Quote Originally Posted by Avebury View Post
Yes, you're interpreting it wrong.

Are you aware of the way many libertarians claim "government is a necessary evil"? They don't like government, don't even believe in it as a result, but still believe it should exist because it's the lesser of two evils between government and anarchy.

All I'm saying is that if we're going to have government we might as well strive for one we believe in. This poses alot of problems of course, like not everyone agreeing to a "social contract", the government seeming perfect on paper but having many flaws in practice (like you said).

Besides, as I wrote in my OP, this isn't meant to be some dogmatic declaration in stone. I was just re-examining my own former stance as government being a "necessary evil" since I used to beleive that. Now, I don't know what I would label myself politically and it doesn't even matter to me much. Others can label me, lol. They are free to.
Ah okay, no I was not aware of who was saying such a thing, but I doubt the libertarians like Adam Smith could have aimed at some kind of anarchism, the idea behind that liberalism, in fact, was an economic freedom, laissez faire, the state doesn't have to control one's individual trades. That's why I'm critical of that kind of liberalism, not because of the idea per se, but because they used money as their biggest fuel, and we can see the effects of this mindset everywhere today.