Thread: USA politics following Trump's election

Hybrid View

Mentioned
    264 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't support Trump, but neither do I support the "establishment" and basically all the mainstream US media. There is all sorts of corruption and nonsense and the economy is in shambles and Trump somehow senses this intuitively from his experience as a businessman. The politics is in the hands of Wallstreet and neo-cons and military-industrial complex. We all know that the US is basically fucked. Trump probably knows it too. I guess he wants to at least try to turn it all around.

TIM
    ENTJ-1Te 8w7 sx/so
    Mentioned
    1603 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Singularity View Post
    I don't support Trump, but neither do I support the "establishment" and basically all the mainstream US media. There is all sorts of corruption and nonsense and the economy is in shambles and Trump somehow senses this intuitively from his experience as a businessman. The politics is in the hands of Wallstreet and neo-cons and military-industrial complex. We all know that the US is basically fucked. Trump probably knows it too. I guess he wants to at least try to turn it all around.
    I agree with all of your points about the economy and who is running it, but I think Trump will only make things worst. He promised to "drain the swamp", but immediately broke that promise when he appointed both billionaires and Washington insiders to his cabinet. He seems uninterested in intelligence briefings or in policy or in the rule of law. Remember his "You'd be in jail." comment to Hillary?

Many people voted for George Bush because he was the kind of guy they'd like to have a beer with. One of their own. What they got was a government of rich thieves who started two wars, deregulated the banks so they could steal faster and left America with the tab, and incompetent political appointees who gave us the response to Katrina.

When you elect people who hate the government, would you expect them to make government work better?

What most people who vote for these guys, whom they relate to and think will do right by them, fail to understand about them is that they don't want to have a beer with us.

Mentioned
    224 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm just amused at the amazing support for a vagina grabber by so many of the people whinging ZOMG Muslim refugee youth in Germany touching women's butts. EURABIA END OF WESTERN CIVILIZATION!!11!1!

Be that as may, I despise the United States and want to see it destroyed, and my only regret is that both candidates couldn't somehow win.

Mentioned
    760 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by xerx View Post
    I despise the United States and want to see it destroyed
    I think you may get a lot of destruction but the United States won't disappear, it will probably just get worse and more malignant until a bigger person with a bigger stick stomps it down like so many other societies, or after great internal conflict it rises anew.

Conflict and destruction is inevitable, and a lot of it will occur and a lot of people will be lost in great tragedy. And in time people will lament America for it's greatness and its loss and rebuilt it elsewhere. Individually we are caught in the ebbs and flows of our times and there are few choices we can make to determine the course of the world around us. Do you only want destruction for hundreds of millions of people?

Mentioned
    224 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mu4 View Post
    I think you may get a lot of destruction but the United States won't disappear, it will probably just get worse and more malignant until a bigger person with a bigger stick stomps it down like so many other societies, or after great internal conflict it rises anew.

Conflict and destruction is inevitable, and a lot of it will occur and a lot of people will be lost in great tragedy. And in time people will lament America for it's greatness and its loss and rebuilt it elsewhere. Individually we are caught in the ebbs and flows of our times and there are few choices we can make to determine the course of the world around us. Do you only want destruction for hundreds of millions of people?
    I was actually just being sarcastic to convey the sentiment of "why can't they both lose," but in a sardonic way that's slightly less cliché.

I'm not actually a genocidal weirdo. :~

OTOH, eff America for burning my own country to the ground. So I'd be lying if I'd said there wasn't a tiny bit of opinion limbo going on here.

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    335 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by xerx View Post
    I was actually just being sarcastic to convey the sentiment of "why can't they both lose," but in a sardonic way that's slightly less cliché.

I'm not actually a genocidal weirdo. :~

OTOH, eff America for burning my own country to the ground. So I'd be lying if I'd said there wasn't a tiny bit of opinion limbo going on here.
    What country are you from?

Quote Originally Posted by Chae View Post
    Wow.

Mentioned
    760 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Strange View Post
    I agree with all of your points about the economy and who is running it, but I think Trump will only make things worst. He promised to "drain the swamp", but immediately broke that promise when he appointed both billionaires and Washington insiders to his cabinet. He seems uninterested in intelligence briefings or in policy or in the rule of law. Remember his "You'd be in jail." comment to Hillary?

Many people voted for George Bush because he was the kind of guy they'd like to have a beer with. One of their own. What they got was a government of rich thieves who started two wars, deregulated the banks so they could steal faster and left America with the tab, and incompetent political appointees who gave us the response to Katrina.

When you elect people who hate the government, would you expect them to make government work better?

What most people who vote for these guys, whom they relate to and think will do right by them, fail to understand about them is that they don't want to have a beer with us.
    Unfortunately I think Trump and destruction is what a segment of the population wants. I don't think the people who vote for Trump are stupid, my brother's in laws voted for Trump and they're far from that. But there is a existential nihilism they have which fuels them which comes from their upbringing and entitlement. They have the power and the privilege in society or at least this is something they feel, but they're also on the way out in the firmest sense.

I think Nietzsche spoke about these psychological forces with great insightful although incomplete in many ways. He spoke of passive vs active nihilism and in a great sense nihilism is the force at play today, both passive and active. There is a goal to this nihilistic intent and that is destruction. Unfortunately much of what could resists the current movements is besot by a force of passive nihilism, and much of what steers these movements is driven by an representative of active nihilism. The tragedy of the situation is that passive nihilism will not be able to resist the forces of active nihilism, and perhaps only a contest of will, a contest of destructive forces can this dynamic be resolved.

The other dynamic at play is that many of the individuals who voted for trump are driven more so by passive nihilism, as they wait for their own inevitable doom, they're too weary to truly destroy so they choose a proxy. And the object of their destruction is their children and descendents, much like Greek god Chronos eating his young, much like time eats at them.