Thread: EII/INFj - doomed to be perceived as arrogant?

Hybrid View

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@Cuivienen

I don't hate men, I hate misogyny. I have seen what misogyny does to both men and women and it's goddamn terrifying, so sometimes I react negatively to dudes but I'm self aware enough to reflect on whether my behaviour was warranted or not. It's definitely not black and white and anyone who views it like that needs a reality check.

I don't consider myself authority, so banter doesn't bother me.

I can appreciate shock value humour when it concerns criticising social taboos (Eminem style shock value), I’ve engaged in that kind of humour myself. But I don’t tolerate personal slights. For instance, I know a dude who likes trolling people. It’s really irritating and he often crosses the line. He will bring people’s personal lives into question when they criticise his opinions. He’ll mention that they have an eating disorder in front of a group of people that person doesn’t know. Now that’s mean-spirited, imo. I’m very intolerant of that kind of “humour” if you can even call it that.

If I want to hurt someone’s feelings, I play on their vulnerabilities and watch them squirm. I don’t do this usually and more often than not I regret doing it.

Yeah, okay, but can we agree that some opinions are actually really stupid? I get some people like to be devil’s advocate and don’t necessarily agree with everything they spew, but its different when they’re being serious. Racist, homophobic and sexist opinions irritate me and I deem them harmful. I call that shit out.

So about that last point you made… I usually have trouble prioritising myself over others. I may not always know what I want, but I do know what I don’t want and I mould my direction in life according to that.

AM I AN EII YOU'D LIKE TO GET TO KNOW?

TIM
    IEE 379 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by thelocust View Post
    @Cuivienen

I don't hate men, I hate misogyny. I have seen what misogyny does to both men and women and it's goddamn terrifying, so sometimes I react negatively to dudes but I'm self aware enough to reflect on whether my behaviour was warranted or not. It's definitely not black and white and anyone who views it like that needs a reality check.
    What are some examples of misogynistic behaviour, to you? That might help me understand.

I don't consider myself authority, so banter doesn't bother me.

I can appreciate shock value humour when it concerns criticising social taboos (Eminem style shock value), I’ve engaged in that kind of humour myself. But I don’t tolerate personal slights. For instance, I know a dude who likes trolling people. It’s really irritating and he often crosses the line. He will bring people’s personal lives into question when they criticise his opinions. He’ll mention that they have an eating disorder in front of a group of people that person doesn’t know. Now that’s mean-spirited, imo. I’m very intolerant of that kind of “humour” if you can even call it that.
    It is not trolling to mention somebody's medical information in public. If you do something like that, you have seriously violated their privacy, and you could be sued for damages.

Trolling is generally a form of humour that pokes fun at social taboos, status quo beliefs and values. It is never personal.

If I want to hurt someone’s feelings, I play on their vulnerabilities and watch them squirm. I don’t do this usually and more often than not I regret doing it.

Yeah, okay, but can we agree that some opinions are actually really stupid? I get some people like to be devil’s advocate and don’t necessarily agree with everything they spew, but its different when they’re being serious. Racist, homophobic and sexist opinions irritate me and I deem them harmful. I call that shit out.
    There are no stupid opinions, only stupid actions. I don't care too much what you believe; I judge people on what they do or don't do.

AM I AN EII YOU'D LIKE TO GET TO KNOW?
    You could send me some sexy pics to help me decide.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cuivienen View Post
    What are some examples of misogynistic behaviour, to you? That might help me understand.
    Innate hatred for women, believing they're lesser beings yet still demanding emotional control over them. Being one way in front of them and degrading them behind their back. I believe misogyny manifests due to inequality and power imbalance.

It is not trolling to mention somebody's medical information in public. If you do something like that, you have seriously violated their privacy, and you could be sued for damages.

Trolling is generally a form of humour that pokes fun at social taboos, status quo beliefs and values. It is never personal.
    But his intention is to get a rise out of people. I consider that trolling.

There are no stupid opinions, only stupid actions. I don't care too much what you believe; I judge people on what they do or don't do.
    Stupid actions manifest from stupid opinions.

You could send me some sexy pics to help me decide.

TIM
    IEE 379 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Innate hatred for women, believing they're lesser beings yet still demanding emotional control over them. Being one way in front of them and degrading them behind their back. I believe misogyny manifests due to inequality and power imbalance.
    In my experience, most misogynists are women. After all, it takes quite an effort for a man to hate someone who he is sexually attracted to.

I am sure you would agree

But his intention is to get a rise out of people. I consider that trolling.
    I think the harm that is caused by say, making fun of feminism is orders of magnitude lesser to the harm that is caused by releasing someone's private medical details.

Stupid actions manifest from stupid opinions.
    Not necessarily. People will often behave in ways that don't reflect what they claim to believe. Therefore I would say the inverse of your statement is true: good actions do not necessarily manifest from good opinions.

We must remember that an unscrupulous man can sometimes betray himself and do good which he did not intend. Likewise the world has no lack of false messiahs, who are doomed to create a hell on earth while they try to reach heaven.

You never know, a year from now we might be married.

Mentioned
    914 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

In my experience, most misogynists are women. After all, it takes quite an effort for a man to hate someone who he is sexually attracted to.

I am sure you would agree
    Confusing sex with affection is a rookie mistake

TIM
    IEE 379 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by lungs View Post
    Confusing sex with affection is a rookie mistake

LOLOL