TMI
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Default Socionics types and Music Preference

For reference:
    http://www.wikisocion.net/en/index.php?title=Music

I cannot remember if I posted on this topic before.

Based on my observations of rateyourmusic users taste in music and what they scored on personality tests (these are recollections from a long time ago):

-dominants: interested in short, punchy music, perhaps songs that are about two minutes long.
    Genres such as Punk Rock (The Sex Pistols, The Buzzcocks, The Ramones, Wire, Minutemen, Dead Kennedys, Hüsker Dü etc.), Power Pop (Green Day, Supergrass, Weezer etc.). The Pixies would be a good example of an artist they would like with short tracks (perhaps ILEs would prefer this).
    Might enjoy music like Ween, Tom Waits, Captain Beefheart, Frank Zappa etc.
    Possibly also Post-Punk/New Wave artists like Devo, Gang of Four, The Clash, Talking Heads (the first two mentioned may be more ILE-like).
    ILEs might be more inclined than IEEs to like Hard Rock such as Led Zeppelin, The Who, Black Sabbath, and Queen. IEEs would probably be more inclined towards Twee Pop and Chamber Pop (e.g. Belle and Sebastian, Sufjan Stevens, Andrew Bird, Tindersticks, The Divine Comedy... ILEs might be more inclined to like stuff like Of Montreal and The Shins (this is more of a guess on my part).
    Some forms of Art Rock may be preferred more by -types than -types (and perhaps it is more -like, in a similar way to how Post-Rock may be more -like). Television and Brian Eno's Art Rock albums (Here Come the Warm Jets, Taking Tiger Mountain (By Strategy), Another Green World, and Before and After Science, especially) may be examples
    Hip Hop and/or Plunderphonics artists such as Wu-Tang Clan, Madvillain, Dr. Octagon, DJ Shadow, The Avalanches, Girl Talk etc..

-dominants: more inclined to be interested in Latin Rock (e.g. Santana, Os Mutantes etc.), some forms of Psychedelic Rock (e.g. The Grateful Dead) and Acid Rock (e.g. Jimi Hendrix), Reggae, some forms of Jazz, "fusion" music. Some forms of Hard Rock, like AC/DC.
    Perhaps Singer/Songwriter artists in general, and perhaps the various forms of Folk, as well as Lo-Fi music (such as Pavement, Modest Mouse, Neutral Milk Hotel, Beach House, Ty Segall, Elliott Smith etc.).
    May like Glam Rock artists such as T. Rex, Mott the Hoople, Roxy Music, Suede etc. (some such artists like Sparks and The New York Dolls maybe also: I'm not sure if they would suit the -mood, or if they were perhaps be better suited for -dominants for example).
    May like Art Pop artists such as Björk, Kate Bush, Tori Amos, Sufjan Stevens, Róisín Murphy, Bat for Lashes etc.
    Perhaps also Downtempo/Trip hop music, especially AIR, Goldfrapp, Gorillaz, Portishead, Massive Attack, Moby.
    Possibly some Prog Rock bands like Jethro Tull, Camel, Caravan, Renaissance, Yes.
    I am uncertain if -types would be especially inclined to Ambient music, but I think there is a possibility.

-dominants: Prog Rock (particularly Genesis, King Crimson, the applicable Pink Floyd albums (i.e. especially Ummagumma, Meddle, Atom Heart Mother, and Wish You Were Here. (Everybody likes The Dark Side of The Moon.), Yes, Rush, Porcupine Tree etc.).
    Math Rock
    Concept albums in general.

-dominants: more inclined to listen to Post Rock (Godspeed You Black Emperor!, Sigur Rós, Mogwai, Thee Silver Mt. Zion Memorial Orchestra etc.), Ambient, and Drone music, and similar dirge-like music.
    The Shoegaze genre.
    "Dark wave" artists such as Dead Can Dance.
    Techno artists like Aphex Twin and Autechre.
    Perhaps the Electronic genre in general.
    May like Downtempo/Trip hop music.
    I'm inclined to think Noise Rock (e.g. Sonic Youth) may be -like, although -types may also be inclined to like it.

-dominants: Queen may be a prime example (although it has been argued in the past that their music overall is indicative of an Alpha-vibe). An example of a Beta NF narrator/performer would be The Smiths/Morrissey

ST types: Metal music. Beta ST types may like metal that is more ominous such as death metal and similar variants.
    Delta ST types Possibly artists that fit into the "Heartland Rock" genre (a genre of rock music that is exemplified by the commercial success of singer-songwriters Bruce Springsteen, Bob Seger, Tom Petty, and John Mellencamp).
    EF types: Pop in general. Singles rather than albums.
    NF types: Gothic Rock such as The Cure and The Sisters of Mercy. Perhaps Synthpop artists such as Depeche Mode, New Order, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark etc.
    EP types: Hip Hop artists such as Wu-Tang Clan, DJ Shadow, Kanye West etc.

"F"-types in general: more inclined to listen to music by female artists, as a crude rule.

Alpha quadra: Classic Rock bands in general. (i.e. The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, Led Zeppelin, The Who, The Beach Boys etc.)
    Beta quadra: Seem more inclined to what some might consider "dark" and/or angsty music and lyrics. Band such as Opeth, Tool, My Bloody Valentine, System of a Down etc.

I seem to have a notable blindspot when it comes to -music. Possibly artists such as Iggy Pop, Blondie, and The Pixies would appeal, as well as some artists with bawdy humour or style that I have already mentioned under (e.g. Ween, Tom Waits, Captain Beefheart), and Hip Hop artists like Kanye West.

(May be updated over time).

Others can of course post their own thoughts.