Thread: The earth is round

Hybrid View

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Subteigh View Post
    A scientific theory must be based on observable phenomena.

I see that you are quoting from a play that debuted at The Globe more than 400 years ago.
    To add to that, what he posted is what we call an informal fallacy, and spending time combating ignorance and stupidity is never a waste of time... Those types of appeals are classical among cults and religions etc desperate for credibility, and thus why the reliance on formal and informal fallacies .. When people address such ignorance , it does not mean their fantasy has any real world credibility.. He was are essentially pleading for credibility he didn't have.. No more so than the crank videos we have thus far seen in this discussion..
    Last edited by TheJackal; 01-24-2016 at 04:39 PM.

Banned
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TheJackal View Post
    That BTW what he posted is what we call an informal fallacy, and spending time combating ignorance and stupidity is never a waste of time... Those types of appeals are classical among cults and religions etc desperate for credibility, and thus why the reliance on formal and informal fallacies .. When people address such ignorance , it does not mean their fantasy has any real world credibility.. He was are essentially pleading for credibility he didn't have.. No more so than the crank videos we have thus far seen in this discussion..
    Reading through the flat earth wikipedia and forums, there are a lot of well informed intelligent individuals there, so if "spending time combating ignorance and stupidity is never a waste of time" why are you wasting time trying to force your preferred theory about the shape of the earth at these informed and intelligent individuals? It seems to me sir that you are taking pot shots at people who disagree with you, which is a very dishonest debating tactic. Which is known as an ad hominem to justify your closed off and aggressive behaviors. Informed as you are, I believe people can see that you are not the person to turn to for an impartial, balanced view of the subject, but that your own behavior is cult like such as the behavior you try to discredit me and many others with also.

TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by job View Post
    Reading through the flat earth wikipedia and forums, there are a lot of well informed intelligent individuals there, so if "spending time combating ignorance and stupidity is never a waste of time" why are you wasting time trying to force your preferred theory about the shape of the earth at these informed and intelligent individuals? It seems to me sir that you are taking pot shots at people who disagree with you, which is a very dishonest debating tactic. Which is known as an ad hominem to justify your closed off and aggressive behaviors. Informed as you are, I believe people can see that you are not the person to turn to for an impartial, balanced view of the subject, but that your own behavior is cult like such as the behavior you try to discredit me and many others with also.
    Your attempt to use as 'evidence' someone's apparent willingness to debate the topic with you only shows that you don't have any good evidence, and that you see everything as proving that the Earth is flat. This is surely a manifestation of cult-like behaviour. By your logic, you debating the matter proves that the Earth isn't flat, because you spend an even greater amount of your time on the matter. So you are not even correct on your own terms. You are not even a joke that makes sense.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Subteigh View Post
    Your attempt to use as 'evidence' someone's apparent willingness to debate the topic with you only shows that you don't have any good evidence, and that you see everything as proving that the Earth is flat. This is surely a manifestation of cult-like behaviour. By your logic, you debating the matter proves that the Earth isn't flat, because you spend an even greater amount of your time on the matter. So you are not even correct on your own terms. You are not even a joke that makes sense.
    I would say the more intelligent ones on their site are POE.. I know two who are , but I would agree that his responses in regards to me are nothing more than dogmatic irrelevancy .. Furthermore I don't think he knows what intelligence even means. I believe his context was to say there are some knowledgeable people there, but intelligence is the ability to grasp and apply knowledge, and we most certainly don't see them in the scientific arena providing practical applications in regards to their fantastical beliefs anymore so than the hollow Earthers.
    Last edited by TheJackal; 01-25-2016 at 02:02 AM.

Banned
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TheJackal View Post
    I would say the more intelligent ones on their site are POE.. I know two who are , but I would agree that his responses in regards to me are nothing more than dogmatic irrelevancy .. Furthermore I don't think he knows what intelligence even means. I believe his context was to say there are some knowledgeable people there, but intelligence is the ability to apply knowledge, and we most certainly don't see them in the scientific arena providing practical applications in regards to their fantastical beliefs anymore so than the hollow Earthers.
    Psychologists are not able to agree on the definition of intelligence, so I doubt you or your cherrypicking of a particular dictionary are qualified to claim the definition.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intelligence#Definitions

It is a question of listening to your credentials, your academic honesty, before accepting what you say as truth, it is far more efficient to judge an individuals character before making a decision if the 'expert' in question, you for instance, should be trusted, than spending hours researching the walls of text that you post and picking it apart when there are no tangible rewards, at least with the likes of you.

As for the justification of FE, there are numerous articles out there, and you yourself spent over a year arguing over them, but they still stand undebunked despite your dogmatic use of your time on the matter and there are thousands of people who find them fascinating and correctly informative.

TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by job View Post
    Psychologists are not able to agree on the definition of intelligence, so I doubt you or your cherrypicking of a particular dictionary are qualified to claim the definition.
    Considering that human beings in general are in disagreement over things which are readily apparent, this is a meaningless point.

@job, does your name indicate you are a Flat Earther of the Iron Age "Abrahamic" variety?