Thread: "ego-hit"

TIM
    ILE
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default "ego-hit"

When someone attacks your ego and it kind of hurts. The sensation is somewhat like being hit and after a few moments its gone. Is this related to PoLR hits or is it just someone attacking you for the sake of higher their own self esteem, maybe both?

TIM
    LIE-Ni
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You mean when someone criticizes your ego functions?

TIM
    ILE
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would characterize ego-hit more of being butthurt(-attack), more like an attack when one person is neglecting or downplaying the other persons "ego".

TIM
    psyche 4w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    1005 Post(s)
    Tagged
    42 Thread(s)

An ego hit can be something like, what you thought was a close friend deprioritizing you in favor of others. You become irrelevant to them when you thought you were somewhat relevant in specific ways. It seems they no longer value your input and go to others for the same kind of input they used to get from you, sometimes in front of you, like you aren't even there. Also watching them use the same tactics and language they used on you to coax certain responses from other people that you have already given and then they act like the other people are saying something they never heard before. It seems like they forgot you gave them the same kind of feedback or even worse they didn't trust or value what you had given. Then you realize you weren't as important to them as you thought. You just have to get over it and move on. Otherwise it will destroy your self esteem if you can't let it go.

Edit: If it helps in a socionics way think of the thing being provided as Ni or Fe, for example.

Edit2: I think in some cases we overestimate our importance to other people and in other cases we underestimate our importance. It is all in the mind either way and may not even match up to the reality of other people. In a way what I am describing is more of a subtle ego hit that I might not even notice doing to someone else until something clicks in my head. People are complicated creatures. :/
    Last edited by Aylen; 04-28-2017 at 07:24 PM.

“My typology is . . . not in any sense to stick labels on people at first sight. It is not a physiognomy and not an anthropological system, but a critical psychology dealing with the organization and delimitation of psychic processes that can be shown to be typical.”​ —C.G. Jung

YWIMW

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

it's only when survival is at stake that you can take this kind of hit without replying, otherwise you'll normally tell the other person that no, your version of reality is the right one.
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

TIM
    ILE
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Aylen View Post
    An ego hit can be something like, what you thought was a close friend deprioritizing you in favor of others. You become irrelevant to them when you thought you were somewhat relevant in specific ways. It seems they no longer value your input and go to others for the same kind of input they used to get from you, sometimes in front of you, like you aren't even there. Also watching them use the same tactics and language they used on you to coax certain responses from other people that you have already given and then they act like the other people are saying something they never heard before. It seems like they forgot you gave them the same kind of feedback or even worse they didn't trust or value what you had given. Then you realize you weren't as important to them as you thought. You just have to get over it and move on. Otherwise it will destroy your self esteem if you can't let it go.
    ya, so when a person is using their ego and that neglect you if their ego is your vulnerable point. The sensation would be the same.

TIM
    ILE
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    it's only when survival is at stake that you can take this kind of hit without replying, otherwise you'll normally tell the other person that no, your version of reality is the right one.
    Its not necessary obvious, the sensation can be there without identification of the why. At least, that what I think.

TIM
    psyche 4w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    1005 Post(s)
    Tagged
    42 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tigerfadder View Post
    ya, so when a person is using their ego and that neglect you if their ego is your vulnerable point. The sensation would be the same.
    Hmm, I can think of a situation with an SLI doing something similar to me but in that case it kind of raised my fighting spirit more than saddened me. I think I became a bit more sarcastic and dismissive of them when I responded. The hit was more intense (shorter) than soul draining (long lasting) in that case.

“My typology is . . . not in any sense to stick labels on people at first sight. It is not a physiognomy and not an anthropological system, but a critical psychology dealing with the organization and delimitation of psychic processes that can be shown to be typical.”​ —C.G. Jung

YWIMW

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Its not necessary obvious, the sensation can be there without identification of the why. At least, that what I think.
    But won't you reply with what you think the "right" version of reality is and just override the other opinion?

TIM
    ILE
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

But won't you reply with what you think the "right" version of reality is and just override the other opinion?
    What if you get a ego-hit by comparing you wealth to the wealth of others? ;p

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What if you get a ego-hit by comparing you wealth to the wealth of others? ;p
    Wealth can't really be a socionics ego function?

TIM
    ILE
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wealth can't really be a socionics ego function?
    I got to the conclusion that a socionics ITR in model A is essentially based in "ego-hit" and not getting brused. In a similar way as when two people compare cars and which one is most blessed. But conflict does not really ego hit that hard and it is most often when done in the unconscious while dual does it conscious since they want the same stuff.