Quote Originally Posted by Adam Strange View Post
The US political system of two parties is truly screwed up.

But with respect to your question of why someone with absolute power would allow others to make decisions, I can answer from my own experience.

When I was working in a factory, I got a promotion to Production Manager, my first real position of power. It happened on a Friday, and my first thought was, "Bwahahahah! Power!" and then I realized that the guys would probably cause me to have an "accident" if I acted like that. So, on Monday morning I came up with the idea that I was on a football team and I was the water boy, making sure that the production guys, who were the real stars, had everything they needed to do their jobs. I started that job with that philosophy, and it turned out great.

I also learned something else. I had a degree in Astrophysics from a very good school, and the guys working for me probably had HS diplomas, about half of them, anyway. I would give them an assignment and would let them figure out how to accomplish it. I'd review it with them during a planning session which also determined what they would need to do the job, how long it would take, what it would cost, etc.

And something happened that really surprised me. The guys consistently came up with ways to do their jobs which were much better than anything I ever could have thought of, no matter how long I spend thinking. I realized that a group is stronger than one guy, especially when everyone is assured that their voice will be heard and their suggestions valued and respected.

So I listen to the majority because I get better outcomes that way. I have to humble myself and give up the sense that I'm always right (actually, I've been keeping score and I'm right about 30% of the time), but the democratic outcomes put us ahead of the competition. I should add that I don't always end up doing what I think is best, and that is very hard to do.

A manager's output is the output of the people working for him. A leader's output can be much greater than than, but you can't lead someone to any place they don't want to go.
A non-tyrannical ENTj?
Is this real life?
Pinch me.