Update:

I can now ace any basic physics class (college physics, etc.), and I'm on my way to Modern Physics. With introductory physics, I learned that it is important to have no preconceptions when you are reading a physics text - i.e. read it like you are reading a biology or history textbook and try to simply be informed about how different physical concepts work without having making any assumptions. *However* I am now finding Modern Physics difficult. I find it polar opposite to the way university mathematics courses are taught. That is: in college calculus, group theory, linear algebra, etc., 1) the information is always well-organized, 2) no variables are left dangling, and 3) the demonstrations are always 'air-tight.' Modern physics is almost the opposite: 1) the equations are loosely organized, 2) many variables are undefined, and 3) the demonstrations just sort of illustrate the concept. This leaves me in a 'wild-goose chase' when I get to the questions at the back of the chapter in trying to equate almost any variable or manipulate the equations... Compare this to a book I just picked up on Vector Calculus, in which I can just open it up at any chapter, and just blitz through the material... (And I have never learned Vector Calculus before...) Anyway, my theory is that in physics, by forcing myself to work backwards, I am learning more than by just playing to my strengths and mastering something I find easy. In any event, we'll see how it turns out...