Thread: My Problem with Socionics

Hybrid View

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FreelancePoliceman View Post
    I agree. And this might be reaching, but LIIs and especially EIIs don't think in such terms; e.g. 'wimps', 'hunks', and so on. They aren't terms that they would think to use, even putting them in quotations like this.

@jason_m, if you're Si base or auxiliary (likely base), you wouldn't "like" using Se; its psychic energy, so to speak, would run counter to that of your dominant function, and witnessing it could very well irritate you. The main difference is that in situations where you'd have to use it, you could use it competently, whereas with the PoLR, overexposure would make you feel shaken, unsettled, and/or insecure, depending on the extent to which you've trained yourself to overcome your natural impulses. From what you've described, Se doesn't seem to make you feel insecure, but just irritated in certain contexts.

I second the Si-base typing. SEI seems particularly likely given weak Ti.
    I should also talk about my experience with Te. (I don't want to get into Se, as it has not been satisfying to talk about at all...) It started in grade eight: I saw how my dad was making money and I wanted to become a 'big-time' accountant, lawyer or CEO. I thought of these as the 'coolest,' most prestigious type of jobs on the planet. As I started working harder in high school, I was doing really well in the math-related courses I was taking; I then thought of doing a double degree in math and business or economics and then go on to get my MBA at some 'big time school.' However, the first big blow came when I co-oped at a bank in grade 12. The work was not like math to me, and I hated stuff like having to count change to the exact decimal point, or repeatedly enter information into this DOS-esque database - again and again. That was when I completely reassessed my goals for career. I read these career preparation books I had, and they suggested that computing is actually a lot like math in that you have to define programs in terms of 'functions,' etc. I also read that you could make $100,000 a year as a software engineer. My goal was then to have a high-paying computer programming job. I went into computer science; it was actually a lot like mathematics and I loved it. My grades and GRE scores were so good that by the end of my 3rd year, I wanted to go to graduate school in computing. My goal then became to get a high-paying computer job OR become a university professor. By the time I finished my computer degree, I was seriously physically ill, and I could not work. Because of these problems, my goal was now just to have a reasonable life and reasonably-well paying career. I was now working once again in an office and just hating it. However, I started studying philosophy in my spare time, and I realized that maybe, if I work hard, I could squeak into a philosophy teaching career. Because of this, my goal was now just to have reasonably interesting work and simply survive - money was no longer important to me. While I was in philosophy, I tried to double major in philosophy and economics and then philosophy and math, but the teachers at my school just sunk me. I eventually just stuck with philosophy and won a medal for attaining the highest marks in philosophy in my gradauting class. However, I spent years being depressed because of my experience with math and economics, and I have just recently come out of it to once again realize that it's important just to have work that you like and simply survive - and for me, business/office work does not fit this criteria at all. So, as you can see, my Te has gone from wanting a professional career to wanting a technical career to an academic career to now money not being important. Really, since I wanted to become an accountant in grade eight, the function has simply 'dissolved.' From this, you can also see that I don't absolutely hate Te, but it's hard to say that it's a valued function. I would also say that I value math/science/philosophy a lot more than Te, maybe to the point that that area is Ti > Te. As I said, I do not hate Te, nor have I always minded it. I simply value Ti more.
    Last edited by jason_m; 05-19-2019 at 04:50 AM.