Thread: Democratic Presidential Debate

Threaded View

Mentioned
    224 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Raver View Post
    I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on this. I think the debate is between nationalism vs. cultural assimilation since I think multiculturalism is bound to fail and result in balkanization. I live in a very multicultural city and so far different ethnicities just stick to their own ethnic enclaves and ignore each other.

This is the best case scenario for multiculturalism, in Europe the immigrants are not even integrating properly and causing several issues. Multiculturalism is a failed experiment, which is why we need to look to cultural assimilation or nationalism as the solution to immigration.

All I am saying is that nations in Europe either control or stop immigration like they did in the past instead of allowing mass immigration and open borders. It does not need to be more complicated than that. Anything else is you implying motives that are non existent on my part. You are framing it in a way that implies that if I don't acknowledge the minor genetic differences within nations that I might as well go for open borders, mass immigration and multiculturalism.

This is basically a slippery slope argument. I understand nations don't perfectly capture ethnicity and never will due to their arbitrary nature. That doesn't mean that we can't enforce borders in either controlling immigration or preventing it completely. This is why I refuse to answer your trick question directly on defining what minor is since that is a subjective distinction. I never implied anything else beyond controlling immigration or stopping it for nations.

@Raver, I never said that we shouldn't enforce borders. Anyone can see that it's bad to have unregulated population growth which outstrips our ability to accommodate it with new infrastructure.

The point I want to get across is twofold: 1) genetic differences within nations are not minor, because nations are the arbitrary creations of politicians that didn't follow a genetic map; and 2) if we now accept that nations can have massive internal variability, there's nothing unprecedented about allowing gene flow from the outside.

WRT multiculturalism, I'm not yet sold on the idea that it has failed, but I agree that assimilation is a perfectly sensible solution to the question of integration, regarding which I'd love to see the Germanization of Syrians and the Swedification of people from Timbuktu.

Going further, there's an initiative to craft a German version of Islam, and while I have no intimate knowledge of the project or whether it would strip Islam of its essential characteristics, I agree in principle on the utility and decency for immigrants to energetically imbibe the cultures of their destinations; many do so in fact.
    Last edited by xerx; 07-09-2019 at 05:58 AM. Reason: fixed punctuation :O