Thread: Karl Popper, Philosopher of Science

Mentioned
    264 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Karl Popper, Philosopher of Science

What is his TYPE.

"I think Popper is incomparably the greatest philosopher of science that has ever been" - Sir Peter Medawar, winner of the Nobel Prize for medicine.

"My scientific life owes so much to my conversion in 1945... to Popper's teachings on the conduct of investigations... I have endeavoured to follow Popper in the formulation and in the investigation of fundamental problems in neurobiology" - John Eccles, Nobel Prizewinner.

A basic introduction to Karl Popper's general philosophy:

Lecture 1 - Values (You can probably skip this)
    Lecture 2 - Scientific Method
    Lecture 3 - Problems

Quote Originally Posted by Karl Popper
    My thesis is that science starts with problems and not with observations, and that the difference between science and unscientific myth consists primarily in the fact that some people begin to ask awkward questions about the myths. Someone, in other words, begins to criticise the myth, and out of this criticism there arise new stories, and the result of that is further criticism, and further stories, and so on. And so we get a certain history of views about the world, and the latest of these views is the so-called accepted scientific opinion.
    Now, you will say, perhaps, that this is a very low view of science to take. But I happen to think that it is a very high view to take. Science, in this sense, is the result of a lot of thought and a lot of criticism. Observation does play a very important role. But it does not play the role that most people think. Our theories do not begin with observations. But we use our observations wherever we can to check them. It is, in fact, part of our criticism to check our theories against our observations. And I can check a theory against observations only if I first have a theory.
    But now, some of you must be thinking, ‘Isn’t this a bit too strong? For how can you possibly have a problem if you have never observed anything?’ My answer is that a new born child may well have a problem if he is not fed, or if he is cold! And not because he has made some observations and is now trying to generalise from them, but because he has some inborn expectations that have not yet been satisfied.
    Inductivists say that it is inconceivable that we should start without observations. But I would almost like to put it the other way round and say ‘It is inconceivable that we can start with observations’. My own view is that the aim of science is to explain—very simple, to explain. To explain what? To explain whatever has become a problem for us to understand.
    Whenever we ask ourselves ‘Why is it so?’ or ‘Why does it happen in just this way?’, the it in these questions—whatever it may be—has for some reason become a problem for us. The aim of science is then to solve this problem by giving an explanation. And we attempt to solve these problems, in the main, by conjecture and refutation—by guess-work. Or, if you like, by trial and error.
    ...all that we can say is that scientists start with problems and propose theories as solutions to them, that they criticise these solutions and try to eliminate their errors, and that what we call ‘science’ are those solutions that have been criticized in a reasonably severe way and have not yet been found too badly wanting. And that is all.
    In science we start from problems and we offer solutions to these problems. How do we get these solutions? We just have some idea! We cannot really explain how a man gets a new idea, though one can say a few things about it! And then, after a solution to the problem has been offered, we begin the hard work of testing it. The solution—we can call it a theory or a hypothesis, it doesn’t matter—the hypothesis is tested by criticizing it. We criticise the hypothesis and try to find out how to refute it. That is roughly the procedure in science.
    ...the probability of a generalisation is supposed to be the quotient obtained from dividing the number of positive instances by the total number of instances. So it all depends more or less on the size of the world. And if the world is very large, as our world is compared with the instances that we actually do observe, then this quotient, as a measure of the probability of the generalisation, will be approximately 0.

So my thesis is that probability doesn’t get you anywhere, that if you try to apply it you get probabilities indistinguishable from 0 for well-established natural laws, instead of getting probabilities approaching 1.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What problems are being solved when a biologist observes a creature all summer in its natural habitat? How would a person even know there was a problem needing to be solved and science to be done unless they actually went out looking to observe something... Problem solving makes me immediately think of Popper as a Te type.

But he’s LII so its no problem. Abstractions divorces from reality.

Mentioned
    264 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Finaplex View Post
    What problems are being solved when a biologist observes a creature all summer in its natural habitat?
    The point is that you have some sort of a problem in mind before you observe anything, because what exactly are you supposed to be looking for?

Quote Originally Posted by Finaplex View Post
    How would a person even know there was a problem needing to be solved and science to be done unless they actually went out looking to observe something...
    You have a problem of wanting to know how the world works, what the outside world is like, so you go outside and try to test it out.

And you might say, well why would you want to know how the world works? The answer is that they're inborn expectations. A biological organism like a living cell might want to blindly bounce around and figure out what works and what doesn't. If it works then it keeps that information as a solution, and if it doesn't then it gets refuted, and maybe the cell dies with it. The DNA works in the same way, and so do scientific theories.

Honorary Ballsack
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Popper is outside of spacetype

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Singu View Post
    The point is that you have some sort of a problem in mind before you observe anything, because what exactly are you supposed to be looking for?
    Maybe you are just looking out of the sheer act of looking itself. I doubting a city dweller like you immersed in humanity is capable of this feat. Try magic mushrooms seriously if you wan to know what it is I’m saying.

You have a problem of wanting to know how the world works, what the outside world is like, so you go outside and try to test it out.

And you might say, well why would you want to know how the world works? The answer is that they're inborn expectations. A biological organism like a living cell might want to blindly bounce around and figure out what works and what doesn't. If it works then it keeps that information as a solution, and if it doesn't then it gets refuted, and maybe the cell dies with it. The DNA works in the same way, and so do scientific theories.
    So it’s all determined essentially. This is why I don’t try and put stuff into my consciousness if I can see the inherent danger of just pure exposure could bring.

As as far as wanting to know how the world works, it actually works better to understand without expectations. But I can do both so do t you worry about me . On and off.

TIM
    SLE-Ti 8w7 so/sp
    Mentioned
    268 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)