Quote Originally Posted by lemontrees View Post
I guess it struck me as sensing b/c I'm not really good at doing things in general. I.e.: am bad at lots of stereotypical office tasks--saying I've sent an email with an attachment but not attaching; not remembering the names of rooms; not knowing where something is after going three times, and giving the complete wrong location when another person asks.
I am very prone to making those sorts of errors as well. There are often logistical type things I overlook or don't realize their importance at the time.

But cleaning a room, for instance, is easy-- I can just "power through." Strong sensing making up for not having an efficient "strategy". I might still be faster than someone w/ a strategy just b/c I'm fast.
I'm like that too with cleaning. Or with filing. I work in a library and I've been known to be one of the most accurate and efficient shelvers. Yet put me in a 'crisis' situation or have me execute some unfamiliar task and watch me falter.

I think a lot of behavior can be handled through diff IM, so maybe these examples aren't useful. For instance, I can see a spacey N person doing what I mentioned above. When I think of people w/ strong Te, it's like... they can understand w/o it being spelled out what the underlying goal of an activity is, or what matters (?) When I do an assignment I have to read the instruction like seven times, b/c if I don't see a step I can just forget it, and sometimes that step was important. But Te people sort of can extrapolate or the process makes a bigger map in their heads as they read, so they don't forget the important thing.
How good I am with instructions depends on how familiar I am with the sort of task the situation demands. The more familiarity and prior experience I have, the better my ability to extrapolate. I think most people are like this so it's not completely type related. I think strong Te is more confident though doing the extrapolation you describe. For example when learning new computer software, I typically just jump right in and 'play' with it. I've used enough different kinds of software to generally get the feel of how they work and how to navigate through the menus. I can see the patterns between the different types. When assembling something, I'm much more inclined to read through instructions. I don't assemble that many things and my mechanical/spatial sense isn't as strong.