Quote Originally Posted by lungs View Post
@Subteigh I'm curious about the difference b/w politics and actual issues. i assume you mean issues outside the context of whatever politician said this or that or proposed bills or w/e, but I'm not sure.
I mean that politicians are very here-today, gone-tomorrow people. Their parties are rather monolithically cumbersome. Politicians are always too focused on following the party line...or being engaged in infighting. They are too keen to points-score against rival parties, when it would be far more beneficial for everybody if they forgot party lines, and attempted to best represent their constituents' views.

That is not to say that individual politicians are not interesting, and are not well-meaning. I think generally, they are well-meaning.

When I think of the pantomime of politics (in the UK), I think especially of the House of Commons, but it extends into the media also. The hubris can be rather entertaining. However, in regards actual political issues, I think we are well into the Age where things should be decided far more often by regular referenda, most obviously via digital means (there are naturally concerns about the security of such voting, as well as the issue of "voter burnout" from regular votes, as well as the "average" citizen not being anywhere near informed enough on some issues, but I think these should not be primary concerns). I also think the first-past-the-post system is archaic and not the best way of electing people who best represent the electorate's views.