Thread: Thoughts on Jordan Peterson

Hybrid View

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by silke View Post
    I mean in what way do you see him as presenting harm? -> "Maybe he's pretty harmless and he's not"

From what I have seen of his groups and followers, there hasn't been a single post by a trans person saying that they are going to take their life due to JP's lectures. If there was indeed a case like this, it would have been shown all over the media by his opposition in order to shut him down. I understand you want to remain skeptical, but is there any specific evidence that goes into support of the claim that he has been harmful to trans people?

“The first problem is that the evidence that there are biological differences between men and women is overwhelming,” Peterson said.
    “The vast majority of people who have a biological sex also claim that they are psychologically … the same as that biological sex,” the Peterson continued. “So the idea that they are independent is completely insane.”

This is what he got originally famous from...saying that transgenders are insane...why he feels the need to go after a minority of the population that already has a high suicide rate from societal rejection...

All this after his angst against bill C-16...a bill that protected transgenders from discrimination and bigotry...not something that forced weird pronouns and threatened people with jail...
    https://torontoist.com/2016/12/are-j...-c-16-correct/

If passed, the bill would also add gender identity and gender expression to the Criminal Code in two ways:

1. Section 718.2 is about what principles should be taken into consideration when a court imposes a sentence.

Section 718.2(a) is about how a sentence should be increased or reduced to account for any relevant aggravating or mitigating circumstances.
    Section 718.2(a)(i) speaks about offences where evidence shows that action was motivated by bias, prejudice, or hate based on social groups. This list already includes race, national or ethnic origin, language, colour, religion, sex, age, mental or physical disability, and sexual orientation.

2. Section 318 is about hate propaganda.
    Subsection 318(4) adds gender identity and gender expression to the definition of an identifiable group for the purposes of “advocating genocide.” This legislation would protect transgender and gender non-binary peoples from being a targeted group in an act of genocide.
    The House of Commons voted in favour of the bill in October. Next, it will go before the Justice Committee.
    In Ontario, the Human Rights Code prohibits discrimination due to gender identity. In 2012, it became the first province to amend its human rights legislation to provide this protection.

What has Peterson said about Bill C-16?
    “I think that some of the things that I say in my lectures now might be illegal,” Peterson says in this video (at 17:35). “I think that they might even be sufficient for me to be brought before the Ontario Human Rights Commission under their amended hate speech laws.”
    He says he’s concerned that something he says when he’s teaching can be “transformed suddenly into hate speech.”

In response to being penalized for discrimination against transgenders
    “If they fine me, I won’t pay it. If they put me in jail, I’ll go on a hunger strike. I’m not doing this. And that’s that. I’m not using the words that other people require me to use. Especially if they’re made up by radical left-wing ideologues.”

Can nobody understand how petty and harmful a message like that is? This was intended to help a minority from discrimination...

Like...it's fine that you like him and he's intelligent and has a lot of good things to say...but this is what he got FAMOUS for...

And no, it IS NOT harmless...and he doesn't deserve that designation.

TIM
    LSI
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dalek Caan View Post

“The first problem is that the evidence that there are biological differences between men and women is overwhelming,” Peterson said.
    “The vast majority of people who have a biological sex also claim that they are psychologically … the same as that biological sex,” the Peterson continued. “So the idea that they are independent is completely insane.”

This is what he got originally famous from...saying that transgenders are insane...why he feels the need to go after a minority of the population that already has a high suicide rate from societal rejection...
    Where do you get that Peterson says that "transgenders are insane?" Because that's not in the quote or video you referred to.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Samson View Post
    Where do you get that Peterson says that "transgenders are insane?" Because that's not in the quote or video you referred to.
    That might be the wrong video. But I was thinking back to this one. Starts at about 1:10

"the idea that gender identity is independent by biological sex is insane, it's wrong, the scientific data, they are clear, they are not only clear, they are clear beyond dispute" - JP

And he's actually very wrong. Trans women that are attracted to men have been shown to have a high degree of relatedness to female Sexual dimorphism. There have been numerous studies that check brain patterns before and after hormones and found they were either in between male and female or had patterns closer to female before being given hormones.

Now trans women that are attracted to women I think is a hotly contentious area because some people think they just have a fetish for being women. And I don't know that much about it to say one way or another, but it is a scientific fact that sexual dimorphism isn't always related to your chromosomes. Especially when you get people with XXY chromosomes or people that are XY with Androgen insensitivity syndrome where their body does not react at all to testosterone and they grow up feeling like women and believing they are in every sense of the word. I've even come across research that suggested certain genes to override certain sexual dimorphic hormonal cues in the body as well. And that most likely causes problems with gender identity.