Disbelief Jung
    TIM
    Heavenly & Spiritual
    Mentioned
    415 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Karatos View Post
    I think it's fun to start threads like this and this to watch people flip out when the mission statement of the forum and the primary content of the forum is being challenged. I've always done shit like this wherever I'm at and always will. People need to be shaken up - not just for my own pleasure, but to move things forward.
    answer to my question, singu2.

TIM
    ILI - C
    Mentioned
    114 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Atari View Post
    answer to my question, singu2.

In my view, pain is a necessary part of life and something to be overcome. If you're not overcoming pain, then you're not growing. Hence, why I'm here, despite disagreeing with central premises users tend to work with. I don't tend to get along well who disagree with me about the value of pain because they tend to stay within their comfort zones.

TIM
    EII typed by Gulenko
    Mentioned
    339 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In my view, pain is a necessary part of life and something to be overcome. If you're not overcoming pain, then you're not growing. Hence, why I'm here, despite disagreeing with central premises users tend to work with.
    > Socionics causes pain
    > Pain is a necessary part of life
    > Socionics is ... life

Disbelief Jung
    TIM
    Heavenly & Spiritual
    Mentioned
    415 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

In my view, pain is a necessary part of life and something to be overcome. If you're not overcoming pain, then you're not growing. Hence, why I'm here, despite disagreeing with central premises users tend to work with. I don't tend to get along well who disagree with me about the value of pain because they tend to stay within their comfort zones.
    But you are basing your disagreement with socionics in pain and discomfort. Your two stances are mutually excluding and contradicting each other. I agree with the fun part tho.
    Last edited by Faith; 12-29-2018 at 11:24 PM.

TIM
    ILI - C
    Mentioned
    114 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

But you are basing your disagreement with socionics in pain and discomfort. Your two stances are mutually excluding and contradicting each other. I agree with the fun part tho.
    I don't base my disagreement with anything simply on pain and discomfort because just because something's painful or uncomfortable doesn't mean it's untrue. For example, a few days ago I noticed my tire was flat, and even though that sucked ass, the fact that it sucked ass wasn't a basis for me to disregard the fact that my tire was flat.

When cognitive dissonance occurs, it's a specific kind of discomfort caused by the fact that thoughts don't logically add up. When thoughts don't logically add up, they don't reflect reality. So cognitive dissonance in particular serves as a bullshit detector. I don't think I'm unique or that my personality is particularly unique for experiencing cognitive dissonance. For example, when you notice that your family member or SO says something that counters what they said yesterday on a hard-and-fast basis, cognitive dissonance makes you acutely aware of a contradiction. And whether you value truth or whether you value your own comfort, the impulse will be to resolve the contradiction. I assume that's what you're doing right now, so a distinction between general pain and cognitive dissonance in particular should rectify your confusion. More saliently, when new information counters Socionics theory, it causes cognitive dissonance, so the contradiction needs to be resolved either by refining the theory or throwing it out.

Why am I focusing on pain in the OP? Because pain is a persuasive tool to employ with everyone I've met, one way or another...
    Last edited by Desert Financial; 12-30-2018 at 02:55 PM.

TIM
    EII typed by Gulenko
    Mentioned
    339 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't base my disagreement with anything simply on pain and discomfort because just because something's painful or uncomfortable doesn't mean it's untrue. For example, a few days ago I noticed my tire was flat, and even though that sucked ass, the fact that it sucked ass wasn't a basis for me to disregard the fact that my tire was flat.

When cognitive dissonance occurs, it's a specific kind of discomfort caused by the fact that thoughts don't logically add up. When thoughts don't logically add up, they don't reflect reality. So cognitive dissonance in particular serves as a bullshit detector. I don't think I'm unique or that my personality is particularly unique for experiencing cognitive dissonance. For example, when you notice that your family member or SO says something that counters what they said yesterday on a hard-and-fast basis, cognitive dissonance makes you acutely aware of a contradiction. And whether you value truth or whether you value your own comfort, the impulse will be to resolve the contradiction. I assume that's what you're doing right now, so a distinction between general pain and cognitive dissonance in particular should rectify your confusion. More saliently, when new information counters Socionics theory, it causes cognitive dissonance, so the contradiction needs to be resolved either by refining the theory or throwing it out.

Why am I focusing on pain in the OP? Because pain is a persuasive tool to employ with everyone I've met, one way or another...
    You’re still complaining that Socionics causes pain even though in the post of yours she quoted you said that you value pain. That’s what she means by mutually exclusive and contradictory. You can’t use something to complain about / have a stance against, and value it, at the same time.

TIM
    ILI - C
    Mentioned
    114 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sbbds View Post
    You’re still complaining that Socionics causes pain even though in the post of yours she quoted you said that you value pain. That’s what she means by mutually exclusive and contradictory. You can’t use something to complain about / have a stance against, and value it, at the same time.
    I understand exactly what she means. Don't put words in my mouth. I'm complaining that Socionics doesn't reflect reality. Period.

TIM
    EII typed by Gulenko
    Mentioned
    339 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I understand exactly what she means. Don't put words in my mouth. I'm complaining that Socionics doesn't reflect reality. Period.
    I’m not putting words in your mouth, it’s the thread title LOL

TIM
    ILI - C
    Mentioned
    114 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You’re relying on other people to be forthright and speak clearly for you. It’s apparent that you’re used to this kind of treatment, but don’t get too comfortable. Pain is a necessary part of life!
    I’m sorry but you’re obviously casting pain in a negative light, and it generally is seen as negative anyway. That you don’t seem to want to acknlowdge this doesn’t change the reality. If you don’t want to be misconstrued, don’t be easily misconstruable.
    All of these. Incoming post...

Disbelief Jung
    TIM
    Heavenly & Spiritual
    Mentioned
    415 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

When we give someone a Socionics type, we type them according to a system of fixed cognitive traits.

When we observe that the typed person diverges from the type we gave them in thought or action, we must develop an explanation for the divergence.

Socionics is a system of fixed cognitive traits. Thus, our explanation for divergence must conflict with the Socionics typing.

Therefore, when we hold on to the Socionics typing and our explanation for divergence, we possess conflicting beliefs.

Conflicting beliefs cause cognitive dissonance, or mental discomfort caused by maintaining contradictory thoughts.

Thus, attachment to Socionics causes discomfort because Socionics is a system of fixed cognitive traits that fails to explain divergence in thought or action.
    You equated cognitive dissonance to mental discomfort caused by contradictory thoughts. Then you repeated socionics causes discomfort. Now you try to say its not so much about discomfort but just cognitive dissonance because I pointed out how it was against beta main values.

I think you created this thread with your real concerns and now you are trying to add some make up. :3

TIM
    ILI - C
    Mentioned
    114 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You equated cognitive dissonance to mental discomfort caused by contradictory thoughts. Then you repeated socionics causes discomfort. Now you try to say its not so much about discomfort but just cognitive dissonance because I pointed out how it was against beta main values.

I think you created this thread with your real concerns and now you are trying to add some make up. :3
    Well then, I guess it's time to completely let go of Socionics.

Disbelief Jung
    TIM
    Heavenly & Spiritual
    Mentioned
    415 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Well then, I guess it's time to completely let go of Socionics.
    Fair enough if its causing you cognitive dissonance and pain.