Thread: ITR that makes for best roommate situation?

Hybrid View

TIM
    ENTJ-1Te 8w7 sx/so
    Mentioned
    1603 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nefnaf View Post
    When it comes to finding a roommate, DCNH types matter far more than primary type. As do other factors like shared interests, activities, cleanliness, and sleep schedules.

Supervisor roommate is not really a bad thing. Conflict/superego I might be hesitant about. Duality, partial duality, contrary, mirage - sign me up! Other relations are far more difficult to predict purely based on a type. The most troublesome roommate experience I've had was a mirror relation, whereas I got along great with my supervisor.
    I agree with everything @nefnef said, although your mileage may vary.

My best roommate was my ex-wife, my Supervisor, but we shared many interests, activities, cleanliness and sleep schedules. It was probably a bit easier for me than it was for her. I had a Supervisee roommate who was not so great; not horrible, sometimes good, but not great.

Second best, in the sense of not being any trouble, was Extinguishment. We quickly settled into a routine where we interacted almost not at all. We just established absolute rules (you can drink the other guy's beers as long as you replace them within 24 hours, and you never drink the last beer in the fridge if it belongs to him, you clean the place once a week, your dishes are never left unwashed overnight, etc.), and then we proceeded to live our lives as if the other person literally wasn't there. We spoke almost not at all, but still had sympathy for each other.

Two very bad roommates I had were both Mirrors. We irritated the hell out of each other in ways that were almost indescribable. They were both OK guys at a distance, but living with them changed that perception. That j/p difference, coupled with similar other preferences, made for some horrible character surprises.

The absolute worst roommate I had might have been from the opposing quadra. About all I can say about the guy from a Socionics standpoint is that he was an Extroverted Infantile who was terrible at making and saving money, and he'd happily get in my face for stupid reasons. He wanted a woman to support him, he cleaned up great and his room was a health hazard, he borrowed money and didn't pay it back, and he was generally an asshole (from my standpoint. We had a mutual friend who liked both of us.) He also seemed Narcissistic to me, but at that point, it was hard for me to distinguish between every bad characteristic he had. There was absolutely nothing that I liked about the guy. We got into a fistfight in a parking lot. Quasi-Identical?
    Last edited by Adam Strange; 06-19-2019 at 03:44 AM.

TIM
    LII-Ne
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Strange View Post
    Second best, in the sense of not being any trouble, was Extinguishment. We quickly settled into a routine where we interacted almost not at all. We just established absolute rules (you can drink the other guy's beers as long as you replace them within 24 hours, and you never drink the last beer in the fridge if it belongs to him, you clean the place once a week, your dishes are never left unwashed overnight, etc.), and then we proceeded to live our lives as if the other person literally wasn't there. We spoke almost not at all, but still had sympathy for each other.

Two very bad roommates I had were both Mirrors. We irritated the hell out of each other in ways that were almost indescribable. They were both OK guys at a distance, but living with them changed that perception. That j/p difference, coupled with similar other preferences, made for some horrible character surprises.
    Hmm I haven't really had an Extinguishment / Contrary roommate, but there was a guy who stayed in the same hostel as me for a couple of weeks. We would hang out and play cards all the time. I actually learned a lot from him.

What you wrote about mirror could just as well apply to my own experience. I also have a close relative whose type is ILE. We normally have a good relationship, but when we went traveling together and shared a room for a while things got somewhat dicey. Perhaps we can generalize a rule that mirror roommates are especially problematic? It is worth considering.