opera but replacing it with authors who aren't very good isn't a viable alternative.

TIM
    IEE e7 783 sx so
    Mentioned
    423 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by coeruleum View Post
    If I go to a college class and say something like "Shakespeare is great" someone will say I'm oppressing them and I should join them in replacing Shakespeare with some whiny radical feminist author who no one's ever heard of because their writing simply isn't very good. Having a common culture of some form matters a lot because without it we'll go to the Stone Age. People don't have to love Shakespeare and opera but replacing it with authors who aren't very good isn't a viable alternative.
    It's not about replacing Shakespeare, it's about expanding the literary canon. All those dead white authors are not in the canon because they are better, but because nobody paid attention to the rest. Zora Neale Hurston is objectively far better than Hemingway, but as a black woman author, she had a much harder time. That's what it's about.
    “Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage.”
    ― Anais Nin

Banned
    TIM
    Heretic
    Mentioned
    151 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kim View Post
    It's not about replacing Shakespeare, it's about expanding the literary canon. All those dead white authors are not in the canon because they are better, but because nobody paid attention to the rest. Zora Neale Hurston is objectively far better than Hemingway, but as a black woman author, she had a much harder time. That's what it's about.
    No, it's about replacing authors. People who actually read have already read Zora Neale Hurtson. People who don't want to read want to get rid of Shakespeare and replace it with Derrida (not black women) and Tumblr poetry. Just because you don't know this is a problem doesn't mean it isn't a problem.

TIM
    IEE e7 783 sx so
    Mentioned
    423 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by coeruleum View Post
    No, it's about replacing authors. People who actually read have already read Zora Neale Hurtson. People who don't want to read want to get rid of Shakespeare and replace it with Derrida (not black women) and Tumblr poetry. Just because you don't know this is a problem doesn't mean it isn't a problem.
    This is not my experience. Also, the people who don't want to read are not the ones who make the decision of what to include on the reading list for a class.
    “Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage.”
    ― Anais Nin