Thread: Te - What is it, how does it work? Need Help understanding static vs. dynamic.

Hybrid View

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rebelondeck View Post
    @Smilex Ejs and Ips are closed-loop thinkers; their filters narrow down data input (focus) so that rationalization processes can widen - hence, your first sentence is somewhat correct. One process has to be limited in order to allow another to run concurrently. Focus, which is essentially selective filtering, is important because the brain has limited processing capacity. However, I would propose that Ips are better at focus though they may often be less productive.....

a.k.a. I/O
    It would be more correct to say that EJs and IPs are preferentially closed-loop thinkers.
    THe filter thing... for IPs and EJs every function works as the mirror opposite of how it works for the other so lumping these temperaments together is usually a mistake. Great care should be taken when discussing them as a combination.
    As for focus, it all depends on how you define focus. Focus is a necessity for productiveness and if we take that into consideration it seems like Ejs are more focused than Ips. But it's all how you define it.

Here's a description by a Fi type about how they experienced their Ej friends' extrovert function:

Terry looked at me. He said: “Do not underestimate this anger. This anger was the engine that powered Good Omens.” I thought of the driven way that Terry wrote, and of the way that he drove the rest of us with him, and I knew that he was right.
    There is a fury to Terry Pratchett’s writing: it’s the fury that was the engine that powered Discworld. It’s also the anger at the headmaster who would decide that six-year-old Terry Pratchett would never be smart enough for the 11-plus; anger at pompous critics, and at those who think serious is the opposite of funny; anger at his early American publishers who could not bring his books out successfully.
    The anger is always there, an engine that drives. By the time Terry learned he had a rare, early onset form of Alzheimer’s, the targets of his fury changed: he was angry with his brain and his genetics and, more than these, furious at a country that would not permit him (or others in a similarly intolerable situation) to choose the manner and the time of their passing.
    And that anger, it seems to me, is about Terry’s underlying sense of what is fair and what is not. It is that sense of fairness that underlies Terry’s work and his writing, and it’s what drove him from school to journalism to the press office of the SouthWestern Electricity Board to the position of being one of the best-loved and bestselling writers in the world.
    It’s the same sense of fairness that means that, sometimes in the cracks, while writing about other things, he takes time to punctiliously acknowledge his influences – Alan Coren, for example, who pioneered so many of the techniques of short humour that Terry and I have filched over the years; or the glorious, overstuffed, heady thing that is Brewer’s Dictionary of Phrase and Fable and its compiler, the Rev E Cobham Brewer, that most serendipitious of authors. Terry once wrote an introduction to Brewer’s and it made me smile – we would call each other up in delight whenever we discovered a book by Brewer we had not seen before (“’Ere!’ Have you already got a copy of Brewer’s A Dictionary of Miracles: Imitative, Realistic and Dogmatic?”)
    Terry’s authorial voice is always Terry’s: genial, informed, sensible, drily amused. I suppose that, if you look quickly and are not paying attention, you might, perhaps, mistake it for jolly. But beneath any jollity there is a foundation of fury. Terry Pratchett is not one to go gentle into any night, good or otherwise.
    He will rage, as he leaves, against so many things: stupidity, injustice, human foolishness and shortsightedness, not just the dying of the light. And, hand in hand with the anger, like an angel and a demon walking into the sunset, there is love: for human beings, in all our fallibility; for treasured objects; for stories; and ultimately and in all things, love for human dignity.
    Or to put it another way, anger is the engine that drives him, but it is the greatness of spirit that deploys that anger on the side of the angels, or better yet for all of us, the orangutans.
    Terry Pratchett is not a jolly old elf at all. Not even close. He’s so much more than that. As Terry walks into the darkness much too soon, I find myself raging too: at the injustice that deprives us of – what? Another 20 or 30 books? Another shelf-full of ideas and glorious phrases and old friends and new, of stories in which people do what they really do best, which is use their heads to get themselves out of the trouble they got into by not thinking? Another book or two of journalism and agitprop? But truly, the loss of these things does not anger me as it should. It saddens me, but I, who have seen some of them being built close-up, understand that any Terry Pratchett book is a small miracle, and we already have more than might be reasonable, and it does not behoove any of us to be greedy.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here's another life story about the discovery of Te: (Again, the EJ version)

As a high-school student in Ottawa, Canada, O'Leary took a job at Magoo's Ice Cream Parlour at a mall where girls from his class would hang out. It wasn't a cool job by any means, but he hoped it could get him a chance to work his magic.
    The first day went by easily enough, but the next day didn't end so smoothly.
    "It was the end of the day of my second day of work, and the woman who owned the ice cream parlor said to me, 'Listen, before you go, scrape all the gum up between the tiles,'" O'Leary tells Business Insider.
    He saw two problems with that:

1. It was a Mexican tile floor, the kind that would require some tough maneuvering on his hands and knees.
    2. He'd have to do that in front of the cute girl who worked at the shoe store across from him, risking humiliation among her and her friends.
    "I said, 'No, I'm not going to do that. You hired me to be an ice cream scooper,'" O'Leary recalls. "She said, 'I hired you for whatever I want. You work for me. Scrape the gum or you're fired.' And I said, 'I'm not doing it,' and so she fired me."
    He says he didn't really understand the full weight of what it meant to be fired. He was shocked and embarrassed.

"I realized then that when you work for somebody else, you're basically their slave," he says. "From that day on I swore I'd never work for anyone else. That was the beginning of my journey."
    O'Leary writes on LinkedIn that he got home with "tears of hot rage stinging my cheeks." He told his stepfather that he'd never work for anyone again, to which his stepdad replied, "Even if you're self-employed, you'll be serving someone," explaining that business owners have obligations to their customers and shareholders.
    O'Leary writes that his stepfather's lesson became clear years later, but he was convinced that he would one day become an entrepreneur

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And here's a few IP quotes on Te...

“Don’t wait for the perfect time, you will wait forever. Always take advantage of the time that you’re given and make it perfect.” Daymond John
    “We all want the freedom to make our own decisions.” Daymond John
    “The easiest thing to sell is the truth.” Daymond John
    You are born a chooser.” Daymond John
    “I believe the last thing I read at night will likely manifest when I’m sleeping. You become what you think about the most.” Daymond John
    “I do today what people won’t so I achieve tomorrow what other people can’t.” Daymond John
    “Everyone has an idea, but it’s taking those first steps toward turning that idea into a reality that are always the toughest.” Daymond John
    “When looking at trends I always ask myself basic and timeless questions about business, and the one I seem to always come back to is, how is this different than anything else in the marketplace?” Daymond John

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Smilex View Post
    .........for IPs and EJs every function works as the mirror opposite of how it works for the other so lumping these temperaments together is usually a mistake.......Focus is a necessity for productiveness and if we take that into consideration it seems like Ejs are more focused than Ips..........
    Without quoting someone, why do you think 'functions' are (have to be?) opposite rather than different configurations and process priorities? You seem to talk of processes as if they're defined by their results even when input is undefined and infinitely variable.
    Ips do have similar configurations to Ejs but different priorities; their focus is skill honing, surveillance and defense. Your reason for focus seems rather limited unlike the dictionary.....

a.k.a. I/O

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rebelondeck View Post
    Without quoting someone, why do you think 'functions' are (have to be?) opposite rather than different configurations and process priorities? You seem to talk of processes as if they're defined by their results even when input is undefined and infinitely variable.
    Ips do have similar configurations to Ejs but different priorities; their focus is skill honing, surveillance and defense. Your reason for focus seems rather limited unlike the dictionary.....

a.k.a. I/O
    Ips and Ejs do not have similar configurations any more than Ejs and Ijs do. You need to start again.