Thread: USA politics following Trump's election

Hybrid View

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I guess...I guess I understand in a way that they're afraid. What I don't understand is how they can be willing to assuage their fear by doing something that seems, to me at least, to be a step in such a potentially dark direction. I guess as someone w an interest in the Holocaust, and having read a lot about ******'s rise to power, I am seeing parallels (as many people are) and feeling very worried about them.

Hmm... using Japanese internment camps as a precedent to excuse possibly highly unethical actions just caught me off-guard. I'm surprised the guy is so open about it, even. It's like he really doesn't see what's wrong w it.
    "In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is." - Yogi Berra

Mentioned
    760 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SongOfSapphire View Post
    I guess...I guess I understand in a way that they're afraid. What I don't understand is how they can be willing to assuage their fear by doing something that seems, to me at least, to be a step in such a potentially dark direction. I guess as someone w an interest in the Holocaust, and having read a lot about ******'s rise to power, I am seeing parallels (as many people are) and feeling very worried about them.

Hmm... using Japanese internment camps as a precedent to excuse possibly highly unethical actions just caught me off-guard. I'm surprised the guy is so open about it, even. It's like he really doesn't see what's wrong w it.
    Humanity's heart is often filled with brutality and stupidity, they blame others without taking responsibility. It's natural to blame because we've all at one time or another been harmed by others.

This election is about blaming whatever group is convenient for our collective problems while taking no action or responsibility to change ourselves. The Bernie or bust people blamed the DNC while they sat back and did nothing to stop Trump. The Republicans blamed Muslims, democrats, Obama, whomever for their policies which created many of the problems that they want others to take blame for.

The democrats need to change too in this loss they are the only people apologizing for failing to win and taking even a modicum of responsibility. I envision the Democratic Party will change with a renewed focus on the working class and middle class, the Democrats failed to reach the people they needed to reach.

It's ok to blame and often this blame is legitimate to a certain extent, but there is always a price for not taking responsibility for yourself and your role in society. If the young adults refuse to accept responsibility for their futures, then there will be consequences, if the Republicans refuse to accept responsibilities for their failed policies, then there will be consequences, if the Democrats do not change into a party that can appeal to the working class and middle class, then there will be consequences.

I fear for disenfranchised minorities because their oppression will only grow more onerous. I fear for the disenfranchised whites because there is no greatness at the end of this journey, just a cliff. People can blame all they want, but if people don't take responsibility for their own actions and non-actions, there will be consequences.

it's ok, everything will be fine totalize's Avatar
    TIM
    NAPOLEON
    Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

It's ok to blame people when it's actually their fault.
    CETERUM AUTEM CENSEO WASHINGTON D.C. ESSE DELENDAM

Mentioned
    760 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by totalize View Post
    It's ok to blame people when it's actually their fault.
    Blame is a emotional expression of frustration and it can be legitimate and useful in venting the many pains one might feel. But the solving of problems require people to take responsibility for the change you wish to see.

As an emotional expression, it is legitimate if it's sincere. Sometimes people can make mistakes blaming people that are innocent.

It doesn't excuse apathy, violence, sabotage, it doesn't justify trying to setup internment camps for Muslims or forcing them to register in "special registration" programs, it is not a excuse to stay the same and not change to face the changing world, it does not excuse snobbish elitism, it does not excuse to ignore the white working class, it is not a excuse to ignore racial profiling.

The harder the challenge, the easier it is to blame and the harder it is to change, organize and solve problems, it's easy to give up, it's easy to stick your head in the sand.