View Poll Results: Do you believe in God?

Voters
89. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

37 41.57%
  • No

26 29.21%
  • I'm not sure.

13 14.61%
  • It doesn't matter

13 14.61%

Thread: Do you believe in God?

Hybrid View

TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy8419 View Post
    You can't question God, nor his existence, without already not believing in him. The blind belief that he doesn't exist is a precursor to all arguments against him.
    I disagree. If something is observed or merely be conjectured, it can be questioned by those who do not believe, or who have doubt. Any phenomenon that exists is capable of being observed, in the strict definition of the word.

However, god is defined as supernatural, which means that it is not capable of being observed. You cannot have your cake and eat it. Either an entity has a measurable and observable effect on existence, and is thus natural, or, it does not exist. Believing in a god is contrary to observation, and must necessarily cloud your judgement.

Further, believing that your deity is moral despite the doctrine of Damnation is absolutely contrary to all notions of Reasonableness. It is an act of sheer depravity to justify the doctrine of Damnation, and for example, to justify genocides committed in his name, as many have done.

People say that if you abandon belief in god, you are capable of great acts of evil. I think it is more true that if you belief in the righteousness of the doctrine of Damnation, you are capable of great acts of evil, and if the justification comes from the certainty of god's existence, then you are of the mindset where you have abandoned all reason and all notions of morality. If your ethics is determined by something that you cannot observe and which you are unwilling to appraise the appropriateness of the doctrine, then naturally, if you suddenly abandon belief in god, you truly are capable of great acts of evil, because you have never done your own reasoning and because treating others based on empirical notions of ethics will be utterly alien to you.

Banned
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The finite can exist within the infinite, but the infinite cannot exist within the finite. The human mind is a finite construct, with a finite speed and capacity for reason. For the human mind to attempt to reason the infinite, it must first reject it's own finite nature or the nature of the infinite, both of which are the evidence of it's own finite nature within the infinite, and both of which constitute insanity.

TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

The finite can exist within the infinite, but the infinite cannot exist within the finite. The human mind is a finite construct, with a finite speed and capacity for reason. For the human mind to attempt to reason the infinite, it must first reject it's own finite nature or the nature of the infinite, both of which are the evidence of it's own finite nature within the infinite, and both of which constitute insanity.
    There is nothing especially magically about the infinite, if it exists. Saying that the supernatural is beyond our comprehension and yet that it exists is just pure nonsense. It offers nothing. You have zero evidence. You only need a dictionary to know that the supernatural has no observable effect on the universe, and no amount of special pleading will change that.

If a powerful entity has any effect on reality, it is necessarily a lesser part of reality, subject to all the laws of nature, as with everything else. I would say it is for you to prove otherwise except it would be a stupid thing to say: any observation would necessarily be within the laws of nature, by definition.

Banned
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, your first sentence proved my point.

TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Well, your first sentence proved my point.
    No. Neither of us have proved your view that the supernatural exists. You have offered no physical evidence so far, and in any case, you can not do so.

All you have done is engaged in special pleading and empty rhetoric that disguises itself as an argument worthy of consideration, and hurled out ad hominems in an apparent effort to show that even if god does not exist, his followers are certainly capable of being from the same nasty nadir of humanity.

Banned
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I already logically proved it.

Also, pi.