Thread: Thomas Carlyle

TIM
    EIE
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Thomas Carlyle

“What we become depends on what we read after all of the professors have finished with us. The greatest university of all is a collection of books.”

“If Jesus Christ were to come today, people would not even crucify him. They would ask him to dinner, and hear what he had to say, and make fun of it.”

“A loving heart is the beginning of all knowledge.”

"Truly it is a sad thing for a people, as for a man, to fall into Scepticism, into dilettantism, insincerity; not to know Sincerity when they see it. For this world, and for all worlds, what curse is so fatal?"

"Worship is transcendent wonder; wonder for which there is now no limit or measure; that is worship."

"To me, in these circumstances, that of "Hero-worship" becomes a fact inexpressibly precious; the most solacing fact one sees in the world at present. There is an everlasting hope in it for the management of the world. Had all traditions, arrangements, creeds, societies that men ever instituted, sunk away, this would remain. The certainty of Heroes being sent us; our faculty, our necessity, to reverence Heroes when sent: it shines like a polestar through smoke-clouds, dust-clouds, and all manner of down-rushing and conflagration."

I say he's an ExI, leaning towards ESI.

TIM
    EIE
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jacobus View Post
    I say he's an ExI, leaning towards ESI.
    Hmph.
    Carlyle was probably IEI, don't know how I didn't immediately think Ni-type. Maybe a 4w5.