Thread: Demonstrative and Mobilizing functions are Accepting NOT Producing.

Hybrid View

TIM
    Dyslexic 17
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Singu View Post
    It's not an axiom... it's about the only way to create any new knowledge. I would like to know how you think you could come up with a theory on your own, by observations alone.

So please, try to come up with any kind of a theory by observing the things around you.

You're still making an assumption about how Newton came about creating that theory, without actually knowing how he did it.
    You might want to Google what axioms are as well as tautology.

The assumption about Newton comes from the premise that modern science, stemming from the enlightenment period, is based on empiricism and rationalisation. It's the main reason, Europe triggered this rapid advancement in science present today.

No longer is it appropriate for claims to be made and simply believed. Naturalism instead, or the empirical basis, is the foundation for claiming and falsifying everything. That's the contactenated view - yes knowledge can be derived from speculation and guesswork, nevertheless as much or this as possible must be routed in empiricism. Epistemology is a complex and fascinating subject.

If you want an example of a scientific theory derived from observations, well I can create one. The earth looks and appears to be flat ad infinitum - hence from these observations it makes sense to scientifically conclude the earth is flat. Refutations to this scientific theory can arise with the introduction of more complex observations thus subsequently complex rationale.

(I'm not a flat earther, nevertheless I don't care about exploring the proof either way mainstream science concludes in peer reviewed journals)
    Last edited by Soupman; 05-23-2018 at 11:49 PM.

Mentioned
    264 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Soupman View Post
    You might want to Google what axioms are as well as tautology.

The assumption about Newton comes from the premise that modern science, stemming from the enlightenment period, is based on empiricism and rationalisation. It's the main reason, Europe triggered this rapid advancement in science present today.

No longer is it appropriate for claims to be made and simply believed. Naturalism instead, or the empirical basis, is the foundation for claiming and falsifying everything. That's the contactenated view - yes knowledge can be derived from speculation and guesswork, nevertheless as much or this as possible must be routed in empiricism. Epistemology is a complex and fascinating subject.

If you want an example of a scientific theory derived from observations, well I can create one. The earth looks and appears to be flat ad infinitum - hence from these observations it makes sense to scientifically conclude the earth is flat. Refutations to this scientific theory can arise with the introduction of more complex observations thus subsequently complex rationale.

(I'm not a flat earther, nevertheless I don't care about exploring the proof either way mainstream science concludes in peer reviewed journals)
    Falsification is not empiricism. You are still assuming many things about how Newton came up with his theory. You are jumping to conclusions because you have assumptions that science is about "empiricism". Yes, empiricism and inductivism were once useful in rejecting the authority of religion, etc, but Bacon was also wrong and Hume correctly pointed out that inductivism was an impossibility.

The point is that you do not... "derive" anything from observations. If you derive something from observations, then what?

I'm not saying that this is an easy thing to understand. It took me a lot of thinking to finally understand what this all means, and why inductivism is simply logically impossible. Science is after all, supremely counter-intuitive, and defies common-sense view.

Quote Originally Posted by Soupman View Post
    I'd assume you meant "rationalism" and not "rationalisation". Rationalism is the opposite of empiricism. You appear to be confused and lacking in understanding of this topic.

Bertrand is out of question, of course. lol.