Thread: Enneagram Type Six: Defender

Hybrid View

Mentioned
    244 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kim bell View Post
    How would you differentiate between a 6 and a sp 1? Both are anxious and worriers.
    1s arent anxious

TIM
    6w7 612
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

According to naranjo and Chestnut sp1s are big time worriers and deal with anxiety. That's why I was curious about what's makes their anxiety and worry different from 6s.

TIM
    psyche 4w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    1005 Post(s)
    Tagged
    42 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kim bell View Post
    According to naranjo and Chestnut sp1s are big time worriers and deal with anxiety. That's why I was curious about what's makes their anxiety and worry different from 6s.
    I would say 6's worries are often rooted in more guilt and and irrational fears (in my perception). I don't see this as much in 1s since their worries tend to center around perfection, rules, control or morality of some sort. I know it can be hard to distinguish when using terms like that so you really have to understand the fundamentals of the type if you are undecided, between two or more, before the instincts.

“My typology is . . . not in any sense to stick labels on people at first sight. It is not a physiognomy and not an anthropological system, but a critical psychology dealing with the organization and delimitation of psychic processes that can be shown to be typical.”​ —C.G. Jung

YWIMW

TIM
    INTp 5
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Aylen View Post
    I would say 6's worries are often rooted in more guilt and and irrational fears (in my perception). I don't see this as much in 1s since their worries tend to center around perfection, rules, control or morality of some sort. I know it can be hard to distinguish when using terms like that so you really have to understand the fundamentals of the type if you are undecided, between two or more, before the instincts.
    Associating "worrying" to any single type would be a mistake since it's a human emotion and thus applies to all neurotypical humans. In fact, the basis of enneagram is the core fears, which is essentially what each type worries most about. However, I agree that associating different kinds of worries with different types is important. Competency types tend to worry about competence things, for example. 1s are worried about imperfection in themselves and the world, usually in comparison to some moral or logical ideal; 3s are worried about their competence in certain areas with respect to their image/appearance; and 5s are worried about not knowing or understanding enough to face the outside world. A 6's worries are centred around guilt, like you said. However, this is also true of the other superego types (2 and 1). 2s worry when they aren't doing enough to help others around them and 1s feel guilty when they weren't as conscientious as they feel they should have been (the "should" is directly linked to their ideal, which makes type 1 the most ideological type, in my opinion).
    ----- FarDraft, 2020