What's the purpose of SEI? Tallmo's Avatar
    TIM
    SEI
    Mentioned
    319 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by paranoid View Post
    they're generally cool, calm, and collected. for that reason, they're great in "extreme situations".
    I don't think that experience shows that SLI is good in extreme situations. Is this statement inspired by MBTI? Anyway, Si base is pretty useless in extreme situations, so wouldn't trust a SLI then. I've looked a little into people who go into extreme situations and I would say that certain SLEs and LSI are very good here. Also SEE, if it's more on the social side. Also some NT types can be good in extreme situations when cold novel thinking is needed.
    The decisive thing is not the reality of the object, but the reality of the subjective factor, i.e. the primordial images, which in their totality represent a psychic mirror-world. It is a mirror, however, with the peculiar capacity of representing the present contents of consciousness not in their known and customary form but in a certain sense sub specie aeternitatis, somewhat as a million-year old consciousness might see them.

(Jung on Si)

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tallmo View Post
    I don't think that experience shows that SLI is good in extreme situations. Is this statement inspired by MBTI? Anyway, Si base is pretty useless in extreme situations, so wouldn't trust a SLI then. I've looked a little into people who go into extreme situations and I would say that certain SLEs and LSI are very good here. Also SEE, if it's more on the social side. Also some NT types can be good in extreme situations when cold novel thinking is needed.
    no, it's not inspired by MBTI. I should've clarified. replace "extreme" with stressful. it's not a matter of tackling the situation head-on through sheer force of will and kicking down any and all obstacles with ease (exaggeration, of course). what I'm describing here is more psychological and internally-driven. so it's not what they can do to impact the situation itself, but rather an internal calmness that makes them sort of impervious to losing composure. they'll casually exit a situation if it's intense and doesn't yield any useful results, which is a strength in and of itself. it described a very specific kind of situation which rang true for what I've observed in the type. if I find it again, I'll post it here. it was very interesting.

this feels like a derail tho

What's the purpose of SEI? Tallmo's Avatar
    TIM
    SEI
    Mentioned
    319 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by paranoid View Post
    what I'm describing here is more psychological and internally-driven. so it's not what they can do to impact the situation itself, but rather an internal calmness that makes them sort of impervious to losing composure. they'll casually exit a situation if it's intense and doesn't yield any useful results, which is a strength in and of itself.

this feels like a derail tho
    Yes it's a derail, but all kinds of interesting stuff always jumps in the way. If you put it that way I totally agree with you and I think we both have a similar experience of SLI. But my reaction is that I find this very annoying and I see it as a weakness that they are unable to actually put their whole being into the situation and deal with it. Maybe they could, but they often fade away and escape responsibility. So this is from my alpha perspective...
    The decisive thing is not the reality of the object, but the reality of the subjective factor, i.e. the primordial images, which in their totality represent a psychic mirror-world. It is a mirror, however, with the peculiar capacity of representing the present contents of consciousness not in their known and customary form but in a certain sense sub specie aeternitatis, somewhat as a million-year old consciousness might see them.

(Jung on Si)