Thread: Let's talk about Homophobia + Aristocracy and Democracy

Hybrid View

TIM
    ENTJ-1Te 8w7 sx/so
    Mentioned
    1604 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I think I once saw a Socionics definition of “Aristocracy” as being more willing to assign traits previously associated with a group to an individual, if they believe that an individual belongs in that group.

This seems to me to be prejudicial thinking, in the sense that it “pre-judges” a person by association, rather than taking that person as an individual.

In one sense, it is lazy thinking, and in another it is “quick and frequently accurate” thinking. If you see a tiger, it is probably a good thing to have some prejudices regarding its most likely behavior.

(Even though I am in a democratic Quadra, I initially use previous associations to pre-judge people. I do keep an open mind to new information, though, and so am always willing to modify my prejudices if facts or circumstances dictate.)

The problem that many minorities face is being associated with negative traits, since assigning negative traits to a group is an effective way to exclude that group from sharing in the resources of the majority group.

Trump does this all the time. He isn’t the President of the U.S., he is a divider of society, for the purpose of increasing the wealth of the established. What most people who support him don’t understand is that he doesn’t consider them to be in his own group. His actions make that abundantly clear, to those who aren’t blinded by their fear of losing status (and therefore access to resources) themselves.

All societies seem to create minority groups within themselves. Every country has them. The minorities fight back against this external labeling of themselves by attempting to rename themselves periodically. Negroes became blacks, who became African-Americans. This relabeling can help give the minority access to new considerations and new associations, but the real solution is to change the way that resources are allocated.

After all, ideally, you would not choose whether or not to feed and clothe your children based on their handedness ot hair color.
    Last edited by Adam Strange; 04-18-2019 at 12:28 PM.

TIM
    LIE
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Strange View Post
    I think I once saw a Socionics definition of “Aristocracy” as being more willing to assign traits previously associated with a group to an individual, if they believe that an individual belongs in that group.

This seems to me to be prejudicial thinking, in the sense that it “pre-judges” a person by association, rather than taking that person as an individual.

In one sense, it is lazy thinking, and in another it is “quick and frequently accurate” thinking. If you see a tiger, it is probably a good thing to have some prejudices regarding its most likely behavior.

(Even though I am in a democratic Quadra, I initially use previous associations to pre-judge people. I do keep an open mind to new information, though, and so am always willing to modify my prejudices if facts or circumstances dictate.)

The problem that many minorities face is being associated with negative traits, since assigning negative traits to a group is an effective way to exclude that group from sharing in the resources of the majority group.

Trump does this all the time. He isn’t the President of the U.S., he is a divider of society, for the purpose of increasing the wealth of the established. What most people who support him don’t understand is that he doesn’t consider them to be in his own group. His actions make that abundantly clear, to those who aren’t blinded by their fear of losing status (and therefore access to resources) themselves.

All societies seem to create minority groups within themselves. Every country has them. The minorities fight back against this external labeling of themselves by attempting to rename themselves periodically. Negroes became blacks, who became African-Americans. This relabeling can help give the minority access to new considerations and new associations, but the real solution is to change the way that resources are allocated.

After all, ideally, you would not choose whether or not to feed and clothe your children based on their handedness ot hair color.

the whole video can be related to the topic but just the part he points out at 7:15 (in case you don't want to listen to all of it)
    Last edited by Zero; 04-18-2019 at 01:04 PM.

Mentioned
    244 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Strange View Post

America has been divided ever since its creation