Thread: open question: how do you feel about complaining?

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default open question: how do you feel about complaining?

I find some kinds of complaining much more tolerable than others. There's a kind of venting which everyone does and needs to do, basically, but in its sense of letting off steam, I don't see it as complaining at all.

I think the most agitating complaining is when people assume or act as if the very act of them speaking about something is an accomplishment, or they don't realize how they are doing the same things over and over again The gratification or indulgence factor, that's weird and feels inherently unhealthy to me.
    Posts I wrote in the past contain less nuance.
    If you're in this forum to learn something, be careful. Lots of misplaced toxicity.

~an extraverted consciousness is unable to believe in invisible forces.
    ~a certain mysterious power that may prove terribly fascinating to the extraverted man, for it touches his unconscious.

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Also feel like there is a general difference between how the quadras complain. Betas seem to complain or bitch about things or people in a particular attempt to try to change your mind, or state something for you to agree with or disagree with, and I find that rather frustrating - sometimes they even put things in such terms that your actual opinion is at odds with what they are trying to promote or get you to agree with, although its more so the unhealthier ones that do this. (and I'm sure delta has its own version of this that agitatates betas, see "deltas not talking about things that bother them" etc) . But when what I said happens, I have become accustomed to disregarding their whole narrative, and it frustrates them but I don't really care anymore.

Gammas on the other hand, seem particularly unconcerned about what you think, and much more interested in the sovereignty and the severity of everyone's opinions (democratic / aristocratic?) . Sure, some of them might try to make a case about something, but they seem on the whole less bound to bitching-as-influence. I feel a little bit like sometimes gammas (maybe with exception to LIEs) sometimes run off of their discontent or bitching, almost as if it was the mainstay of socializing, or, you have to complain to really get your point across. OH YEAH WHO SUCKS TODAY, etc. But this is less annoying by far than betas, as it is more so just.... expressing negative opinion about things or people with very little comparative guilting - it's more just a matter of how much or to what degree you might agree or disagree.

Alpha complainting seems so weird as they often appear veiled or constrained when they do it. Clearly not as "well versed" in the art of freely expressing hate or disgust as gammas, there's often an element of struggle, and even sometimes an uncomfortable feeling that it is MY problem that they are having to deal with something that bothers them - simply because I brought it up or am related to it.

Alpha and Beta somewhat tie for me in terms of the ineffectiveness of their complaints, in that Betas seem mostly concerned with convincing themselves or getting a group of people to have some sort of consensus (often without concern for accuracy, it feels), whereas Alphas seem more just inept or caught in some kind of complaining about how things are uncomfortable and things should 'just go away'. Gammas, on the other hand, seem entirely unable to get over some things or, perhaps more so, might over attribute one thing, even if it is true, and not be able to get beyond it or even conceive that such maneuverability is possible. A classic example that you will assuredly come across is the ESI who endlessly complains about a coworker or person in their life but does almost nothing to augment the situation, or the ILI who will simply be content with you being a terrible person forever and never inputting anything further into their perfect intuition of who you are.

Which of course, leaves us Delta. Overall, sure, the easiest to sort out. The STs sometimes bitch about things that could easily be solved with some extending from themselves and showing minimal degrees of diplomacy or benevolence, and the NFs have the inverted problems of being able to avoid so much stress just by being ok with telling people no or not feeling like a bad person because they don't give someone something. So I suppose it's not so much that deltas have less problems, but perhaps that the arena for their problems feels more sane than the other quadras.

On the whole, I don't think any quadra really has it better than the others here, but I think it's an interesting lens to look through to see what / why / how the nature of some forms of complaining can feel how it does.
    Posts I wrote in the past contain less nuance.
    If you're in this forum to learn something, be careful. Lots of misplaced toxicity.

~an extraverted consciousness is unable to believe in invisible forces.
    ~a certain mysterious power that may prove terribly fascinating to the extraverted man, for it touches his unconscious.

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Everyone complains. I complained a lot about the medical protocols in place when my dad needed to have his first amputation. Now that his second is nearing I hope that all my complaining would have made them reevaluate the urgency of a quick and speedy procedure.
    -
    Dual type (as per tcaudilllg)
    Enneagram 5 (wings either 4 or 6)?

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Best description of functions:
    http://socionicsstudy.blogspot.com/2...functions.html

TIM
    EII/INFj E9w1sp
    Mentioned
    148 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When I hear the word "complaining" I can't help but remember the verse "Do all things without complaining and disputing, that you may become blameless and harmless, children of God without fault in the midst of a crooked and perverse generation, among whom you shine as lights in the world." Which sounds like it appeals a bit to the holier-than-thou side of things, but I believe in context has more to do with being humble and caring for others. There's a lot of ugliness in the world, and justice and kindness and goodness is beautiful.

Anyway, I do think that keeping complaining and arguing to a minimum is best. Being able to say what you think and feel is good. Aptly expressing opinions and feelings is good. Art is good. Even letting steam off (in the right situation and to the right people) can be good. Taking a stand for what you believe is right is good. Communicating is good. Going on uselessly about what you don't like... meh. Lots of arguing... I don't actually like it.

It's not appealing in other people and it eventually makes me feel gross.

The kind of gray area for me personally is when I complain about how I'm physically feeling, particularly to people who've shown they might care. Like is it complaining or informing? Probably more the former, but I do it a bit anyway when I'm feeling uncomfortable...
    Oh, to find you in dreams - mixing prior, analog, and never-beens... facts slip and turn and change with little lucidity. except the strong, permeating reality of emotion.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It depends on the person and my closeness to her, I have a certain threshold for people I don't know very well. I lean easily towards negativity, so it puts me into a sour mood and I start feeling like something's wrong with the world. It has to do with taking the complaint at face value, which doesn't happen when I know the person because I see it more as the expression of feelings that I understand (instead of a statement about the world making me uncomfortable). Also, I can't stand people whining just to arouse feelings, it's one of the few things that can make me lose my temper.

Otherwise, I believe that people should do what they feel like doing and not force themselves to be positive when they are not. There's a ratio though, you should complain within reason or see a therapist.
    The gardener is but a dream of the garden.

Banned
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Probably a Merry/Serious related thing.

Merry wants to emotionally vent, do nothing to change it, and rationalize why they must endlessly vent while doing nothing.

Serious doesn't want to vent, wants to do something to change it instead, and gives their rationale behind their behaviors if questioned.

My complaining, which isn't even really complaining, is most likely to end with basically "*shoulder shrug* oh well, that's me."

TIM
    Ni-ENTj 8w9 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think it's a necessary part of processing the emotion and something that can be healthy for the mind, though it seems to he shunned by many. I've heard people apologising for not being happy while having relatives dying of cancer, which is absolute bullshit. You're allowed to not be happy all the time, and forced happiness is horrifying.

TIM
    LII-Ne
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Complaining should be outlawed. I really can't stand people who complain so much. Who do you think you are? Do you think people are going to listen to you? Why are you wasting your time? Why must you be so petty? So intolerant? So rude? Who cares that the shirt you like doesn't come in your favorite color? Who cares if I end if a sentence in a preposition or TYPE IN ALL CAPS. Everytime a person complains on here, they should get an infraction. 3 infractions and you're permanently banned.

I don't know about you but I feel better already.
    LII-Ne with strong EII tendencies, 6w7-9w1-3w4 so/sp/sx, INxP

TIM
    psyche 4w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    1005 Post(s)
    Tagged
    42 Thread(s)

I have never been much of a complainer about anything. I am practically pain intolerant but somehow I can smile and bear it it around other people. The main reason is I don't like to bring unwanted attention to myself.

I can become a bit whiny when sick but only around people I know care that I am sick. If I am complaining it is not just to hear myself talk. I think of the effects/affects it will have on others. I usually tolerate a lot of nonsense and try to lighten up a situation before I have had enough and complain about it.

Isn't beta supposed to be the quadra least likely to spoil other people's good time less likely to complain? Serious quadras seem more likely to complain about conditions or vent their own frustrations without thinking about the influence on other people's moods in group situations. Also beta value Se so more likely to take action to fix a problem than complain about it. I might get annoyed a little if people keep loading the dishwasher wrong but instead of harping on it I will rearrange it myself or just let it be. I can't focus energy on other people's mistakes. I have my own to deal with.

If you want to hear a real complainer, check this person out. lol I wonder what type he is. Too rigid and uptight compared to any beta I know. He uses humor but there is something very strange about it to me. Not that I didn't laugh a couple times.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCz7...GX6DNO1RNI2Fcg

“My typology is . . . not in any sense to stick labels on people at first sight. It is not a physiognomy and not an anthropological system, but a critical psychology dealing with the organization and delimitation of psychic processes that can be shown to be typical.”​ —C.G. Jung

YWIMW

TIM
    LII-Ne
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I would say the above videos are beta ST. Lots of logical Ti inconsistencies he points out but does it in a very forceful, aggressive manner.

I found them hilarious but found his use of the 'F word' quite excessive.
    LII-Ne with strong EII tendencies, 6w7-9w1-3w4 so/sp/sx, INxP

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Depends on how one is defining complaining. I see some in the thread go for more serious examples of people simply expressing their unhappiness that has been caused by dire circumstances. That is what it is, sometimes it's a genuine display of articulating distress and thus a means of minimizing one's egotistical concerns and confronting deeper needs. Sometimes it can be framed in a way that seems pity/attention seeking and thus I find that to be a bit much. I take complaining more along the lines of some self centered expression of aggrieved entitlement. For example: oh no, someone said or did something that offended me, now let me harangue everyone I know about how my fragile little ego couldn't take that. Petty ego shit. That shit leaves me filled with contempt. If it's more along the lines of complaining in the context of being in a job or being a consumer then it typically depends on how reasonable the complaints are, to what degree one's interests are being protected and so on.

Farewell, comrades Not A Communist Shill's Avatar
    TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

It destroys the Soul.

A Place within a Place in the Universe Where they will never suspect. *Cackles like a witch.*
    TIM
    EII H-Ne
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Life can be tough, and when things build up, it's natural to complain about things. It's often human nature to focus on what we don't have, what could be better, when things are not as they should be. And some focus on this significantly more than others. People should be able to let off steam sometimes. If complaining is all that comes out of someone's mouth though, I usually want to avoid those types of people.

I usually internalize on complaining, try to focus on the positive, but when all of those feelings build up, I get it out through creative pursuits such as artwork, or I tell a person who I trust. I myself don't want to be a prominent complainer who people avoid. People who constantly see the glass as half empty, and yeah, some people genuinely have a tough lot in life. But there gets to be a threshold when I don't know what to say to those types of people.
    xII se PoLR, 9w1-5w4-2w3 sp/so

Phlegmatic-Melancholic |RCoAI| Fascinator| Newtype-secondary| LEFVl|

#JusticeforJeb_, Water Sheep did nothing wrong, High Inquisitor Of Council of Water Sheep and Water Sheep's protector

Make things right? Who are we to decide when things are right and when they need to be fixed?

TIM
    all of them
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

it's kinda obnoxious attention seeking behavior if not immediately followed up by a plan to action
    forsitan mea potentia increvit nimis

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

I might not always be in the space for a response with empathy or gravity, but it doesn't bother me unless it's so constant + petty that the person seems spoiled (and that's rare to me, so maybe I have a high tolerance)

And maybe I could reasonably be perceived as a complainer, never thought about it, dunno. But I wouldn't be a beseeching, lazy type one.

TIM
    ILI
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's fine as long as the one who is complaining doesn't try to influence my own emotional state. Sometimes people need to show their negative emotions without being judged.
    I'm more critical with those who can't deal with that and expect a happy go lucky attitude all the time; Seems egoistical to me.

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I draw a big distinction between complainers and whiners. I've successfully worked with many who've had negative attitudes and always thought the worst of everything and everybody, but I tend to avoid and dismiss whiners whose main assertion seem to be "poor me".......

a.k.a. I/O

TIM
    psyche 4w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    1005 Post(s)
    Tagged
    42 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rebelondeck View Post
    I draw a big distinction between complainers and whiners. I've successfully worked with many who've had negative attitudes and always thought the worst of everything and everybody, but I tend to avoid and dismiss whiners whose main assertion seem to be "poor me".......

a.k.a. I/O
    So do I.

I have learned to complain more effectively in the past 5 years. It's great. I am sure amazon.com thinks I am the most polite complainer they have ever had the pleasure to help. I always get what I set out to achieve and sometimes more. A forum member taught me.

“My typology is . . . not in any sense to stick labels on people at first sight. It is not a physiognomy and not an anthropological system, but a critical psychology dealing with the organization and delimitation of psychic processes that can be shown to be typical.”​ —C.G. Jung

YWIMW

TIM
    EII typed by Gulenko
    Mentioned
    339 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I see complaining and whining as the same if it’s done in an entitled manner and if there’s no suggestions for any solutions that come up with it. The key is the complainer needs to be doing something proactive or have some kind of goal that includes the needs of others in a realistic way, otherwise it’s just useless whining, expecting others to fix problems for them.

Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Seems like a good thing to complain about. I’m glad you did.

Quote Originally Posted by Beautiful sky View Post
    Everyone complains. I complained a lot about the medical protocols in place when my dad needed to have his first amputation. Now that his second is nearing I hope that all my complaining would have made them reevaluate the urgency of a quick and speedy procedure.