View Poll Results: Do you believe in God?

Voters
89. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

37 41.57%
  • No

26 29.21%
  • I'm not sure.

13 14.61%
  • It doesn't matter

13 14.61%
Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Do you believe in God?

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Subteigh View Post
    I don't, but these are theoretically possible explanations.
    OK, so what you are really against is that which cannot be possible to be explained, is that correct?

TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by QuickTwist View Post
    I've noticed you do this before. You get caught up on dichotomies. I didn't "claim" anything. I proposed a hypothetical that you choose not to answer. You are aware that the laws of physics are subject to change correct? So then if something as stable as a law is up for scrutiny that means that your lesser logic (than those laws) are also under scrutiny. And I don't think I need to tell you that there is no law that disproves the existence of God. The laws of physics are constructs that are man made and are not at all the be all end all. And you can't make up your own dichotomies for these kinds of things, that's not how it works. I had a math professor once tell me "when you make up your own mathematical rules math becomes infinitely easier, but it doesn't mean you are right."

Your argument that something cannot be both inside and outside its existence is again the same problem we have talked about previously and the answer is, this time, there is no law that states that, it is only you saying that. So while it may be a reasonable argument, you cannot say that emphatically because there are things that likely transense a simple binary of one or another. You are not addressing that God in this case could very well be bigger than the creation and as such could do anything he wants with it. Think about it like this: a potter makes a pot on the wheel. he cuts his finger open and inserts some of his blood into the clay. He is now both apart of his creation and bigger than it. Same principle.
    Oh, I'm sorry. The claim comes from those who wish to claim that "god", the "supernatural" etc. are vague, woolly concepts, and somehow can be made to exist by having properties that are clearly contradictory. I do not consider it feasible to consider the supernatural as being capable of being observed inside this multiverse, and also being outside it. It very much seems like having cake and eating it.

The laws of physics in the true meaning of the phrase are not defined by man. They literally represent the properties of nature. In addition, no individual can make something defined as contrary to nature (in the scientific sense) be a phenomenon...an observable part of nature. Either god is an observable part of nature, or it does not exist. No one can provide any evidence of the supernatural, because it would be contrary to the definition of the supernatural.

If a potter puts some of his blood into his pot, nothing has changed. The potter, pot, and blood are still phenomena of the same environment, none is greater than the other in terms of existence.

potter + blood + clay ⇌ potter + blood and clay

...not "Infinity" > Infinity + Existence

TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

OK, so what you are really against is that which cannot be possible to be explained, is that correct?
    A hypothesis (an explanation) must be a possible explanation of observed phenomena. God does not work as a hypothesis, as there has been no observed phenomena, and the supernatural is not a possible explanation of observed phenomena.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh, I'm sorry. The claim comes from those who wish to claim that "god", the "supernatural" etc. are vague, woolly concepts, and somehow can be made to exist by having properties that are clearly contradictory. I do not consider it feasible to consider the supernatural as being capable of being observed inside this multiverse, and also being outside it. It very much seems like having cake and eating it.

The laws of physics in the true meaning of the phrase are not defined by man. They literally represent the properties of nature. In addition, no individual can make something defined as contrary to nature (in the scientific sense) be a phenomenon...an observable part of nature. Either god is an observable part of nature, or it does not exist. No one can provide any evidence of the supernatural, because it would be contrary to the definition of the supernatural.
    So you just don't like the idea that things can't be observed because if they could be observed then the would have quantifiable qualities?

I'm of the subjective opinion that there is actually no metric to measure the world accurately.. no one in nature is objective to nature because they are apart of nature. So while you can say the laws of physics are principles of nature, I find them to be just as mystic as the idea of God.

If a potter puts some of his blood into his pot, nothing has changed. The potter, pot, and blood are still phenomena of the same environment, none is greater than the other in terms of existence.

potter + blood + clay ⇌ potter + blood and clay

...not "Infinity" > Infinity + Existence
    I don't mean to be rude, but that's an awfully literal interpretation of what I was trying to get across.. You sure you're an iNtuitive?

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A hypothesis (an explanation) must be a possible explanation of observed phenomena. God does not work as a hypothesis, as there has been no observed phenomena, and the supernatural is not a possible explanation of observed phenomena.
    The thing is, supernatural is not necessarily synonymous with unexplainable..

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't think a hypothesis is the be all end all to give meaning to things.

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

So you just don't like the idea that things can't be observed because if they could be observed then the would have quantifiable qualities?

I'm of the subjective opinion that there is actually no metric to measure the world accurately.. no one in nature is objective to nature because they are apart of nature. So while you can say the laws of physics are principles of nature, I find them to be just as mystic as the idea of God.

I don't mean to be rude, but that's an awfully literal interpretation of what I was trying to get across.. You sure you're an iNtuitive?

S As in Sensory realist
    -
    Dual type (as per tcaudilllg)
    Enneagram 5 (wings either 4 or 6)?

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Best description of functions:
    http://socionicsstudy.blogspot.com/2...functions.html

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Maritsa View Post
    S As in Sensory realist
    Not understanding. Are you saying I am an S(ensor) and because I am I get As (good marks, grades) in sensory realism?

TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

My opinion on things that cannot be observable is irrelevant, as are such things. They have no meaning.

Apart from nature, or a part of nature?

The laws of nature are not mystical, they are by definition observable properties of existence.

I'm fairly sure, but I do not see how this is relevant to the discussion.

TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

The thing is, supernatural is not necessarily synonymous with unexplainable..
    I never said it was. The supernatural absolutely does not equate with "unexplainable": only things that are possible or are are capable of being attributed as (currently) unexplainable (I'm not sure we can definitively say something will forever be unexplainable). The supernatural cannot be unexplainable because it it isn't a possible explanation.

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

I believe in love. I think if God exists it's Love and we humans warp that in so any ways
    -

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I never said it was. The supernatural absolutely does not equate with "unexplainable": only things that are possible or are are capable of being attributed as (currently) unexplainable (I'm not sure we can definitively say something will forever be unexplainable). The supernatural cannot be unexplainable because it it isn't a possible explanation.
    Ok, but you are saying that its not possible because its not possible right now, doesn't mean it couldn't be possible later. But you already know that..
    I struggle with motivation, apathy and sticking to goals.

TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

I believe in love. I think if God exists it's Love and we humans warp that in so any ways
    You claim not to believe in hell, so you do not believe in the Abrahamic god. The Abrahamic god said you should fear it: it would be very odd to fear love.

TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Ok, but you are saying that its not possible because its not possible right now, doesn't mean it couldn't be possible later. But you already know that..
    The laws of existence do not suddenly decide to change on a Thursday. The supernatural will never be shown to have any meaningful effect on reality, as it is straightforwardly contrary to what we mean by concepts such as "supernatural", "natural" etc.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My opinion on things that cannot be observable is irrelevant, as are such things. They have no meaning.

Apart from nature, or a part of nature?

The laws of nature are not mystical, they are by definition observable properties of existence.
    Turning a blind eye to what could be observed later is not the best strategy, would you agree?

I meant a part of nature, meaning within, synonymous.

Observation is only as true as the senses of the observer, which are far from infallible for humans.

I'm fairly sure, but I do not see how this is relevant to the discussion.
    NVM

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The laws of existence do not suddenly decide to change on a Thursday. The supernatural will never be shown to have any meaningful effect on reality, as it is straightforwardly contrary to what we mean by concepts such as "supernatural", "natural" etc.
    For all we know, everything is supernatural.

TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

No, all observable phenomena are natural (by the scientific definition).

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Not the donut that I had this morning
    -

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am not interested in dichotomy, I know you would win that one. I am interested in concepts.

TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Turning a blind eye to what could be observed later is not the best strategy, would you agree?

I meant a part of nature, meaning within, synonymous.

Observation is only as true as the senses of the observer, which are far from infallible for humans.
    I do not turn a blind eye to anything. I use the scientific definition of observable ("Any physical property that can be observed and measured directly and not derived from other properties".

NVM
    you and Maritsa seem to be implying or saying that I am not "intuitive" because I narrowmindedly limit existence to what is possible, to what is observable. But I would say again that people such as yourselves limit the power of nature. I consider dreams, imagination, and the realm of fiction to be a part of nature, for example.

TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

I am not interested in dichotomy, I know you would win that one. I am interested in concepts.
    ok.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not the donut that I had this morning
    I'm guessing it was surreal.

TIM
    psyche 4w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    1005 Post(s)
    Tagged
    42 Thread(s)

Jesus endorses socionics, enneagram, etc...

(3) Jesus said, "If those who lead you say to you, 'See, the kingdom is in the sky,' then the birds of the sky will precede you. If they say to you, 'It is in the sea,' then the fish will precede you. Rather, the kingdom is inside of you, and it is outside of you. When you come to know yourselves, then you will become known, and you will realize that it is you who are the sons of the living father. But if you will not know yourselves, you dwell in poverty and it is you who are that poverty."
    He also suggests listening to yourself above others.

“My typology is . . . not in any sense to stick labels on people at first sight. It is not a physiognomy and not an anthropological system, but a critical psychology dealing with the organization and delimitation of psychic processes that can be shown to be typical.”​ —C.G. Jung

YWIMW

Honorary Ballsack
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

you and Maritsa seem to be implying or saying that I am not "intuitive" because I narrowmindedly limit existence to what is possible, to what is observable. But I would say again that people such as yourselves limit the power of nature. I consider dreams, imagination, and the realm of fiction to be a part of nature, for example.
    Many NTs are physicalists and place a very strong emphasis on the scientific method, and hence, what is observable.
    Important to note! People who share "indentical" socionics TIMs won't necessarily appear to be very similar, since they have have different backgrounds, experiences, capabilities, genetics, as well as different types in other typological systems (enneagram, instinctual variants, etc.) all of which also have a sway on compatibility and identification. Thus, Socionics type "identicals" won't necessarily be identical i.e. highly similar to each other, and not all people of "dual" types will seem interesting, attractive and appealing to each other.

TIM
    psyche 4w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    1005 Post(s)
    Tagged
    42 Thread(s)

I do not turn a blind eye to anything. I use the scientific definition of observable ("Any physical property that can be observed and measured directly and not derived from other properties".

I understand what you are saying but if you guys can't agree on the basic definitions, and how they could apply in either situation, you are probably not going to reach common ground other than agree to disagree. What is and isn't supernatural is a matter of opinion.

supernatural

[soo-per-nach-er-uh l, -nach-ruh l]
    Spell Syllables

See more synonyms on Thesaurus.com
    adjective1.of, relating to, or being above or beyond what is natural;unexplainable by natural law or phenomena; abnormal.

2.of, pertaining to, characteristic of, or attributed to God or a deity.

3.of a superlative degree; preternatural:a missile of supernatural speed.

4.of, relating to, or attributed to ghosts, goblins, or other unearthly beings; eerie; occult.

noun5. a being, place, object, occurrence, etc., considered as supernatural or of supernatural origin; that which is supernatural, or outside the natural order.

6.behavior supposedly caused by the intervention of supernatural beings.

7.direct influence or action of a deity on earthly affairs.

8.the supernatural.
    • supernatural beings, behavior, and occurrences collectively.
    • supernatural forces and the supernatural plane of existence:a deep fear of the supernatural.

Origin of supernatural
    Medieval Latin
    By definition some things of the imagination fall under the definition of "supernatural". You do not believe these things exist due to no observable phenomena. Other people may say these things exist and have observed them but unless you have direct experience you see no reason to believe them and everything in your world can be explained by the current laws of nature/science therefore not supernatural.

You guys are kind of arguing against each other's subjective understandings of terms, laws, etc.. and it is not going to end in changing minds. People who view believing in, or accepting, the supernatural is attributed to an intuitive understanding of the world will probably not see you as an intuitive. STs, Sfs, and NTs, can believe in god or other supernatural claims and they are supposed to have the weaker intuition (not NTs). I think feeling is the most dominant function for some people who believe or don't believe. They either feel it or they don't. Believing in anything is usually accompanied by great feeling that it is true or not.

I have no problem with you dismissing supernatural claims since you have shown understanding and consideration when I have stated my subjective understanding of what I have experienced as supernatural. Even if you are skeptical or find it silly. I see no reason why that would point away from you being EII as it is explicitly stated in the EII description that EII are more likely to outright dismiss such claims as silly, unless they pertain to a specific religion the EII follows. Intuition is not "all knowing" in anyone, except me.
    Last edited by Aylen; 04-21-2016 at 09:08 PM. Reason: correction

“My typology is . . . not in any sense to stick labels on people at first sight. It is not a physiognomy and not an anthropological system, but a critical psychology dealing with the organization and delimitation of psychic processes that can be shown to be typical.”​ —C.G. Jung

YWIMW

TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Skepticurus View Post
    Many NTs are physicalists and place a very strong emphasis on the scientific method, and hence, what is observable.
    perhaps, but I do not consider myself a NT type at this current moment.

I think in my case, I have a wider scope of what I consider part of the physical/observable world than the vast majority of people, which would thus seem unusual, although by rights, it should be "usual". Concepts for me like "the Supernatural", "Spirituality" etc. are utterly devoid of meaning, although this does not mean that my moods, emotions etc. do not often have a great sense of "meaningfulness" (even if I do not know what the meaning is, or why I value it) and vagueness (at times).

TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Aylen View Post
    I understand what you are saying but if you guys can't agree on the basic definitions, and how they could apply in either situation, you are probably not going to reach common ground other than agree to disagree. What is and isn't supernatural is a matter of opinion.
    You make a good point, but I did highlight that I was talking of nature\"natural" in the scientific usage, and in contrast with "supernatural".

Adjective
    natural ‎(comparative more natural, superlative most natural)

2. Of or relating to nature.
    Noun
    nature ‎(countable and uncountable, plural natures)

1. (uncountable) The natural world; consisting of all things unaffected by or predating human technology, production and design. e.g. the ecosystem, the natural environment, virgin ground, unmodified species, laws of nature.
    2. The innate characteristics of a thing. What something will tend by its own constitution, to be or do. Distinct from what might be expected or intended.
    3.The summary of everything that has to do with biological, chemical and physical states and events in the physical universe
    Aristotle's definition of Nature, (the earliest significant definition on the subject):
    "Nature" means:
    (a) in one sense, the genesis of growing things — as would be suggested by pronouncing the υ of φύσις long—and
    (b) in another, that immanent thing from which a growing thing first begins to grow.
    (c) The source from which the primary motion in every natural object is induced in that object as such. All things are said to grow which gain increase through something else by contact and organic unity (or adhesion, as in the case of embryos). Organic unity differs from contact; for in the latter case there need be nothing except contact, but in both the things which form an organic unity there is some one and the same thing which produces, instead of mere contact, a unity which is organic, continuous and quantitative (but not qualitative). Again, "nature" means
    (d) the primary stuff, shapeless and unchangeable from its own potency, of which any natural object consists or from which it is produced; e.g., bronze is called the "nature" of a statue and of bronze articles, and wood that of wooden ones, and similarly in all other cases. For each article consists of these "natures," the primary material persisting. It is in this sense that men call the elements of natural objects the "nature," some calling it fire, others earth or air or water, others something else similar, others some of these, and others all of them. Again in another sense "nature" means
    (e) the substance of natural objects; as in the case of those who say that the "nature" is the primary composition of a thing, or as Empedocles says: Of nothing that exists is there nature, but only mixture and separation of what has been mixed; nature is but a name given to these by men. Hence as regards those things which exist or are produced by nature, although that from which they naturally are produced or exist is already present, we say that they have not their nature yet unless they have their form and shape. That which comprises both of these exists by nature; e.g. animals and their parts. And nature is both the primary matter (and this in two senses: either primary in relation to the thing, or primary in general; e.g., in bronze articles the primary matter in relation to those articles is bronze, but in general it is perhaps water—that is if all things which can be melted are water) and the form or essence, i.e. the end of the process, of generation. Indeed from this sense of "nature," by an extension of meaning, every essence in general is called "nature," because the nature of anything is a kind of essence. From what has been said, then, the primary and proper sense of "nature" is the essence of those things which contain in themselves as such a source of motion; for the matter is called "nature" because it is capable of receiving the nature, and the processes of generation and growth are called "nature" because they are motions derived from it. And nature in this sense is the source of motion in natural objects, which is somehow inherent in them, either potentially or actually.
    More here, and also the thoughts of Francis Bacon: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nature...an_metaphysics

By contrast:
    Adjective
    supernatural ‎(comparative more supernatural, superlative most supernatural)

1.Above nature; that which is beyond or added to nature, often so considered because it is given by a deity or some force beyond that which humans are born with. In Roman Catholic theology, sanctifying grace is considered to be a supernatural addition to human nature.
    2.Not of the usual; not natural; altered by forces that are not understood fully if at all.
    3.Neither visible nor measurable.
    I would argue that if the supernatural is "above" nature (as I understand "nature"), and/or if it is neither visible or measurable, then quite simply, it does not exist.

By definition some things of the imagination fall under the definition of "supernatural". You do not believe these things exist due to no observable phenomena. Other people may say these things exist and have observed them but unless you have direct experience you see no reason to believe them and everything in your world can be explained by the current laws of nature/science therefore not supernatural.

You guys are kind of arguing against each other's subjective understandings of terms, laws, etc.. and it is not going to end in changing minds. People who view believing in, or accepting, the supernatural is attributed to an intuitive understanding of the world will probably not see you as an intuitive. STs, Sfs, and NTs, can believe in god or other supernatural claims and they are supposed to have the weaker intuition (not NTs). I think feeling is the most dominant function for some people who believe or don't believe. They either feel it or they don't. Believing in anything is usually accompanied by great feeling that it is true or not.

I have no problem with you dismissing supernatural claims since you have shown understanding and consideration when I have stated my subjective understanding of what I have experienced as supernatural. Even if you are skeptical or find it silly. I see no reason why that would point away from you being EII as it is explicitly stated in the EII description that EII are more likely to outright dismiss such claims as silly, unless they pertain to a specific religion the EII follows. Intuition is not "all knowing" in anyone, except me.
    I believe that the imagination is observable, by the mere fact that we ourselves are able to observe it. It doesn't matter if everybody else is not able to observe it.
    Last edited by Enters Laughing; 04-22-2016 at 07:19 PM.

TIM
    SLI 5w6
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I do but it doesn't matter as much as I used to think. Reason I believe? Gut instinct. It's that simple. Also, spirituality is a major component of my life. It may be a placebo to get myself back up whenever I fall into a rut, but shit, it works. And if it works, I consider it practical. I am a practical person, after all.

TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by yen View Post
    As far as I am concerned, believing in God is a choice.

To answer the question, yes, I do believe in God, I am aware that it cannot be proven, but I choose to, and I am allowed to make my own choice.

When it comes to the moral question, there are core morals which surface regardless of culture or time period, you could say these are natural morals embedded in us as humans. Of course you could say that those morals were formed by the process of evolution, and you could say evolution happened because (we don't know yet, but some sort of explanation waiting to happen starting with the spark of life), and the sun, the suns, the galaxies everything follows an order. I'm fine with that. Everything follows a natural order in the universe and I myself am part of that natural order. I choose to believe that everything has an order because it's been ordered by an intelligence, a creator. Now whether that intelligence gave birth to the creator symbiotically or whether the creator gave life to the universe and ourselves is sort of chicken and egg scenario in a way, and irrelevant. I choose to believe in the natural order of the universe therefore I choose to believe in an intelligent creation/creator and I choose to acknowledge I am a part of it, therefore in any way I acknowledge the guiding hand of the universe so you can say I acknowledge God.

That's a fraction of my belief when it comes to the deity.

Can that be respected?
    I don't feel like I "choose" to believe or not believe. It seems absurd to me that someone could believe or disbelieve contrary to their natural inclination. You do not simply "choose" to believe that the Moon exists.

I also find it deeply offensive when people say my "chosen" disbelief will cause me to suffer in hell for eternity.

I do not believe that the belief in the supernatural can be respected, as it is contrary to all evidence, and must necessarily be so. The idea of an intelligent, and benevolent creator is even more credulous. At least when people support football teams, they can usually find some plausible reasons for doing so.

I was always told by my father that "You do not "prove" a person, you know a person." (I don't know why he thought this a clever argument, because you often "proof" people, whether via DNA, passports, dental records, background checks...speaking to them face-to-face). I seriously cannot believe the amount of time wasted on the matter of whether god exists. It is simply contrary to all reason, especially considering how it would compare to proving the existence of a person. I also cannot see why such a belief is portrayed as a virtue.

TIM
    psyche 4w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    1005 Post(s)
    Tagged
    42 Thread(s)

You make a good point, but I did highlight that I was talking of nature\"natural" in the scientific usage, and in contrast with "supernatural".

Aristotle's definition of Nature, (the earliest significant definition on the subject):

More here, and also the thoughts of Francis Bacon: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nature...an_metaphysics

By contrast:

I would argue that if the supernatural is "above" nature (as I understand "nature"), and/or if it is neither visible or measurable, then quite simply, it does not exist.

I believe that the imagination is observable, by the mere fact that we ourselves are able to observe it. It doesn't matter if everybody else is not able to observe it.
    “But the love of wilderness is more than a hunger for what is always beyond reach; it is also an expression of loyalty to the earth which bore us and sustains us, the only home we shall ever know, the only paradise we ever need—if only we had the eyes to see” ~ Edward Abbey

YWIMW

TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

“But the love of wilderness is more than a hunger for what is always beyond reach; it is also an expression of loyalty to the earth which bore us and sustains us, the only home we shall ever know, the only paradise we ever need—if only we had the eyes to see” ~ Edward Abbey

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EvC4XxnrvaA
    O May I join the choir invisible
    Of those immortal dead who live again
    In minds made better by their presence: live
    In pulses stirr’d to generosity,
    In deeds of daring rectitude, in scorn
    For miserable aims that end with self,
    In thoughts sublime that pierce the night like stars,
    And with their mild persistence urge man’s search
    To vaster issues.
    So to live is heaven:
    To make undying music in the world,
    Breathing as beauteous order that controls
    With growing sway the growing life of man.
    So we inherit that sweet purity
    For which we struggled, fail’d, and agoniz’d
    With widening retrospect that bred despair.
    Rebellious flesh that would not be subdued,
    A vicious parent shaming still its child,
    Poor anxious penitence, is quick dissolv’d;
    Its discords, quench’d by meeting harmonies,
    Die in the large and charitable air.
    And all our rarer, better, truer self,
    That sobb’d religiously in yearning song,
    That watch’d to ease the burthen of the world,
    Laboriously tracing what must be,
    And what may yet be better,—saw within
    A worthier image for the sanctuary,
    And shap’d it forth before the multitude,
    Divinely human, raising worship so
    To higher reverence more mix’d with love,—
    That better self shall live till human Time
    Shall fold its eyelids, and the human sky
    Be gather’d like a scroll within the tomb Unread forever.
    This is life to come,
    Which martyr’d men have made more glorious
    For us who strive to follow. May I reach
    That purest heaven, be to other souls
    The cup of strength in some great agony,
    Enkindle generous ardor, feed pure love,
    Beget the smiles that have no cruelty,
    Be the sweet presence of a good diffus’d,
    And in diffusion ever more intense!
    So shall I join the choir invisible
    Whose music is the gladness of the world.

~ George Eliot

TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Demonstrative - Introverted Intuition, Ni
    The individual is quite adept at following discussions on the developments of present trends into the future and at contributing to them on occasion if he feels so inclined, but he does not take that as seriously compared to investigating possibilities in the areas he is interested in at present. He usually dismisses supernatural claims as being silly, wishful thinking, unless they happen to be related to the very specific religion he feels inclined to believe in and which he may be inclined to make part of his leisure activities.
    The individual is also not naive to future happenings. He will often warn others of negative consequences. In this way, he uses his Ni to help the PoLR of his dual. However, unlike an EIE, he will not often take his own advice nor expect others to. His Se PoLR makes it impossible for him to demand that others heed his advice, and his Ne-ego makes him place more value in the possibility that he is wrong - and that things will play out differently - than in avoiding foreseeable disasters.
    Sociotypes: Profiles by Functional Assignments
    INFj, ENFp, ISTp, ESTj

I think there's a danger though of picking and choosing from descriptions (as a whole, or singly) that be rather variable and perhaps seemingly contradictory at times.

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

I don't feel like I "choose" to believe or not believe. It seems absurd to me that someone could believe or disbelieve contrary to their natural inclination. You do not simply "choose" to believe that the Moon exists.

I also find it deeply offensive when people say my "chosen" disbelief will cause me to suffer in hell for eternity.

I do not believe that the belief in the supernatural can be respected, as it is contrary to all evidence, and must necessarily be so. The idea of an intelligent, and benevolent creator is even more credulous. At least when people support football teams, they can usually find some plausible reasons for doing so.

I was always told by my father that "You do not "prove" a person, you know a person." (I don't know why he thought this a clever argument, because you often "proof" people, whether via DNA, passports, dental records, background checks...speaking to them face-to-face). I seriously cannot believe the amount of time wasted on the matter of whether god exists. It is simply contrary to all reason, especially considering how it would compare to proving the existence of a person. I also cannot see why such a belief is portrayed as a virtue.
    Evidence?

No one needs to see to believe. There's a lot that we can't see.
    -

TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Evidence?

No one needs to see to believe. There's a lot that we can't see.
    It may be true that no one "needs" to see to believe, anymore than anyone needs to have a reason to support a football team.

However, in the case of the supernatural, it is flatly the case that there is no logic to claims of the existence of the supernatural, nevermind the fact there is no evidence (and never will be).

Also, you fail to understand the significance of the scientific definition of "observable", which I find rather incredible.
    Last edited by Enters Laughing; 04-23-2016 at 12:05 AM.

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

It may be true that no "needs" to see to believe, anymore than anyone needs to have a reason to support a football team.

However, in the case of the supernatural, it is flatly the case that there is no logic to claims of the existence of the supernatural, nevermind the fact there is no evidence (and never will be).

Also, you fail to understand the significance of the scientific definition of "observable", which I find rather incredible.
    Oh I understand "observable" in the scientific sense. Hum
    -

TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Oh I understand "observable" in the scientific sense. Hum
    Can you give examples of things we have evidence for that we cannot observe?

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Yeah I'll have my SEE friend give you an example. You'll like her explanation much more, seeing both of you areon the same boat
    -

TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Yeah I'll have my SEE friend give you an example. You'll like her explanation much more, seeing both of you areon the same boat
    This sentence is Se

You are relating an object to an object.

(
    This sentence is Se

You are relating an object to an object.
    )

TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by yen View Post
    This is the problem I see, EII don't go hurting people intentionally whether they are male or female. No way you are my dual. Quit bullying please, otherwise you make me want to quit the forum I don't like seeing belligerence.

You may think you are fighting a cause, but trampling on peoples beliefs is wrong and an Fi seeking person won't talk to you about their own thoughts to confide, also two wrongs don't make a right.

Do as you want but you're lowered in my eyes and you make me no longer want to be here with your belligerence in hurting and punishing people. Try Gamma or Beta quadra, again, no way EII.

PS I don't care about your supposed retyping of Maritsa, just stop bullying and harassing people while having EII attached to you, please, you confuse people
    I am not hurting anybody intentionally. I am insulted that you could say that.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Certain phenomenon that doesn't make sense fits that bill. Like there might be a 4th dimension but we lack certain things to tell for sure.

Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910111213 LastLast