Thread: Fi sensitivity

Hybrid View

Mentioned
    914 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

I don't know if Fi egos are are overall more easily offended in terms of quantity/frequency of offense but I think a few things contribute to this perception: 1) their buttons are sometimes idiosyncratic and it can be difficult to predict what will offend them unless you know them well, 2) they're confident in their perception that you said/did something 'wrong' even if it isn't globally perceived as a wrong, and 3) they're constantly evaluating how they stand in relation to you and how subjectively good/bad they feel you are, so if they're offended it carries a certain weight with respect to your relationship (this is probably true for anyone but it's more at the forefront with them). These things can be nerve racking to deal with.

Jesus is the cruel sausage consentingadult's Avatar
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sorrows View Post
    ^This is exactly it. Even when I know them well it always surprises me.
    I do not quite agree to this: what needs to be differentiated here, are cause and effect, or in this particular case, motivation and behavior. You can perform the same act twice, resulting in similar behavior on the outside, but getting differences in response from an Fi-valuer. What causes the difference in response? The difference in underlying motivation for the actions.

It might seem idiosyncratic from a behavioral perspective, but it isn't from a motivational POV. Fi valuers do not so much pass judgment on behavior, but more on character. It also looks at long term effects of actions, which also has to do with result-oriented Te.

Fe valuers, on the other hand, are more inclined to judge outward behavior, irrespective of what motivated the behavior, and no motive can justify certain behaviors. This also ties in with Ti, which lays down the rules, irrespective of contexts.
    “I have never tried that before, so I think I should definitely be able to do that.” --- Pippi Longstocking

Mentioned
    914 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by consentingadult View Post
    It might seem idiosyncratic from a behavioral perspective, but it isn't from a motivational POV. Fi valuers do not so much pass judgment on behavior, but more on character.
    !!!!this

TIM
    EIE-Ni 3w4 sx
    Mentioned
    256 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by consentingadult View Post
    I do not quite agree to this: what needs to be differentiated here, are cause and effect, or in this particular case, motivation and behavior. You can perform the same act twice, resulting in similar behavior on the outside, but getting differences in response from an Fi-valuer. What causes the difference in response? The difference in underlying motivation for the actions.

It might seem idiosyncratic from a behavioral perspective, but it isn't from a motivational POV. Fi valuers do not so much pass judgment on behavior, but more on character. It also looks at long term effects of actions, which also has to do with result-oriented Te.

Fe valuers, on the other hand, are more inclined to judge outward behavior, irrespective of what motivated the behavior, and no motive can justify certain behaviors. This also ties in with Ti, which lays down the rules, irrespective of contexts.
    That's actually a very accurate distinction