Thread: Calling All Feminists

Threaded View

Mentioned
    914 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cuivienen View Post
    I kind of regret arguing in the fashion I did now, because it seems to have confused some people about my position.

I am not bothered by inequality because it's a natural consequence of our differences. Nobody is holding anyone else back from achieving their potential, we just end up in different places. So long as our basic needs (food, water, sleep, sex) are met, these differences should not be a cause of concern to anyone.

However, those who do consider inequality to be a moral issue need to be far more consistent in their objections. Stop focusing only on those inequalities that affect women.
    There are some matters of life and death, basic needs, etc at stake in feminism, even in the west. Some are obvious, ie. domestic violence, and some are more convoluted ie. lack of access to reproductive options leading to poverty. You don't have to think those are serious, or widespread, or "as bad as what happens to men," or whatever, but just speaking to intent - from the pov of feminists who care about these things, they are concerned with basic needs and you probably aren't going to convince them that their concerns aren't important.

Its interesting that people concerned w/ women's issues are told they should broaden their scope, include everyone, stop being so self interested, etc, while other groups promoting for their interests don't face that sort of criticism, and I think it's because it's a particularly effective strategy against women. Feminism in particular is already more inclusive than other movements, with the concept of "intersectionality" and with a lot of people focusing more than anything else now on convincing men that feminism is sexy, fun, sex positive, "for men too!" etc. and it seems to me that the response to the guilting of women into being more inclusive & caring (hmm..) is a large part of what has diluted the movement into the petty internet & college culture thing (not focused enough on real issues, just wanting to take their tits out) that is now complained about. It's a double bind.
    Last edited by ashlesha; 09-16-2017 at 03:54 PM.