Thread: Mental Imagery ?function?

Hybrid View

Mentioned
    152 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by schwiftyrickty View Post
    My thoughts are almost 100% verbal. I have to make a sincere effort to imagine images and for the images to actually move in a realistic way or be 3D might be impossible without drugs. If I tried to imagine movement or a story or something in a visual way, I'd be more likely to just see the words of what's happening. I've actually had dreams where I'm reading and instead of imagining what it is I'm reading, I just see the words on the page lol. I'm not sure if any of this makes sense.

I like to write fiction and I used to get high before brainstorming because it helped me imagine in actual pictures, sometimes even moving pictures. I don't really think it works anymore. I can't get high enough.

My imagination is broken. Maybe it's time for me to take acid for the first time in ~6 years.
    That's fascinating lol. I pretty much never imagine things in text form and just assumed everybody imagined things in movie form like I do.

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Muddy View Post
    That's fascinating lol. I pretty much never imagine things in text form and just assumed everybody imagined things in movie form like I do.
    I wouldn't unconsciously imagine things in text necessarily (though I can), but my thoughts are just an inner monologue. Not a very focused one, but just words. One of the many downsides of this is that I can only think as fast as I can speak/read (though I can and tend to do those very fast and perhaps I think faster than those who think in pictures, I have no way of knowing), unless I am intentionally trying to think without verbalizing, sort of like speed reading. If I was to picture something, my eyes would have to be closed and it would be a struggle.

Perhaps my inability to think in pictures has something to do with why I feel the need to write everything down. Words tend to leave less of an impact and are more easily forgotten, especially when there's thousands of them, few taking precedence over the others. I find it difficult to decide which thoughts are important.
    7w6 9w1 2w3 sx/? RLUAI(rl|U|ai)