TIM
    IEI-Ni H946
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Coeruleum Blue View Post
    Feynman became a genius physicist with an IQ of merely 120
    120 is still quite high though, there is probably a certain amount that together with luck/support/success indicates you would do well in your chosen field. (If this field allowed you to utilise your intellectual strengths).

I would find it hard to tell my parent’s IQs. Firstly I haven’t spent enough time with my dad. They both left school around aged 15/16 maybe younger. I suspect my dad has a decent IQ (sorry for the cringe word, I don’t want to do numbers) but you wouldn’t know unless you had many in-depth convos with him, which I haven’t. (Still my dad and I have a hunch). The lack of education and worldliness probably makes them seem like they have lower iqs. But my dad seems like he really likes his job- think he earns quite well and the work involves electronics, but he probably considers himself a tradesman of sorts. I think his iq is higher than my mum’s but he has a significant socionics subtype and my mum is more balanced and independent.
    Last edited by Bethanyclaire; 06-10-2023 at 09:23 AM.

TIM
    H 694 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    114 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've already said it several time but I'm not a fan of IQ tests. The zeitgeist has made a lot of people kinda dumb and certain people like JP and others have contributed to make people realize that common sense is not that common anymore even if I think that his obsession with IQ can have a negative effect on some his followers who drink in his words.

That said, just for fun and relaxation here is a a video which can help relativize things (even if the initial study is bs imho)

TIM
    IEI-Ni H946
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It’s really hard to tell, like I went on date with an SLE who was going on about having a high iq. He was smart- that was the best thing about the date, but I don’t know if he really did have a particularly high iq. I think he’d just been a bit isolated and became nerdy. He was successful but was clearly finding it hard to meet someone/settle, that intelligence wasn’t getting him what he really wanted

one of my good friends is intelligent and more successful than me- I often wondered if she would get bored of me, but we connect on an emotional level and actually we bring out the best in each other. I still think my iq is a bit higher than hers. When the relationship is stable, I think you can tell who is smarter. Maybe she thinks she’s smarter lol.

Banned
    Mentioned
    1404 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bethanyclaire View Post
    I don’t know if he really did have a particularly high iq.
    High IQ is since 120. ~5% of such ones, only. Other people have it normal and except some occupations should not differ significantly in innitial abbilities (but may by education, knowledge and trained skills). Or have low IQ <70 in small %.
    It's not about Internet tests which can be doubtful and to assign redundantly high.

> that intelligence wasn’t getting him what he really wanted

To have _good_ pair seems to be hard as happens not often (mb 25% of marriaged, while among just sexual/feelings pairs even lesser). Higher intelligence should predispose to be lesser impulsive, more critical and hence to longer time to choose a pair. So higher intelligence should help to choose _good_ pair. But it's not enough, certainly.
    Also today IQ tests are accented on TN, while practical result (general intelligence) depends on all 4 functions, and hence IQ should be evaluated by the sum of 4 regions.

> I still think my iq is a bit higher than hers. When the relationship is stable, I think you can tell who is smarter. Maybe she thinks she’s smarter lol.

The difference in general IQ is not significant for most people. Those who are interesting to each other may be thought as equal. Only having particular advantages.
    Taking this exists another complication of higher IQ. The higher it is above average 100 - the lesser of people will be evaluated as intellectually interesting and will be liked for a pair. The lesser choice - the harder to find a pair which is liked enough. The level of education, culture norms influence similarly. And it works to both sides - people prefer in pairs who are similar, not above them.
    Last edited by Sol; 06-10-2023 at 12:16 PM.

TIM
    IEI-Ni H946
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sol View Post
    > I still think my iq is a bit higher than hers. When the relationship is stable, I think you can tell who is smarter. Maybe she thinks she’s smarter lol.

The difference in general IQ is not significant for most people. Those who are interesting to each other may be thought as equal. Only having particular advantages.
    Taking this exists another complication of higher IQ. The higher it is above average 100 - the lesser of people will be evaluated as intellectually interesting and will be liked for a pair. The lesser choice - the harder to find a pair which is liked enough. The level of education, culture norms influence similarly. And it works to both sides - people prefer in pairs who are similar, not above them.
    only a teeny bit, she is like my EIE high school friend who had it all (charisma, intelligence, wealth, determination) all I had was maybe a teeny bit more intelligence. The IEE is similar, not the same, but we do compete a bit intellectually. It’s close but my logic is slightly better, when it comes to general philosophising. Maybe I’m wrong

others will use logic in a more profound and quick way, people with iq moving towards 130 I guess

i don’t know about these high figures above 130, seems to me someone with 125 iq with luck on their side could succeed just as well as someone with 130 iq(?) you might have professors with 125 iq at top unis for example. So long as they can relate to the private school kids who apply and get in? Isn’t it said that people with very high iq are at a disadvantage in some ways? They don’t fit in for example.

you could say the same for 120/125 i guess but 125/130 seems like the point where people are gifted and aiming for some sort of recognition for intelligence in itself

i remember meeting a trainee doctor when i was 22, maybe sle. If we met today he probably wouldn’t like me, because i’m a bit ‘rough around the edges’, maybe compared to what he has become. (Not in touch, only met once) just using as example. I would guess he was 1 iq point lower than me lol. Probably more well-rounded. Match made in heaven- then, not now.

I do tend to date guys who seem smart- a smarter SEE then SLE might be very tempting, in theory lol
    Last edited by Bethanyclaire; 06-11-2023 at 10:44 AM.

TIM
    IEI-Ni H946
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What is it even like to have an iq of 150? Do you go to a special school? What do ordinary people seem like to you? I suppose you feel a bit like a teacher in a school

“Sex is kicking death in the ass while singing.” - Charles Bukowski

TIM
    SLI-Si 6w7 613 sp/so
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've only taken a Scientology IQ test, which I'm sure is not comparable to a legit IQ test. I scored 135 so my real IQ is probably below 135.

TIM
    H 694 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    114 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What is it even like to have an iq of 150? Do you go to a special school? What do ordinary people seem like to you? I suppose you feel a bit like a teacher in a school

TIM
    SLI
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

random iq test i took on-line said 125

i dont think its that high.

i'm almost guaranteed its either a scam, or IQ doesnt actually reflect intelligence.

my money's on both.

Fuck this toxic snake pit Fluffy Princess Unicorn's Avatar
    Mentioned
    228 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's probably better if I don't answer this, although I'd like to.

TIM
    IEI-Ni H946
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by godslave View Post

harmless nerds..most of them

TIM
    IEI-Ni H946
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Maverick View Post
    It's probably better if I don't answer this, although I'd like to.
    it's ok, I understand. I am an educator by trade so the topic is interesting, also because I developed mental health difficulties at an age when my brain was still developing. I read that Taylor Swift, who seems quite smart, went to a school for gifted kids, when she was on the road a lot through her teens. She is Taylor Swift though so she had other talents too! but it's interesting how many people relate to her

I think you've said before, and we both know that other things are more important, but intelligence, is a strength, in whatever shape or form, as long as one is trying to be a nice person too. If someone isn't making the most of their strengths- they can become depressed etc.

If you've ever met a person with no visible subtype, now that's something interesting. They might not be 'highly gifted' in intelligence but they will be quick thinking and can have a 'wholesomeness' to them that is quite compelling- almost typeless

Mentioned
    228 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

it's ok, I understand. I am an educator by trade so the topic is interesting, also because I developed mental health difficulties at an age when my brain was still developing. I read that Taylor Swift, who seems quite smart, went to a school for gifted kids, when she was on the road a lot through her teens. She is Taylor Swift though so she had other talents too! but it's interesting how many people relate to her

I think you've said before, and we both know that other things are more important, but intelligence, is a strength, in whatever shape or form, as long as one is trying to be a nice person too. If someone isn't making the most of their strengths- they can become depressed etc.

If you've ever met a person with no visible subtype, now that's something interesting. They might not be 'highly gifted' in intelligence but they will be quick thinking and can have a 'wholesomeness' to them that is quite compelling- almost typeless
    Well...since you're an educator, I suppose I'll say this: I cannot stress enough that the further above average your IQ is, the more special needs you are. That's part of the reason I am pro-IQ at this point. I know a lot of people like to try to debunk IQ, but one of the main issues I have with that is the fact that those same people are not implementing alternative methods for determining who needs alternative class placements. Just as a child with downsyndrome needs that, a gifted child does as well.

People usually think of only the glamorous side of high IQ, while failing to consider the unique challenges and obstacles these people face, especially during their childhoods. Whether or not a gifted child gets these needs met can literally make or break their entire future success. Hell...my very life hinges upon it sometimes, especially recently, in the sense that intelligence causes higher sensitivity and pain, higher insight into things, which often results in existential issues. I can't even voice it, either, as it will be misunderstood and misinterpreted, and I will only receive backlash for it if I try to share. Generally speaking, people aren't allowed to have problems that pertain to high intelligence...not because they are too petty, but because it's socially unacceptable and treated like they're petty, because it's shit that most people haven't experienced, and therefore struggle to conceptualize...and their egos interfere with understanding whatever they actually could understand if they tried. You can't explain your problem because most people aren't genuinely going to get it, and you don't receive support when you try. Instead, you'll get shit for it, like "oh, boohoo, must be so terrible to be so smart and ace your classes." That's not all that being intelligent is, though.
    Last edited by Fluffy Princess Unicorn; 06-16-2023 at 01:56 AM.

Mentioned
    228 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

https://youtu.be/Zl7h7fOSsPE

People here criticize both IQ and JP, but yet...I really don't see very many others out there actually taking on these kinds of problems.

Do you deny some are smarter than others? If so, you're delusional. If you don't deny it, then the next question is...well, what does that mean then? Well, part of what it means is that educators have to confront the question of whether or not the education system is getting the educational needs of the entire intelligence level spectrum met. And so if your suggestion is to cut out the IQ, invalidate it, oppose it, and claim it means nothing, what is your proposition for how to approach meeting the needs of below and above average intelligence children? What would you suggest for getting their needs met? Would you also deny the existence of those problems, alongside your rejection of measured intelligence, and just choose not to have ways to get their needs met at all? If you can't measure it, you can't accommodate it. If you don't accommodate it, the education system is failing these minorities.
    Last edited by Fluffy Princess Unicorn; 06-16-2023 at 02:17 AM.

Mentioned
    228 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So...what, if we aren't leaders, we're just doomed to being alone?

Mentioned
    228 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, most of those are honestly minor.

There are things much more severe. My brother supposedly has a higher intelligence than me, I've watched it contribute to his drug addiction because he wanted to turn his mind off. There are some things I'd have to spend hours, if not more, explaining to some people--perhaps I may partly just be bad at it, but it's also just difficult in general to explqin foreign concepts to others. Those who have severe difficulties with mental health and have tried to get healthy people to understand what it's like know exactly what I'm talking about with this part. It's not too big-brained, it's simply too foreign to most people. It's like...you try to explain a teen's crippling depression that causes her to lie in bed and not brush their hair for a year and piss the bed because the teen was so depressed she couldnt get out of bed even for that, and someone is bound to say she is weak and compare it to the time they sat at the beach feeling sad for an evening. When it's not relatable, most people won't get it...and so even explaining what the problems are, tends to be a huge challenge, without someone having some background education about it.

Mentioned
    228 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Personally, I don't fully believe in EQ, either. IQ and EQ are very much intertwined and they correlate with one another. At times, from personal experience, I know the distinction is so thin, if there's any separation in them at all. Those with high IQs--if they aren't psychopaths, they tend to have higher levels of sensitivity and empathy. A lot of EQ concepts really, to me, seem to be founded upon those two things, as though it all branches off from them. If you can picture a mind map with everything originating from those two, that's basically what I perceive.

One of the greatest needs a gifted child has is for gifted peers--that social aspect is huge for them. That's something that getting an IQ test and then being placed in special schools or classes offers.

I say brilliant things sporadically BrainlessSquid's Avatar
    TIM
    IEE-Fi
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well...since you're an educator, I suppose I'll say this: I cannot stress enough that the further above average your IQ is, the more special needs you are. That's part of the reason I am pro-IQ at this point. I know a lot of people like to try to debunk IQ, but one of the main issues I have with that is the fact that those same people are not implementing alternative methods for determining who needs alternative class placements. Just as a child with downsyndrome needs that, a gifted child does as well.

People usually think of only the glamorous side of high IQ, while failing to consider the unique challenges and obstacles these people face, especially during their childhoods. Whether or not a gifted child gets these needs met can literally make or break their entire future success. Hell...my very life hinges upon it sometimes, especially recently, in the sense that intelligence causes higher sensitivity and pain, higher insight into things, which often results in existential issues. I can't even voice it, either, as it will be misunderstood and misinterpreted, and I will only receive backlash for it if I try to share. Generally speaking, people aren't allowed to have problems that pertain to high intelligence...not because they are too petty, but because it's socially unacceptable and treated like they're petty, because it's shit that most people haven't experienced, and therefore struggle to conceptualize...and their egos interfere with understanding whatever they actually could understand if they tried. You can't explain your problem because most people aren't genuinely going to get it, and you don't receive support when you try. Instead, you'll get shit for it, like "oh, boohoo, must be so terrible to be so smart and ace your classes." That's not all that being intelligent is, though.
    I think highly gifted people will tend to feel unfulfilled unless they make some contribution to society or humanity. They have in them the need for a higher purpose, and that's probably what they're meant to. Nature has its intentions, it's not just random distribution. Everything has a purpose to be fulfilled.
    By the way, I'm starting a self-development society here in my country, which focuses on helping people develop the best and healthiest practices in their daily lives in order for them to have a continuously expanding and improving life. After all that's the purpose of the universe, expansion in all its aspects.
    I really think you'd benefit from starting some project concerning some greater benefit for all, not saying that you're entitled to do such things, but just that you may use your higher vision for the benefit of mankind.

Edit: I feel every word you say in your posts. I think most people aren't able to get you. And I think this place is too small for you. But if you ever feel alone, and want to express your insights with anyone, I'd be glad to hear you.
    Sometimes you don't have motivation because you lack purpose.
    Sometimes you don't have purpose, because you lack self-knowledge
    Sometimes you don't have self-knowledge because you lack love
    Sometimes you don't have love because you lack self-love
    Sometimes you don't have self-love because you lack guess what? Ask Gulenko!!

TIM
    ILE
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

First link is kinda funny lol. I've always thought of myself as not average enough to enjoy a common life, not extraordinary enough to do anything I'd consider valuable. Just skilled enough to see how unskilled I am and be frustrated. I just wish someday I'll be content about my "gifts" rather than wishing I got a better one.

TIM
    IEI-Ni H946
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What I find interesting is what makes iq relatively fixed- you read that over n over again. It must be something to do with brain power plus some relatively essential part of personality- a combo of sociotype and some other part of the personality that is quite fixed. Btw I think depression would make it come unstable maybe

like some NT part of the brain that is relatively fixed

also remember people act like duals sometimes- SF could act like NT so this isn’t a criticism of non NTs
    Last edited by Bethanyclaire; 06-16-2023 at 12:21 PM.

Mentioned
    228 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by KarmaticGirlfriend View Post
    I think highly gifted people will tend to feel unfulfilled unless they make some contribution to society or humanity. They have in them the need for a higher purpose, and that's probably what they're meant to. Nature has its intentions, it's not just random distribution. Everything has a purpose to be fulfilled.
    By the way, I'm starting a self-development society here in my country, which focuses on helping people develop the best and healthiest practices in their daily lives in order for them to have a continuously expanding and improving life. After all that's the purpose of the universe, expansion in all its aspects.
    I really think you'd benefit from starting some project concerning some greater benefit for all, not saying that you're entitled to do such things, but just that you may use your higher vision for the benefit of mankind.
    I can't speak for gifted people in general with this, but I know that I, personally, have felt a deep sense of purpose for the last several years. It's something I have long felt has developed in a way that makes it feel as though I was born to fulfill it. I often say my life is not my own to live because I have a responsibility, and my life is something that has before, does still, and will later, require many burdens, efforts, and sacrifices, in order to see my vision through to its full completion.

When I was a teenager, someone asked what the meaning of life was, and while my peers responded "to live life, enjoy, have fun," I was the only one who responded, "learning, growing, and understanding." I've always been a little different...however, these days, I don't view the meaning of life in the same way. It seems strange to me when someone asks that question, because life simply "is," and I don't understand the human need for a collective meaning behind our existence. Why does there even need to be one? No one asks, "what is the meaning of dolphin lives?" They focus exclusively on our race, but really, we're only animals ourselves.

I think humans feel drawn to the idea of a higher calling and purpose, but where we go wrong is reflecting on said purpose for human beings as a whole. It's a question we may not ever have a real answer to, anyway. I think this questioning of our purpose actually stems from a deeper sense of need, rather than it being a literal question that we need answered. I think said need is better addressed via the individualistic route, "why am I here?" I think we all crave purpose, and it's an incredibly healthy and important anchor when we develop it. Nietzsche said, "he who has a why can bear almost any how." This is something that many people only ever find in religions, but I don't believe religion is at all necessary in order to attain the sense of purpose, strength, or meaning, that so many seek from it. In fact, I think religion merely offers a cheap, watered down substitute for what could be so much more satisfying if we all took our own paths. Without religion, you actually have to think, introspect, and have self-awareness, though. You have to figure out what you're good at and how to use those things for something that is important to you. I'm not referring to a career necessarily, but rather, a goal, a mission, something you believe in, something you can be passionate for. I think that is something fading further and further from the world, however, as Gen Z forms aspirations to be TikTokers making tons of money, rather than aspirations to specialize in a particular endeavor they care about. They are further from what they need than former generations. Their lives are incredibly empty.

TIM
    ILE
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Since drugs were mentioned on this thread yeah, the drugs thing is scary. Like here I am on dissos at work because my sleep schedule is a mess, and because I've achieved nothing at work over the last two weeks. It's funny because I just got in touch with drugs because I started researching them due to my interest in chemistry and found some interesting OTC stuff lol.
    The purpose thing is so real yet so stupid. Like for me, I feel like my brain is the only valuable thing about about myself, AND I'M NOT THAT FUCKING SMART Y'KNOW. MY EGO IS JUST GIGANTIC AT THE SAME TIME IT'S FREAKING TINY. Like I'm pathetic because I can outsmart my college peers but I spend most of my time thinking bruh why weren't I born some kind of savant. Why couldn't I be like fucking Évariste Galois, bruh developed a crazy ass math theory as a teenager then FUCKING DIED ON A DUEL LIKE???? Meanwhile here I was, thinking I could be a League of Legends proplayer despite my peak elo being platinum since I couldn't go out and shit.

I'm currently on a break from college and I hate it. Every single time I got a school or college break I got to my lowest. I've discussed this with a friend once and yeah, even though school was "easy" we derived a sense of purpose from it. I don't get it from my job. I just really like having a system telling me YOU NEED TO ACE THIS TEST. I don't know y'all I just want to be able to have a consistent sleep schedule and be at peace with mediocrity and have fun occasionally doing some lab experiments once in a while. NO ONE FUCKING CARES I WON'T GET A NOBEL PRIZE OR SOMETHING. I just want my brain to shut the fuck up and let me leave at peace. I shouldn't be posting this shit but also 1) who cares; 2) I'm on drugs; 3) NO JOKE I FORGOT WHAT 3 WAS GOING TO BE; 4) oh yeah no one here knows me in fact

TIM
    IEI-Ni H946
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I’d just like to chime in and say that ‘intelligent’ people in some ways can be less nice than less intelligent- they are more capable to manipulate etc. but I doubt this is the case for very high iq or nerdy people in general- of course exceptions

i say this after having been hurt by a guy who was smarter than me- someone who was nice and supposedly cared about me but his ego stopped him
    from seeing he was being not nice. And he also convinced many people at work to believe in him, until too late

i also think a significant difference in iq- maybe like 6 points can make for really good chemistry sometimes, even more maybe
    Last edited by Bethanyclaire; 06-16-2023 at 12:53 PM.

TIM
    H 694 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    114 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Riven View Post
    First link is kinda funny lol. I've always thought of myself as not average enough to enjoy a common life, not extraordinary enough to do anything I'd consider valuable. Just skilled enough to see how unskilled I am and be frustrated. I just wish someday I'll be content about my "gifts" rather than wishing I got a better one.
    That reminds a rather heartbreaking scene from "Amadeus" (my favorite movie ever). Salieri was a I call an Alcor star, an eclipsed genius.

Frustration can lead to an overcompensatory attitude namely workaholism. When you think you're an "almost but not quite there" you feel like you are always a step behind but it's obviously an illusion. Chasing an ideal of perfection sometimes makes you forget to relax, look back, measure and appreciate the distance covered. That's valuable. To me there are only three kinds of kids in school : those who need help, the normies and the prodigies. To me, gifted kids is a subcategory on the high spectrum of the normies , the are what we call in France "children of high potential".

Prodigies don't even need an IQ test (a relatively new psychometric designed to detect/identify learning difficulties not super intelligence which has nothing to do with it !), their uniqueness is expressed very early usually from them moment they learn to speak. Those kids would skip classes in the gifted kids school and obtain PHDs and/or high prizes and peer recognitions in their domain by the age 16-18 sometimes even at 15. That said, a significant amount of major breakthrough of humanity in every domains have been achieved (often serendipitously in scientific domains) by "normies".

TIM
    IEI-Ni H946
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When I think back to the smartest people in my year, that I can think of, two had parents who struggled with alcohol, one lost her mother at a young age and seems to be a workaholic now and two others- seem quite regular but did not know them well

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I scored 142 on the internet IQ test I forced myself to take several years ago. In spite of supposedly having a high IQ, I am sluggish of brain, dull-witted, and prone to make ridiculous intellectual mistakes.

TIM
    SLE-Ti 8w7 so/sp
    Mentioned
    268 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

IQ is just a hollow, vapid, quantitative measure of intelligence but not qualitative. A qualitative measure of intelligence is more practical in nature...instincts, common sense, street smarts, shrewdness, sharpness. there's a big, big difference between the two...a person can be high in both, low in one but high in the other (multi-millionaires can have average iqs with very high practical intelligence), or just low in both....

I say brilliant things sporadically BrainlessSquid's Avatar
    TIM
    IEE-Fi
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kill4Me View Post
    IQ is just a hollow, vapid, quantitative measure of intelligence but not qualitative. A qualitative measure of intelligence is more practical in nature...instincts, common sense, street smarts, shrewdness, sharpness. there's a big, big difference between the two...a person can be high in both, low in one but high in the other (multi-millionaires can have average iqs with very high practical intelligence), or just low in both....
    Practical intelligence is just Te.
    IQ usually measures abilities related to introversion, intuition and thinking.
    I am usually able to score high on verbal IQ tests but not much when the tests involve logical thinking.

I agree about multi millionaires having average IQs, because making money is easier than solving complex mental games. You basically just need to take a hell lot of action and innovate, advance, be efficient, dominate the market, etc. The rules are already written out
    Last edited by BrainlessSquid; 07-03-2023 at 12:48 PM.
    Sometimes you don't have motivation because you lack purpose.
    Sometimes you don't have purpose, because you lack self-knowledge
    Sometimes you don't have self-knowledge because you lack love
    Sometimes you don't have love because you lack self-love
    Sometimes you don't have self-love because you lack guess what? Ask Gulenko!!

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I read an interesting statistic on IQ recently...
    There are about 1300 active chess grandmasters in the world, about 360,000 active chess tournament players (people who take chess seriously enough to play in tournaments), and if we included people who don't play in tournaments there are tens of millions of chess players that play seriously around the world, and hundreds of millions who have played some. For example, in some places like Russia and India the game is part of their culture.
    So it's a very tiny number of players that reach grandmaster. According to google it's 0.00002% of all players that play the game, which is about 1 in 5 million. Point is it's a very small number. If we took that statistic at face value and mapped it to a normal curve it'd correspond to about a 176 IQ.

So chess is a mental competition if there ever was one, you might expect the high IQ population to dominate at it, and find the average grandmasters IQ to be way in the stratosphere. And yet... a small study I read recently found the average chess grandmasters IQ is 135. Which corresponds to about the top 1% of the population. This is high, but it's not mind blowlingly high... not 1 in 5 million. Furthermore, the average chess players IQ is about 110, so 135 within a population average of 110 is... more like in the top 6% of the population.
    Bear in mind half of the GMs are actually below 135.

So what is the point.... you might say well DogOfDanger, it's obvious that the chess grandmasters just tried way harder than everyone else at chess! Yes... that really is the point. The human mind has this amazing capacity to specialize and develop talent in specific areas, and this specialization seems to be a better predictor of ability in that area - this is even true with a mental task like chess. The good news is this is something that can be developed, unlike your IQ...
    People usually don't consider this to be real intelligence, because it's a developed mental ability tied to a particular context, and they just kind of discount it. But it's such a powerful ability and it's underestimated.

So this data should be encouraging, you don't have to dismiss the validity of IQ but you also don't have to give up on striving for greatness... The thing always missing in these IQ conversation is what the person actually does.
    I don't want to suggest super-high IQ people can't do great things if they apply themselves, they can... but I still think this applied intelligence is an essential part of intelligence.
    Lets say you had a super-high IQ person who filled their mind with garbage - they watched TV all day, their memories were full of character analysis of their favorite TV characters. Or maybe they played video games all day, and could recount every detail of all the dungeons in Elder Scrolls 5 or something.
    This person is going to be kind of crippled and dysfunctional in real life.
    So is this person intelligent? Yes, but not in every context, and not in a useful context.

I've had some other experiences with this... I'm an engineer, the competition is pretty fierce amongst engineers, my fellow engineers are generally smart and capable. When I was in college I disconnected my phone, disconnected my internet, and read books pretty much all day. The only information I put into my mind pertained to engineering. By the end of it I was so saturated in that world - I knew more and could out-think / out-talk pretty much anyone on topics of engineering. And I went on to be very successful in the field...
    So I think by being disciplined about what you fill your mind with... you can really completely change the way your mind works. And maybe this is encouraging news for people lower on the IQ curve.
    There are engineers with below average IQs... they probably do try way harder than others, but they do it.
    Last edited by DogOfDanger; 07-03-2023 at 04:19 PM.

TIM
    IEI-Ni H946
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lol I was depressed and watched tv all day- it just made me see people in real life as characters, which is kinda cool in a way, it was my brain’s basic but less than ideal coping mechanism. I have always had an excellent moral back bone too- life is like a story. By some miracle I seem to have come through it and I suddenly feel a lot smarter. It annoys me I’ve lost out on ‘acquired intelligence’ but oh well, to overcome depression is its own reward.

I noted in life that I often go for ‘smart boys’ even ones who aren’t right for me, maybe as my dad is the smarter out of my mum and dad. She’d prob disagree lol. It can be really hard to decide who you think is smarter lol.

I think it’s an interesting convo in the context of compatibility and ITR, like I was saying in another thread how a smart semi dual might be more attractive than a less smart dual.

also, like if you feel like you ‘failed’ a bit in life, you might not want someone who is super smart, coz it might feel competitive

I read the other day that between parents and siblings the difference on average is 10/12 points

Someone in here said that the attraction in duality is ‘intellectual’ so I’m guessing in some way a dual
    partner will feel like your intellectual match
    Last edited by Bethanyclaire; 07-03-2023 at 07:10 PM.

TIM
    SLE-Ti 8w7 so/sp
    Mentioned
    268 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CyclicalFreedom View Post
    Practical intelligence is just Te.
    IQ usually measures abilities related to introversion, intuition and thinking.
    I am usually able to score high on verbal IQ tests but not much when the tests involve logical thinking.
    Practicality is generally too crude for Te. Te is more systematic in their approach towards problem-solving and still garners a bias towards the "right way" of achieving their objectives rather than taking the most practical route...not to mention many Te have an abundant lack of street smarts.

I agree about multi millionaires having average IQs, because making money is easier than solving complex mental games.
    That's bullshit....lots of folks with average IQs and above-average IQs couldn't make a million dollars to save their life. Even if they do make some bank, the majority of their earning potential ends up getting checkmated anyway by marriage, kids and 30 year mortgages.

You have to also remember that complex power, political and psychological games get played out in the real world everyday and requires a degree of mastery over in order to solve that these millionaires with average iqs advanced through using high intelligence (practical sense, street smarts)...solving rubiks cube puzzles is not necessarily harder than pursuits like putting together complex deals or getting a commercial skyscraper developed...or even just sniffing out deals and opportunities. Solving a math problem is one of those few areas where somebody who has a very high iq but zero practical ability can thrive in, because the requirement there is largely quantitative. But as I said, IQ is merely a quantitative measure just like height is a quantitative measure...Michael Jordan is easily a greater basketball player than Shaq was....even though Jordan was only about 6'6 compared to Shaq's 7 foot plus. Height doesn't speak to the quality of one's height in terms of its application on a basketball court just like IQ doesn't speak to the quality of one's intelligence in terms of its application in the real world.

You basically just need to take a hell lot of action and innovate, advance, be efficient, dominate the market, etc. The rules are already written out.
    One, everybody and their mother knows that already, two, none of that exists inside of a vacuum but within a dog-eat-dog cut-throat environment....which is why for every 1 that succeeds, 20 go bust and three, real life has constantly changing variables and wild swings from one week to the next that renders yesterdays' "grand strategy" as today's junk. Sometimes in different venues rules are set up as a price of admission and/or as means of exclusion by the guys that have been there for awhile but largely those rules are both manmade and illusory.

Banned
    TIM
    Heretic
    Mentioned
    151 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

https://youtu.be/Zl7h7fOSsPE

People here criticize both IQ and JP, but yet...I really don't see very many others out there actually taking on these kinds of problems.

Do you deny some are smarter than others? If so, you're delusional. If you don't deny it, then the next question is...well, what does that mean then? Well, part of what it means is that educators have to confront the question of whether or not the education system is getting the educational needs of the entire intelligence level spectrum met. And so if your suggestion is to cut out the IQ, invalidate it, oppose it, and claim it means nothing, what is your proposition for how to approach meeting the needs of below and above average intelligence children? What would you suggest for getting their needs met? Would you also deny the existence of those problems, alongside your rejection of measured intelligence, and just choose not to have ways to get their needs met at all? If you can't measure it, you can't accommodate it. If you don't accommodate it, the education system is failing these minorities.
    How is some random normie with a Bachelor's degree in education supposed to start Xavier's School for Gifted Youngsters again? Never mind this guy...

Never mind that his rhetoric is a bit more like the "God Hates Mutants" guy from Deadpool 2. Note to people here: to some of us, bragging about your 150 IQ sounds a little like Alive bragging about doing 30 push-ups.

context is king
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There is something very sad about bragging about IQ while not accomplishing, or even without trying to accomplishing something.
    ἀταραξία

Banned
    Mentioned
    1404 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pseudomorph View Post
    bragging about your 150 IQ sounds a little
    This may depend on concrete test. In Internet app/site can be anything, for example.

> like Alive bragging about doing 30 push-ups

2-4 weeks and he'll do

TIM
    IEI-Ni H946
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Better to be aware of iq difference than unaware. Managers typically have slightly higher iq (generalising and this is again something I read on internet) but am also observing it in the big company i worked for. Active union with mix of managers and caring, intellectual types and random outcasts like me- keep those crazy gas lighters in their place and stop multiple colleagues committing suicide after harassment. Knowing natural strengths- fluid/crystallised, help you to find what you need to keep going/switch direction and be gentle when working on the painful weak parts of yourself.

TIM
    IEI-Ni H946
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

On the whole higher iq probably correlates with being more cruel/less nice. It’s a type of power after all.

Banned
    Mentioned
    1404 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

On the whole higher iq probably correlates with being more cruel/less nice.
    The opposite. As to be emotionally liked by other people is helpful for you to be alive, to achieve own wishes in cooperations with them. While IQ (as it's supposed to be) is general intellectual abbility to stay alive (by solving life tasks).

In Jung types. It needs resources to hold and switch the attention, so better developed mind should to have higher sum of function pairs strenghtes: T+F, S+N. To develop skills in one function it lesser needs to suppress the overal strenght of opposite function, to use a function it needs to be lesser rigid in ignoring the opposite function.
    With better general IQ the sums of functional pairs should be higher. So a human with higher IQ and with same abbilities and working efforts in one function, should to have better developed skills and to act better (by social norms) in opposite function.

To be perceived emotionally "nice" much means skills in F. The problem here in Jung types have T types. Though, today IQ tests are accented on TN tasks and hence T types get higher marks there, there should be positive link of higher IQ and emotional skills, quality of social interactions.
    Secondary, for this will help human's better emotional state (people in good emotions inspire higher sympathy). To this state predisposes the higher abbility to solve common intellectual tasks, so there will be lesser overload of psyche and hence lesser its disfunction. People who see more of usefulness of such human will relate better what will support his positive emotions. Higher IQ should correlate with better quality of brain and hence lesser chance of psyche disorders, including emotional ones.
    While, people with lower IQ have higher risks to break social norms as it's harder for them to live by rules. They are more often found among geting condemnations/antipathy for breaking, not fiting to norms/requirements and should among criminals.

It's about average tendency, which I expect to be for some IQ regions or in whole. It's possibly to find people with higher IQ and more social problems, a number of which would not change the tendency.

When you studed, you should remember qualities of those who got higher marks. More % of morally doubtful you should notice among those with lower studing abbilities. To act in own interests and also to take into account interests/understanding of other people to be liked by them too - this needs higher intelligence.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast