Thread: Delta Atheism

Hybrid View

TIM
    SLI
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not sure I understand why Delta Quadra wouldn't value what is true. Te is concerned with factual accuracy and that's a valued function of the Delta Quadra. In my view, the lack of evidence in favor of religion is sufficient to not believe. I do think that Deltas would likely also focus on the morality of it as well, especially the ethical types

TIM
    EII 9w1 so/sx
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by AbZero View Post
    I'm not sure I understand why Delta Quadra wouldn't value what is true. Te is concerned with factual accuracy and that's a valued function of the Delta Quadra. In my view, the lack of evidence in favor of religion is sufficient to not believe. I do think that Deltas would likely also focus on the morality of it as well, especially the ethical types
    Of course we value truth, but we value useful, knowable truth. I think we dislike endless debates over philosophical ideas, since we can't just bring in observable facts to win the debate. I agree that any individual religion lacks evidence/is inconsistent/cannot be literally true, but I don't think there is or can be any observable factual evidence in favor of or against the existence of God.

Totally agree about morality, I think that is one practical part of religion/the lack thereof that Deltas care about.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am pretty sure I am also an SLI and I completely agree with you. I would argue it makes very little sense for there to be a God and that is the reason I am athiest. No evidence or logical rationale for God.

TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

The key I think is that "god" is supposed to be the epitome of what is good, thus if we are unable to perceive a being with such properties in our lives or cannot believe the universe to be the creation of such a being, we may think along the lines of the famous argument attributed to Epicurus:

"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?
    Then he is not omnipotent.
    Is he able, but not willing?
    Then he is malevolent.
    Is he both able and willing?
    Then whence cometh evil?
    Is he neither able nor willing?
    Then why call him God?"

And consider also the Euthyphro dilemma (in Plato's Euthyphro dialogue - although Plato himself may not have been Delta!): "Is the pious loved by the gods because it is pious, or is it pious because it is loved by the gods?"

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Morality is love
    -
    Dual type (as per tcaudilllg)
    Enneagram 5 (wings either 4 or 6)?

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Best description of functions:
    http://socionicsstudy.blogspot.com/2...functions.html

Mentioned
    159 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Maritsa View Post
    Shrek is love
    Fixed that for you.

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Alioth View Post
    Fixed that for you.
    Hehehe
    -
    Dual type (as per tcaudilllg)
    Enneagram 5 (wings either 4 or 6)?

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Best description of functions:
    http://socionicsstudy.blogspot.com/2...functions.html