Thread: Reinin dichotomies are "big picture"

TIM
    LIE
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Reinin dichotomies are "big picture"

When you say someone is dynamic/static, positivist/negativist,etc.. in what aspect of their life do we mean? or what inner part of them? aren't some Reinin dichotomies too general?

Mentioned
    486 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

in any aspect they manifest discernible personality

introspection obviously opens up a lot of areas

Mentioned
    287 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Zero View Post
    When you say someone is dynamic/static, positivist/negativist,etc.. in what aspect of their life do we mean? or what inner part of them? aren't some Reinin dichotomies too general?
    Some are too general, vague and useless. Others are far more applicable. Static/dynamic is a very basic tenet of socionics, so that's one that's good to understand. Positivist/negativist I think is useful to look at in terms of Gulenko's interpretation of convergence/divergence and has more applicability in general than some others. All of it is in regards to cognition imo (not behavior, because the causes of varying behavior can be very different sources) You can see various dichotomies show up however in people's writing style and approach as writing style usually follows thinking style, and what a person focuses on comes out in what they choose to talk (or write) about. How they go about doing this sometimes shows itself clearly, other times it's next to impossible to tell.

Seed my wickedness The Reality Denialist's Avatar
    TIM
    EIE-C-Ni ™
    Mentioned
    340 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I think definitions are bit off . Thinking in terms of meaning and comparing both ends helps out if you connect them ITR especially to duality.
    MOTTO: NEVER TRUST IN REALITY
    Winning is for losers

Sincerely yours,
    idiosyncratic type
    Life is a joke but do you have a life?

Joinif you dare https://matrix.to/#/#The16Types:matrix.org

Mentioned
    486 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

yeah I feel like socionics in general suffers from linguistic issues, because some ideas, like especially the dichotomies, have such subtle shades of meaning, like asking/declaring, that between everything needing to be translated taken together with the inherent difficulty in reducing certain complexes to single words, that one can easily be mislead. better, like unsuccessful alphamale said, try to think less in terms of what the word typically represents, but in terms of what the dichotomy is trying to represent which is almost always something different from the literal meaning of the word, sometimes to an extremely abstract and removed extent to where it would be better to put the word out of your mind and focus on the presence of a trait that exists on a scale present to some degree in everyone and try to infer what dichotomy they're going for based on description

like @squark I find positivism/negativism and static/dynamic to be easier to spot and very helpful in sorting out type, because often times people have narrowed it down sufficiently such that those two dichotomies alone can prove dispositive without needing a complete and accurate understanding of all 11 (which I'm not sure anyone has)

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I also think that the Judicious/Decisive, Merry/Serious and Democratic/Aristocratic dichotomies can be useful, at some extent, to determine a one's Quadra, since a different preference in one of them can be a sign that the person belongs to a particular subtype.

For example, I'm a LII, and thus Alpha (Judicious, Merry, Democratic). But as a LII-Ti, which strengthens , , and , I'm in some ways similar to a Delta ST. That's why my preference in the three dichotomies can be more Delta-oriented (Judicious, Serious, Aristocratic).
    KEEP IT LIGHT AND KEEP IT MOVING