Quote Originally Posted by Adam Strange View Post
I agree with all of your points about the economy and who is running it, but I think Trump will only make things worst. He promised to "drain the swamp", but immediately broke that promise when he appointed both billionaires and Washington insiders to his cabinet. He seems uninterested in intelligence briefings or in policy or in the rule of law. Remember his "You'd be in jail." comment to Hillary?

Many people voted for George Bush because he was the kind of guy they'd like to have a beer with. One of their own. What they got was a government of rich thieves who started two wars, deregulated the banks so they could steal faster and left America with the tab, and incompetent political appointees who gave us the response to Katrina.

When you elect people who hate the government, would you expect them to make government work better?

What most people who vote for these guys, whom they relate to and think will do right by them, fail to understand about them is that they don't want to have a beer with us.
Unfortunately I think Trump and destruction is what a segment of the population wants. I don't think the people who vote for Trump are stupid, my brother's in laws voted for Trump and they're far from that. But there is a existential nihilism they have which fuels them which comes from their upbringing and entitlement. They have the power and the privilege in society or at least this is something they feel, but they're also on the way out in the firmest sense.

I think Nietzsche spoke about these psychological forces with great insightful although incomplete in many ways. He spoke of passive vs active nihilism and in a great sense nihilism is the force at play today, both passive and active. There is a goal to this nihilistic intent and that is destruction. Unfortunately much of what could resists the current movements is besot by a force of passive nihilism, and much of what steers these movements is driven by an representative of active nihilism. The tragedy of the situation is that passive nihilism will not be able to resist the forces of active nihilism, and perhaps only a contest of will, a contest of destructive forces can this dynamic be resolved.

The other dynamic at play is that many of the individuals who voted for trump are driven more so by passive nihilism, as they wait for their own inevitable doom, they're too weary to truly destroy so they choose a proxy. And the object of their destruction is their children and descendents, much like Greek god Chronos eating his young, much like time eats at them.