I feel like at the crux of this is a distinction between inter-dependence which is what strong relationships are, and co-dependence which are unhealthy relationships. strict independence is freedom from both, so you can't have both strong relationships and total independence, i.e. more of one is less of the other.

this idea that you can have a strong relationship and be independent is only true if you somehow define freedom from relational bonds as the ideal relationship, but it turns on an idiosyncratic definition of strong which basically means "preferable"--"I prefer my relationships to be weak", is the same as saying "my ideal relationships are characterized by greater independence". maybe it goes to Fi- the ideal is movement away from bad relations. the low res version of that is something like "better no relations or weak relations than co-dependent relations" which I have a certain sympathy for. but I think that's half the story, since strong relations don't necessitate falling into codependency. like in principle good relations exist