Quote Originally Posted by ajsindri View Post
@golden, are you talking about how any psychometric test, like let's say a 1-5 scale likert test (strongly agree, agree, neither, disagree, strongly disagree) people have a tendency to rate themselves in the middle regardless of the questions? I remember My statistics teacher mentioned that and said you should never give people an odd numbered option for that reason. That all has to do with experiment design. I don't know what best item scheme would work for socionics - that's something we'd have to figure out. That's one reason I think we need to evaluate socionics statistically, so we can measure small incremental improvements.
No. I’m not talking about problems in making scales or in research subjects using the scales. I’m talking about the proposal that for any given personality trait, the strength of that trait will show normal distribution. My understanding — based on reading I did several months ago — was that it’s been consistently found that traits distribute this way. Therefore, if you use a dichotomy, you may slice across the center of the curve where the greatest number of people are clustered.