Quote Originally Posted by Sol View Post
"let the birds decide for themselves what they consider to be disgusting or not"

I was against this approach as general rule.
Most animals instinctively know which food is good for them and which isn't. Also a lot of animals are able to digest food humans are consider to be rotten.
Maybe for some kind of pets a preselection of food by a human is needed especially in case the animal can't select from a variety of food on their own.

The main idea was that animals which do not deal with some food in their common nature may to have no correct instinctual reactions and such to eat food which is harmful for them.
My idea was that most animals are born with the instinct what kind of food ist good for them.

How do you know what food is eatable and what is digusting? Own experience? Being taught by other people?

There is an example of dogs. They are not adopted like humans to sugar food, - it may harm them. But they'll eat it with a pleasure.
I've never seen dogs that eat fruits or go for sweets in general.
But I know that a dog from a family in my neighborhood snapped and munched a big sausage... and needed a treatment from a veterinarian afterwards, mainly because of the salt and the spices in it.
But that was processed food for humans, not dog food, and the main ingredient was indeed meat.

> But you've to distinguish between rotten and overripe

it's unpredictable what was called as "rotten" and how animals will react on unusual food in any its state. they may eat it when it's bad for them
The question was about bananas... and the probability that the're overripe is way higher than rotten.
Brownish peel is a sign for overripeness... but I guess there are a lot of people would call them rotten.

Otherwise I speak from my own experience and while there are animals who don't know what food is good for them, a lot of animals do know it.