Thread: Movie Reviews

Hybrid View

Banned
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Chae View Post
    Yeah, the 3.5 behind the 5. I feel the same. It's the Ryan Gosling curse, when he plays the lead you know that the movie has an ending bound to make you dissatisfied and puzzled. He's a strong actor but he seems to attract these types of (often senselessly violent) screenplays that overshadow his skills with how they leave us guessing. The end determines how we remember everything, it's distracting from the otherwise excellent visuals, all that. It definitely has parallels to Matrix, that showed in the original already which I found decent and revolutionary for its time at least. Needs a sequel for sure With more independent and central female characters in power positions, please. Blade Runner is a man's world and the concept needs to expand for real now. Overall... Not a film to watch twice I find, it impresses once and then you move on, I reclined watching it on DVD. I'll check the score instead, that one was completely majestic.
    ahh..the police chief? Luv? powerful female characters in power positions? also who cares if its mans world, i ve seen enough affirmative action in film for a time. ive watched both blade runners like dozens of times now.

and his death wasn't distracting at all. it was part of the epilogue, not the climatic action. i wasn't distracted in the least, i was engrossed in every second up until that point, probably because im an in the moment kind of guy.

TIM
    ExFx 3 sx
    Mentioned
    720 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by whodat View Post
    ahh..the police chief? Luv? powerful female characters in power positions? also who cares if its mans world, i ve seen enough affirmative action in film for a time. ive watched both blade runners like dozens of times now.

and his death wasn't distracting at all. it was part of the epilogue, not the climatic action. i wasn't distracted in the least, i was engrossed in every second up until that point, probably because im an in the moment kind of guy.
    Good for your standards. Not mine, those are gayer, ya dig.

Banned
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Chae View Post
    Good for your standards. Not mine, those are gayer, ya dig.
    huh

TIM
    ExFx 3 sx
    Mentioned
    720 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Spiderman Homecoming - 3/5

It was an enjoyable watch. My dad commented: "Refreshing" and I agree. It messed with plenty of Hollywood stereotypes* and picked up a lot of Tony Stark's story, made Peter do the right things for himself even through failure. Visuals were good, music not outstanding but okay, cameos nicely placed, plot wasn't too intricate or unpredictable. Overall good movie to see, but nothing that stays in mind for too long. It would've needed to open up much bigger societal dilemmas like Civil War did for instance, that was memorable to me. It would have been good not to carry on with their idea of superheroes making things worse than they already are and why they're needed, but I got where they were coming from.

*which are:

- the villain is not from some far-away place: family feud!
    - choosing a different camera format for the beginning to introduce Peter as a technophile: innovative!
    - Peter acting against all arrogance that he could have: admirable!
    - portraying the proletarians as good: Marxist!
    - not understanding your gear: realistic!
    - very capable and important side characters who carry the movie well: teamwork!
    - humble Spiderman who surpasses Iron Man's ethics: role model!
    - having a very lithe and petite protagonist who looks delicate: sexy!
    - hacking a suit because of unfair and condescending treatment: justice!
    - no romance at the end because they both have important stuff to do: pragmatic!
    - knocking over a lot of things: relatable!
    - having plenty of PoC and Asian characters: representation!
    - protagonist misses out on literally everything: new!
    - personal hygiene is mentioned: accurate!
    - adults aren't superior and err in their advice, even have to bear the consequences for dismissing youngsters: empowering!
    - lots of random wit from the protagonist: 3D and authentic!
    - mentor trope ruined: interesting!
    - roasting people who say "ohh you're a teen, I know how your body changes..." senselessly: youth-conscious!
    - ruined sappy movie kiss: finally!
    - condemning slavery: strong statement!
    - ruining a Mercedes for the anti-bourgeoise revenge against penis jokes: revolutionary!
    - letting characters be disappointed with no way out: emotionally accurate!