Thread: In Case You Doubted the Global Warming Consensus...

Hybrid View

TIM
    Ne-IEE 6w7 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    221 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by wacey View Post
    So I have to ask the doubters, is it a matter of doubt in global warming as an absolute phenomenon that is really happening, which it is, or is it a matter of doubt in the way our society is grappling and managing it?

Because one is sheer ignorance (choosing to ignoring what is true), and the other is just sensical scepticism of the needed solutions.
    No one here is doubting global warming's existence. The debate lies on whether the cause is anthropogenic or if it is another cause or both. Grouping global warming deniers with those skeptical of an anthropogenic cause is disingenuous.

The crux of the matter is largely the latter where there is a matter of doubt in the way society is grappling and managing it. The reason why is simple, global warming is being used largely for political and financial motivations by forcing the narrative that it is 100 percent anthropogenic.

The vast majority of climate scientists are certain that global warming is occurring, but there is a lot of uncertainty in the cause of it. A good amount of scientists believe it is anthropogenic, while there is also a good amount that believe it is non-anthropogenic or both or they are simply uncertain.
    “We cannot change the cards we are dealt, just how we play the hand.” Randy Pausch

Ne-IEE
    6w7 sp/sx
    6w7-9w1-4w5

TIM
    9w8
    Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Raver View Post
    No one here is doubting global warming's existence. The debate lies on whether the cause is anthropogenic or if it is another cause or both. Grouping global warming deniers with those skeptical of an anthropogenic cause is disingenuous.

The crux of the matter is largely the latter where there is a matter of doubt in the way society is grappling and managing it. The reason why is simple, global warming is being used largely for political and financial motivations by forcing the narrative that it is 100 percent anthropogenic.

The vast majority of climate scientists are certain that global warming is occurring, but there is a lot of uncertainty in the cause of it. A good amount of scientists believe it is anthropogenic, while there is also a good amount that believe it is non-anthropogenic or both or they are simply uncertain.
    Distrust in bureaucracy, business, government, the system, is being projected onto distrust of the warming phenomenon. That is the true optics here.

Further, calling it non-anthropogenic caused is just as fallacious as saying it is anthropogenic , if there are no conclusive answers yet (there are).

TIM
    Ne-IEE 6w7 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    221 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Distrust in bureaucracy, business, government, the system, is being projected onto distrust of the warming phenomenon. That is the true optics here.
    For good reason in that there is a lot to be gained by those entities if the cause of global warming is anthropogenic and nothing to be gained if it is not. The reality might be somewhere in between though.

Ftr, I am all for taking care of the environment through less dependence on oil, increased usage of electric cars, less usage of coal power plants and the like.

However, carbon tax is just an insiduous method of deriving more money from the general public especially when corporations can easily find loopholes from it and the general public cannot.
    “We cannot change the cards we are dealt, just how we play the hand.” Randy Pausch

Ne-IEE
    6w7 sp/sx
    6w7-9w1-4w5

TIM
    9w8
    Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For good reason in that there is a lot to be gained by those entities if the cause of global warming is anthropogenic and nothing to be gained if it is not.

Ftr, I am all for taking care of the environment through less dependence on oil, increased usage of electric cars, less usage of coal power plants and the like.

However, carbon tax is just an insiduous method of deriving more money from the general public especially when corporations can easily find loopholes from it and the general public cannot.
    The Carbon Tax is not applied to people, only people who release C02 into the atmosphere and is measured by the tonnage. Average people like you or I, will not need to pay for that, and the handed down costs are minimal.

TIM
    Ne-IEE 6w7 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    221 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

The Carbon Tax is not applied to people, only people who release C02 into the atmosphere and is measured by the tonnage. Average people like you or I, will not need to pay for that, and the handed down costs are minimal.
    My gas costs have noticeably increased because of a carbon tax added on to gas where I live. I feel the effects of carbon tax weekly when I fill up my car for gas and I have to pay much more. This is just one example mind you. I would not care about carbon tax if it did not impact me directly, but it does.

Ne-IEE
    6w7 sp/sx
    6w7-9w1-4w5

TIM
    9w8
    Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My gas costs have noticeably increased because of a carbon tax added on to gas where I live. I feel the effects of carbon tax weekly when I fill up my car for gas and I have to pay much more. This is just one example mind you. I would not care about carbon tax if it did not impact me directly, but it does.
    Well, that is the mechanism, the driving force behind pushing for a change to electric. It hurts, because its meant to, but just barely tolerable. The Governments are us.

TIM
    Ne-IEE 6w7 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    221 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Well, that is the mechanism, the driving force behind pushing for a change to electric. It hurts, because its meant to, but just barely tolerable. The Governments are us.
    Carbon tax on gas just looks like a cash grab from the government to me. It will do little to encourage the transition from gas to electric cars. However, tax credits on electric car purchases and other incentives to make electric cars cheaper though are actual ways to encourage electric car usage.

Ne-IEE
    6w7 sp/sx
    6w7-9w1-4w5