Thread: common stereotypes about Si (introverted sensing)

Hybrid View

TIM
    / / /
    Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't know... your posts in this thread sound so impressively intuitive. It's all... ideas about Si.

Si for me: today my client was asking me to make a web layout where thumbnail images would be top aligned. But she also referenced a site where thumbnails had varied heights and widths (which would look weird if it was all top-aligned) and she was worried that the white space under the top-aligned images would be oddly distributed. So what I think what she might like is varied proportion thumbnails that are center-aligned, vertically. My solution doesn't meet all her requirements, but I'm confident that it's actually integrating the things she likes out of the conflicting layouts she suggested.

The other week I was cooking with a friend. I went into autopilot. While I was cutting carrots I knew that the pork was already cooking in the pot and I went to stir at the right time. Then I washed the board while checking up on carrots. It was like he wasn't even there, I had to find things for him to do.

He wanted to make spiced rice with raisins and asked whether to put in the raisins during or after. I've never made anything with raisins but I knew if they were put in during they would be plump and more of the flavor would seep into the rice, whereas if you put it in after they are not integrated but drier, and while both work I just said "during." He asked me whether to put in the rice right away or later, and I knew that putting it in right away would be fine since the rice cooker would keep it warm, but it might become drier, so I made the decision "in thirty min". All of this was 5-second decisions.

^See how boring that all was? Si.

TIM
    9w8
    Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by lemontrees View Post
    I don't know... your posts in this thread sound so impressively intuitive. It's all... ideas about Si.

Si for me: today my client was asking me to make a web layout where thumbnail images would be top aligned. But she also referenced a site where thumbnails had varied heights and widths (which would look weird if it was all top-aligned) and she was worried that the white space under the top-aligned images would be oddly distributed. So what I think what she might like is varied proportion thumbnails that are center-aligned, vertically. My solution doesn't meet all her requirements, but I'm confident that it's actually integrating the things she likes out of the conflicting layouts she suggested.

The other week I was cooking with a friend. I went into autopilot. While I was cutting carrots I knew that the pork was already cooking in the pot and I went to stir at the right time. Then I washed the board while checking up on carrots. It was like he wasn't even there, I had to find things for him to do.

He wanted to make spiced rice with raisins and asked whether to put in the raisins during or after. I've never made anything with raisins but I knew if they were put in during they would be plump and more of the flavor would seep into the rice, whereas if you put it in after they are not integrated but drier, and while both work I just said "during." He asked me whether to put in the rice right away or later, and I knew that putting it in right away would be fine since the rice cooker would keep it warm, but it might become drier, so I made the decision "in thirty min". All of this was 5-second decisions.

I see where this post is going. I do everything you describe..does that also make me an Si ego? Ie; cooking, paying attention to details, doing things without "thinking" - autopilot - myst's "sensory awareness".

TIM
    LSI-Se sx
    Mentioned
    510 Post(s)
    Tagged
    25 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by wacey View Post
    I see where this post is going. I do everything you describe..does that also make me an Si ego?
    Is this your main focus?

TIM
    9w8
    Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Myst View Post
    Is this your main focus?
    hmm, no probably not. Wait I'll say it for you: "then you are probably not Si base".

; )

TIM
    / / /
    Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by wacey View Post
    I see where this post is going. I do everything you describe..does that also make me an Si ego? Ie; cooking, paying attention to details, doing things without "thinking" - autopilot - myst's "sensory awareness".
    It's not logically being able to figure it out, but rather just being "seeped" in it. Also you just described the idea behind everything I did, whereas I was just describing the things.

TIM
    9w8
    Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's not logically being able to figure it out, but rather just being "seeped" in it. Also you just described the idea behind everything I did, whereas I was just describing the things.
    Why the sad face?

TIM
    ESI maybe
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh you mean Si is the meditative aspect of what you had described? Like the "autopilot" mode?
    Because the knowing raisins would be more plump and how long to cook them for, that does sound more Te-ish to me.
    Enneagram: 9w1 6w5 2w3 so/sx

TIM
    / / /
    Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Suz View Post
    Oh you mean Si is the meditative aspect of what you had described? Like the "autopilot" mode?
    Because the knowing raisins would be more plump and how long to cook them for, that does sound more Te-ish to me.
    I guess it struck me as sensing b/c I'm not really good at doing things in general. I.e.: am bad at lots of stereotypical office tasks--saying I've sent an email with an attachment but not attaching; not remembering the names of rooms; not knowing where something is after going three times, and giving the complete wrong location when another person asks.

But cleaning a room, for instance, is easy-- I can just "power through." Strong sensing making up for not having an efficient "strategy". I might still be faster than someone w/ a strategy just b/c I'm fast.

Raisin plumping up- that's more of a physical trait.

I think a lot of behavior can be handled through diff IM, so maybe these examples aren't useful. For instance, I can see a spacey N person doing what I mentioned above. When I think of people w/ strong Te, it's like... they can understand w/o it being spelled out what the underlying goal of an activity is, or what matters (?) When I do an assignment I have to read the instruction like seven times, b/c if I don't see a step I can just forget it, and sometimes that step was important. But Te people sort of can extrapolate or the process makes a bigger map in their heads as they read, so they don't forget the important thing.

TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    662 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Okay fair enough... but I still think Si is about a sense of inner comfort. Things like clothes and cooking are highly stereotypical and campy examples of 'comfort' - that aren't necessarily related to Si in the hyper intellectual and interesting way that you wish to receive it, yeah- but I think it's really just about liking to be 'at peace' with your own senses or something. Asston once talked about how he didn't like being comfortable. That was so silly to me... how could anybody NOT like being comfortable? But it was just Asston being Asston. From a socionics perspective, him being Si polr and saying that made sense.

TIM
    LII-Ne
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BulletsAndDoves View Post
    Okay fair enough... but I still think Si is about a sense of inner comfort. Things like clothes and cooking are highly stereotypical and campy examples of 'comfort' - that aren't necessarily related to Si in the hyper intellectual and interesting way that you wish to receive it, yeah- but I think it's really just about liking to be 'at peace' with your own senses or something. Asston once talked about how he didn't like being comfortable. That was so silly to me... how could anybody NOT like being comfortable? But it was just Asston being Asston. From a socionics perspective, him being Si polr and saying that made sense.
    I agree that Si is about a sense of inner comfort, and yes, it is more than just clothes or cooking. I suppose it's about bodily comfort on the whole. For me, comfort can be bodily comfort but it can also be every bit as much emotional comfort or mental comfort, which would tie into other socionics functions. When I say I want to be 'comfortable', it's not only physical, but mental and emotional as well. I define it as the desire for inner harmony, free from pain or distress of any sort. I've often been puzzled too by people who say they don't like to be comfortable. I don't think the vast majority of people truly enjoy being in any physical pain. When people say they don't like being 'comfortable' I think it can be interpreted in multiple ways. I read about an LIE who made such a statement and really what he meant was that he didn't like to 'relax' and just stagnate- he needed to always be moving towards some sort of goal and accomplishing things. He didn't see much point in indulging in any simple sensory pleasures and didn't strive towards bettering things in that area. I've heard others say things like pain makes them feel more alive. I suppose there is some sense in that. I don't think they really 'enjoy' the physical pain, but rather they pride themselves in being able to endure it, to feel strong, etc. I think about athletes in a race, you can literally run so hard you feel like you are going to pass out any second but you might be able to override those feelings of discomfort and keep pushing yourself to achieve some goal of winning.
    LII-Ne with strong EII tendencies, 6w7-9w1-3w4 so/sp/sx, INxP

TIM
    LII-Ne
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I guess it struck me as sensing b/c I'm not really good at doing things in general. I.e.: am bad at lots of stereotypical office tasks--saying I've sent an email with an attachment but not attaching; not remembering the names of rooms; not knowing where something is after going three times, and giving the complete wrong location when another person asks.
    I am very prone to making those sorts of errors as well. There are often logistical type things I overlook or don't realize their importance at the time.

But cleaning a room, for instance, is easy-- I can just "power through." Strong sensing making up for not having an efficient "strategy". I might still be faster than someone w/ a strategy just b/c I'm fast.
    I'm like that too with cleaning. Or with filing. I work in a library and I've been known to be one of the most accurate and efficient shelvers. Yet put me in a 'crisis' situation or have me execute some unfamiliar task and watch me falter.

I think a lot of behavior can be handled through diff IM, so maybe these examples aren't useful. For instance, I can see a spacey N person doing what I mentioned above. When I think of people w/ strong Te, it's like... they can understand w/o it being spelled out what the underlying goal of an activity is, or what matters (?) When I do an assignment I have to read the instruction like seven times, b/c if I don't see a step I can just forget it, and sometimes that step was important. But Te people sort of can extrapolate or the process makes a bigger map in their heads as they read, so they don't forget the important thing.
    How good I am with instructions depends on how familiar I am with the sort of task the situation demands. The more familiarity and prior experience I have, the better my ability to extrapolate. I think most people are like this so it's not completely type related. I think strong Te is more confident though doing the extrapolation you describe. For example when learning new computer software, I typically just jump right in and 'play' with it. I've used enough different kinds of software to generally get the feel of how they work and how to navigate through the menus. I can see the patterns between the different types. When assembling something, I'm much more inclined to read through instructions. I don't assemble that many things and my mechanical/spatial sense isn't as strong.
    LII-Ne with strong EII tendencies, 6w7-9w1-3w4 so/sp/sx, INxP

TIM
    ESI maybe
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

IDK...a lot of the cooking stuff here that you described sounds like Te to me....but i'm not a socionics expert or anything. My understanding could be off.
    Enneagram: 9w1 6w5 2w3 so/sx