Banned
    TIM
    LIE-Ni 8w7 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by xerxe View Post
    If you stopped immigration, they'll just ship the jobs overseas or automate faster.
    Okay, so embrace automation and we don't need immigration.

Mentioned
    224 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mfckrz View Post
    Okay, so embrace automation and we don't need immigration.
    What makes you think I don't?? I want to see all dirty and backbreaking work become automated everywhere.

Banned
    TIM
    LIE-Ni 8w7 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What makes you think I don't?? I want to see all dirty and backbreaking work become automated everywhere.
    So we don't need all these superfluous people coming here (not that we ever did, but there's no sane labor economics argument for it either).

Mentioned
    159 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So we don't need all these superfluous people coming here (not that we ever did, but there's no sane labor economics argument for it either).
    And add to that.....departing from Labor theory economics is part of why we're in the foreign policy mess we're in. You know you fucked up when your country works on an economic theory of "Oh, even if we're digging an absolutely useless hole, laborers will have to be paid for digging the hole and filling it up again, so it's economic stimulus!"
    Fuck Keynesianism in every form. Fuck the MIC and fuck the Petrodollar too.

Mentioned
    224 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Real incomes (insofar as what one can purchase with their earnings) have been flat for 40 years. More women entered the workforce because they had to—impossible now for most to reasonably rear a family on one income.

Expanding the labor supply has been great for business, not so much for the economy.
    If that were true, then real incomes should have been flat or gone down since population increased from 3 million (during the American revolution) to 325 million (today).

I guess it depends on how much you believe in the principle of liberty. Some people believe they should have the liberty to invite immigrants of different races and mingle with them.

The acid test to be a principled Libertarian is whether you support completely open borders; I mean completely open. In my experience, Libertarians who support enforcement are usually Conservatives that want to smoke weed and maybe fuck hookers.

Banned
    TIM
    LIE-Ni 8w7 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If that were true, then real incomes should have been flat or gone down since population increased from 3 million (during the American revolution) to 325 million (today).
    Economic growth kept pace with (or exceeded) population growth, so it wasn't true then. This has no longer been the case.

I guess it depends on how much you believe in the principle of liberty. Some people believe they should have the liberty to invite immigrants of different races and mingle with them.
    Or, liberty to live away from people that don't improve one's quality of life. Dunno about you, but hearing clown polka mariachi music at 2AM is a 'liberty' I can live without.

The acid test to be a principled Libertarian is whether you support completely open borders; I mean completely open. In my experience, Libertarians who support enforcement are usually Conservatives that want to smoke weed and maybe fuck hookers.
    Open borders socialize an entire country into the world's public toilet.

The only coherent libertarian position would be privatized borders. Expanding the franchise of democracy so more people can vote against your interests doesn't make sense.

Mentioned
    224 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Economic growth kept pace with (or exceeded) population growth, so it wasn't true then. This has no longer been the case.
    Then why is population growth the cause of economic stagnation??

Or, liberty to live away from people that don't improve one's quality of life. Dunno about you, but hearing clown polka mariachi music at 2AM is a 'liberty' I can live without.

Open borders socialize an entire country into the world's public toilet.

The only coherent libertarian position would be privatized borders. Expanding the franchise of democracy so more people can vote against your interests doesn't make sense.
    Hey, change the channel if you don't like what's on TV. You have the freedom to live in a gated community / safe space and censor the presence of Mexicans (and presumably Black people). I have the right to trade as much saliva as I want with shaved or unshaved Mexican pussy.

Banned
    TIM
    LIE-Ni 8w7 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Then why is population growth the cause of economic stagnation??
    Basic supply&demand??

Increasing labor supply without a commensurate increase in economic output means no wage growth.

No wage growth + rising costs of living → less savings. And no more middle class. Less savings → less investment, ergo ↓ economic growth.

Consider that there'd have never been a Renaissance without the Black Death. Because rising wages in the aftermath of the plague allowed for the emergence of a middle class and greatly disrupted the wealthy feudal hierarchies who'd been riding high on a mass of cheap labor prior.

With socioeconomic mobility from large numbers of people who can actually save, invest, and own assets… culture tends to follow. Same dynamics can be observed in civilizations of antiquity.

Hey, change the channel if you don't like what's on TV. You have the freedom to live in a gated community / safe space and censor the presence of Mexicans (and presumably Black people).
    Where I live is fine. But resent being forced to take out a $500,000+ mortgage just to live in a decent area because the govt opened the floodgates to let all this in.