Thread: Managing PoLR anxiety

Hybrid View

Mentioned
    264 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Strange View Post
    Socionics is like gravity. You are affected by it whether you believe in it or not.
    Quote Originally Posted by Luk View Post
    I agree with you on the "forever" part. I didn't want to imply that sociotypes are permanent. For most people I expect them to be permanent (semi-permanent?), but there's nothing in the model saying they can't change.
    Gravity is an explanation for why something happens the way that it does.

I can say that Person A makes Person B uncomfortable. But the real question is, why? As in my case, the explanation could be that I have subjectively felt that the Person A could do me harm by pointing out my weak points. That's a perfectly legitimate explanation. If I no longer feel that way, then Person A no longer makes me uncomfortable.

But if we don't know why, then we can't say necessarily that Person A making Person B uncomfortable is correlated. It could be that the reason was entirely subjective on the part of Person B, and it had nothing to do with Person A per se.

--

Socionics makes such correlations. It says that "We have observed that Person A making Person B uncomfortable. Therefore, Person X and Person Y who are similar, must act in the same way".

But the explanatory approach would throw the whole thing out: what if the way that Person B feels had nothing to do with Person A? It seeks true causations, and not mere correlations.

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Singu View Post
    Gravity is an explanation for why something happens the way that it does.

I can say that Person A makes Person B uncomfortable. But the real question is, why? As in my case, the explanation could be that I have subjectively felt that the Person A could do me harm by pointing out my weak points. That's a perfectly legitimate explanation. If I no longer feel that way, then Person A no longer makes me uncomfortable.

But if we don't know why, then we can't say necessarily that Person A making Person B uncomfortable is correlated. It could be that the reason was entirely subjective on the part of Person B, and it had nothing to do with Person A per se.

--

Socionics makes such correlations. It says that "We have observed that Person A making Person B uncomfortable. Therefore, Person X and Person Y who are similar, must act in the same way".

But the explanatory approach would throw the whole thing out: what if the way that Person B feels had nothing to do with Person A? It seeks true causations, and not mere correlations.
    I agree that for your description of PoLR, it doesn't make much sense to experience the discomfort if you're not aware of a weakness.

I find it hard to relate to the sense of potential harm. I don't experience "PoLR hits" that way. I don't believe I feel threatened by Se any more than a normal person. I probably respond to displays of aggression less than most people, because I think directly forcing people to do what you want is stupid. I want no part of that.

It doesn't usually matter how much power someone wields over me. I won't do what I think is unreasonable. It will bother them more than it will bother me.

It makes me uncomfortable when someone in a true position of power is making me do stupid things, but I expect an Si Base would also feel uncomfortable. I suspect an Se Base would also not like it.

The only difference is that I will indiscriminately reject Se assessments and never respond with Se myself. I don't want to be seen as someone who forces his will on others. (But I will force my Ti/Ne assessments on others.)

TIM
    alpha NT
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Luk View Post
    ...I won't do what I think is unreasonable...
    It makes me uncomfortable when someone in a true position of power is making me do stupid things...
    I can relate... and I start to reflect whether it can make sense or not, but as an immediate reaction I can't start the task I'm ordered to do.