Thread: common stereotypes about Si (introverted sensing)

Threaded View

Banned
    TIM
    /
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ananke View Post
    So I agree with inumbra, Si is generally quite poorly described and the descriptions too often deal with common, yet indirect, resulting traits of the function, rather than describing how the function really works.
    yes.

i didn't watch much of the adam curtis video. i can't focus on it. my mind is in an awful haze. below involves putting this together based on your post, and i guess i'm looking to see if you think my translation matches what you meant to begin with.

i have to agree the video (from the little i saw) seems to be covering the aspect of reality (and in a way that matches *with* the socionics type descriptions, even... not sure yet why i am disturbed by that), as it seems to be looking at the feel of existence in terms of present experience, how it passes in the long moment-to-moment, day-to-day life (the Si stream, re: @Expat). or along the prescribed path of a lifestyle and its significant um points--things like rites of passage, getting married, raising kids, whatever. the board game 'life' is an example really.

naturally this "life" isn't fixed as over the course of it the society will change (before modernity, perhaps more gradually), and the people must adapt and adjust their practices accordingly. but still it is kind of one path, with adjusting all the typically prescribed things along with it. the focus is on the nuts-and-bolts of the days--maintenance really, which is why Si gets associated with routines (which basically serve as maintenance tools/programs you can run out of habit). the themes of "preserving a way of life" or "honoring traditions" etc. would then be quite in line with this (and really they are in myers-briggs Si afaik).

of course there are concerns/thoughts of the future, along the prescribed path(s); looking out for the future of the culture/people/way-of-life or recognizing things coming down the pipeline which may alter it; being able to predict where the day-to-day will go in the future. the wisdom of predictions tends to be inside the one way of life (what we have always done and how it changed when the woolly mammoth population began dwindling year by year). Si ego would then be the maintainers of the day-to-day-way-of-life or the manager of changes to it, or the ones who warn of coming changes within it, from within or from without. they "care" for it/tend it (are always keeping touch with it). this could also mean they act as masters of it (in charge of it).

eta: to elaborate about predictions, it's mainly that one is always on at least one road, and most humans can see the predictable basic destination points. and i kind of like the "tangible timeline" idea.

the ending of the film 'the last lions' : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xus_Ky4aTPU (go to 1:16:00 ish). i can feel the sadness of extinction in ‘the last lions’: it is about an episode in the life of one lion, her losses and what she had to overcome (her *plight*) against the backdrop of the end of her entire species (the plight of african lions). the creators of the film have spent most of their lives observing african big cats. they’ve watched how lion “society” has deteriorated over the years in response to human activity, right down to unraveling of the pride structure (which they’ve described in at least one of their other films). 'the last lions' btw contains more anthropomorphism than most of their other films as it's an appeal to the viewer. it plays out a bit like a fictional drama with almost this mythological quality to it.
    does that match, @Ananke?

i don't think that what @Ananke is saying and what @Myst saying is quite as different as it seemed at the end of discussion (well, in this one way only actually). and i guess the issue i have is that this same day-to-day nuts and bolts person will be the same person whose face you see in the Si type descriptions. it’s just looking at that face from a different vantage. because with this focus, they'll have large concentrated energies put into some kind of actual tangible management of their existence. they are the keepers of the way-of-life, so most of them would *have to*. for some, perhaps it would be maintaining order in the living environment; for others it might be innovating new crafty things to help the general lifestyle (like combining different foods in ways that will satisfy the needs of 'the people'); for others it might be keeping people comfortable and happy... the 'couch potato' could be a modern iteration lol. (but that is also a joke!)

i don't feel a connection or relation to this exactly. i almost feel like this might all be according to PoLR, but i am not your shadow. or something. or i am simply an unimpressive person.

oh, but either way, ~ = constant awareness of bodily sensations~ is still bad (imo).

eta: i'm confused again. this whole thread is full of my confusion.
    Last edited by marooned; 09-18-2016 at 11:31 PM.