Hybrid View

TIM
    ILI-Ni sp/sx
    Mentioned
    305 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Subteigh View Post
    "One is not born a genius, one becomes a genius; and the feminine situation has up to the present rendered this becoming practically impossible."

"One is not born, but rather becomes, a woman."
    Correct me if I'm wrong but I think that's a quote from Simone de Beauvoir. I need to read her sometime. If one is to critique or intellectually attack a thing, ya gotta strike at the roots. Feminism owes much to that woman, and she was a lover of Sartre as well if memory serves. As a man who subscribes to much of existentialist philosophy's tenets (Kirkegaard is my man, my brother from another mother, etc.) this is just further reason why I should get off my ass and read her stuff. If I'm right you know a lot about that. Where would I start?

TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by End View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong but I think that's a quote from Simone de Beauvoir. I need to read her sometime. If one is to critique or intellectually attack a thing, ya gotta strike at the roots. Feminism owes much to that woman, and she was a lover of Sartre as well if memory serves. As a man who subscribes to much of existentialist philosophy's tenets (Kirkegaard is my man, my brother from another mother, etc.) this is just further reason why I should get off my ass and read her stuff. If I'm right you know a lot about that. Where would I start?
    I think The Second Sex and The Ethics of Ambiguity are both brilliant. The Second Sex is naturally more relevant to this thread, and I probably prefer that the most, although The Ethics of Ambiguity covers her philosophical perspective more generally.