Banned
    TIM
    Heretic
    Mentioned
    151 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default "Christian Atheists"

I find "Christian atheists" absolutely the most horrible viewpoint anyone could have, honestly. It's one thing to believe there's a God or no God; it's another to somehow think church had a good influence on Western civilization and not a destructive one. It's even more annoying when Jewish and other people such as Ben Shapiro join the postmodern religion bandwagon. Either you believe in your God or not, and if you believe in your God, why do you actively urge other people to believe what you consider to be falsehoods? The article I posted below is basically everything wrong. I feel like I can accept "Jesusism" like Bob Dylan had and all sorts of personal beliefs people can't really help because you don't really choose what you believe, but turning that around and being an atheist who somehow thinks organized religion is beneficial... is perplexing.

This article is an example of everything wrong. Maybe I'll go pull up some articles criticizing "Christian atheism."

Meet the New New Atheists, Not Like the Old New Atheists | Evolution News

Additionally, Western Civilization was not always Christian, and not all members of it have been Christian, so that part of the argument is terrible. It just leads to people listening to Christian music to themselves and trying to convince themselves Christianity is great when they very self-consciously don't believe it because they believe it'd be good for them.

Banned
    TIM
    Heretic
    Mentioned
    151 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Listening to Young Atheists: Lessons for a Stronger Christianity - The Atlantic

Quote Originally Posted by The Atlantic
    Sincerity does not trump truth. After all, one can be sincerely wrong. But sincerity is indispensable to any truth we wish others to believe. There is something winsome, even irresistible, about a life lived with conviction. I am reminded of the Scottish philosopher and skeptic, David Hume, who was recognized among a crowd of those listening to the preaching of George Whitefield, the famed evangelist of the First Great Awakening:"I thought you didn't believe in the Gospel," someone asked.
    "I do not," Hume replied. Then, with a nod toward Whitefield, he added, "But he does."
    Richard Dawkins & co.: Create the problem themselves (insincere "religious" people) then offer up the solution ("New Atheism.") Everyone loses all-around.

Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

IMO, part of why New Atheism never caught is that the 'End of History' narrative is baked into it. New Atheism never offered an alternative to the idea that human beings ought to be hyper-individualistic pleasure-maximizers. And while this cultural neoliberalism clearly appeals to some, it clearly doesn't appeal to everyone.

TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    661 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Since there's more self-appointed "Christians" than there are atheists, it's probably just a way for them to manipulate events so more people will know what they are talking about. It's hard to start any platform truly being by yourself or an actual minority. Well I think you can do it, but it requires aggression and "balls" a lot of people don't have. I see people doing this thing a lot, pretending to be moderate/agreeing with both sides to try and keep the peace but really of course they are in one camp or the other. It's kinda easy to see through what they really believe often though, beyond the social etiquette.

Most people who call themselves Christians are just Pharisees anyway, which Jesus informed us will not be going to Heaven and Jesus/God are going to make fun of them forever while holding a nice ice cold Pepsi just out of arm's reach and snatch it away the last second when they want relief from their thirst.